New Forum Reputation System

jcarlilesiu

Some of you have noticed the newly implemented reputation system we are testing out on the forum.

Essentially, its a uncontrolled method of helping the forum to have credible and well thought out posts. Users can have their "reputation" increased if other users feel that their post was helpful or informative and presented in a factual way which benefits the community.

In each post you will see a small button that says "Karma" at the top right corner of the post. By clicking on that button, you provide credibility to the post which benefits whoever posted it.

Below your user name you will also see a little blue box. Hovering your mouse over this box tells you the level of reputation that the user has obtained. You can also click "Karma" in your own post and it will tell you how many points you have. As more people give your posts reputation the more blue boxes you will build.

There are no prizes for your reputation level and this isn't a contest. It's is simply a method to award members who regularly contribute to the forum with meaningful and objective posts to get some credit. Best yet... the credit comes from fellow members.

The is a system that allows and promotes good quality posts, so don't abuse it. If it works out, then it will be around for the long haul.

Post any questions about the new system here.

SkullV

What about for the people that post something totally wrong is there a discredit?
I was also curious about this, and also whether or not the disaproval is anonymous.

I asked jcarlilesiu about what happened when you select you "disaprove" and he recommended I post it here as the administrator just implemented this new system.

jcarlilesiu

Also, by clicking on "User CP" button at the top, you can see the reputation you have received and a the comment they left you (if any).

jcarlilesiu

I was also curious about this, and also whether or not the disaproval is anonymous.

I asked jcarlilesiu about what happened when you select you "disaprove" and he recommended I post it here as the administrator just implemented this new system.
I do know that the entire system is anonymous, so unless the person tells you who it was you wont know.

SkullV

It states that a comment must be left for negative reputation. Will this also be anonymous or will a name be attached to the comment?

The reefer

This sounds interesting but I think ppl well b more offended by this. Especially if they dont get along with everybody. This will b kinda pushing them away from the forum. But I could b wrong.

jcarlilesiu

It states that a comment must be left for negative reputation. Will this also be anonymous or will a name be attached to the comment?
Not sure, but pretty sure its anonymous. Send me one negative and lets see.

Just put down "I don't like what you are saying" and don't put your name.

jcarlilesiu

This sounds interesting but I think ppl well b more offended by this. Especially if they dont get along with everybody. This will b kinda pushing them away from the forum. But I could b wrong.
We think that this is a good way to encourage people to consider what others think of their posts and how they interact and contribute. Members who consistently provide solid information in a clear, concise, and thought out manner will earn more reputation. This should be rewarded by showing others that they are a top contributor, not simply in the amount of posts but the quality.

If people are consistently receiving more bad posts than positive, then they should consider if how they are posting, or what they are posting, and consider if they are really helping the community.

They system is completely anonymous.

SkullV

What about for the people that post something totally wrong is there a discredit?
Not sure, but pretty sure its anonymous. Send me one negative and lets see.

Just put down "I don't like what you are saying" and don't put your name.
Ha, I already gave you positive earlier and now it won't let me give you another one yet.

It said "you must spread reputation around before giving it to you again".

jcarlilesiu

Ha, I already gave you positive earlier and now it won't let me give you another one yet.

It said "you must spread reputation around before giving it to you again".
I assume it works the same way as the positive. The user can't see who it came from unless the person types there name in the "comments" section. I would assume that the negatives do take away reputation points.

Heidi

Am I the only person that thinks the negative is kinda mean? There are so many different approaches to this hobby that to give someone negative karma because you disagree with there opinion seems counter productive in encouraging people to post. Rewards by positive karma are great, but the negative option may cause issues between members, and bring down the moral of the forum. Just my 2cents
Heidi

The reefer

+1 heidi. Mayb take off the negative karma that way it doesn't start to get personal in the future. This is like giving a fireworks to a kids. Sooner or later sum1 is gonna get burned.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
-Mom

I'd vote to remove the negative comments if it's possible.

jcarlilesiu

I will bring everybodies opinions under consideration of the entire staff.

Keep in mind that the negative reputation isn't about WHAT you said, but how you said it. If a member is in a healthy debate with opposing opinions, but each member is able to present their case in an objective, logical, and respectful manner... That is a positive whether you agree with their position or not. Not negative.

Sent from my HTC android on tapatalk

poidog

It's just a fun little tool guys. Don't take it so literally. I'm gonnal negative karma all o'yalls!

j/j :D

SkullV

Couple more questions:

How does the system attribute a value to a given Karma post? They seem to be all over the board.

How many karma posts do you have to make before you can leave a second post for a given member?