New Forum Reputation System

trackfast

Princess Trainer
"If people don't have the courage to make a nasty comment to my face (in a pm or whatever) they shouldn't be allowed to do it anonymously by hurting my "reputation".

I agree with Heidi; there shouldn't be anonymous posting of any kind. Stand by what you say/post or don"t do it at all.

SkullV

Nope, no wars here. I always give good karma to those that deserve and negative to those that deserve it. I have given positive to people I dislike personally and negative to people who are my good friends.

jcarlilesiu

"If people don't have the courage to make a nasty comment to my face (in a pm or whatever) they shouldn't be allowed to do it anonymously by hurting my "reputation".

I agree with Heidi; there shouldn't be anonymous posting of any kind. Stand by what you say/post or don"t do it at all.
I disagree.

Many times, arguments on here start because people say something they shouldn't, offend somebody else, and then all hell breaks loose.

This system allows the rest of the users to hurt the reputation of people who simply cause problems and contribute nothing to the site. If I were to "say it to somebodies face", wouldn't that negativity be worthy of a negative reputation as well?

Plus, everybody is focusing on the negatives. I have given a lot of positive reputations.

I think we just have a bunch of people that have something to prove on here, rather than just helping out fellow reefs. This system will help all the other members see who those trouble makers are at a glance.

jcarlilesiu

Nope, no wars here. I always give good karma to those that deserve and negative to those that deserve it. I have given positive to people I dislike personally and negative to people who are my good friends.
Thanks for using the system the way intended!

Most internet forums have a reputation system. I am not sure why people on this forum are generally so adverse to it.

ColorMeCorals

No wars?? Care to explain what you did to get banned here???

The reefer

Come on guys that's in the past. Ted just said that he is doing the right thing with the karma and Jake thanked him for that. So y keep bringing it up. Alonst looking for a argument to start.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
If someone is causing problems wouldn't you be getting positive points for calling that member out? haven't given any negative points to any member. But if I do get negative karma from someone, i woild like to know why and from whom.

jcarlilesiu

If someone is causing problems wouldn't you be getting positive points for calling that member out? haven't given any negative points to any member. But if I do get negative karma from someone, i woild like to know why and from whom.
It will tell you why. People have to enter a reason.

The reefer

I don't think it's right to give positive karma to ppl calling out trouble makers. To me that starting the argument so y do that? And is this karma points really gonna help or hurt ur status or anything here?

SkullV

Not true ( - ) is all you need . Just look at SkullV "s first negative to me that started this mess.
And you know this came from me how? I KNOW that I am not the only one that feels the way I do about your posts. I honestly think the Karma thing is kind of worthless, but I don't mind getting a negative. Unlike some I am here for reasons other than to make a buck. I hope people judge posts on their own merits and not on someone's "karma".

jcarlilesiu

I don't think it's right to give positive karma to ppl calling out trouble makers. To me that starting the argument so y do that? And is this karma points really gonna help or hurt ur status or anything here?
Its purely reputation.

The higher the reputation you have, the more little boxes under your name.

Its just a way to show that you often contribute to the forum in a positive manner.

Its like a medal. Does it really "do anything". No, but its nice to wear around!

SkullV

And you know this came from me how? I KNOW that I am not the only one that feels the way I do about your posts. I honestly think the Karma thing is kind of worthless, but I don't mind getting a negative. Unlike some I am here for reasons other than to make a buck. I hope people judge posts on their own merits and not on someone's "karma".
Thanks for the positive Karma on this post!

The reefer

Its purely reputation.

The higher the reputation you have, the more little boxes under your name.

Its just a way to show that you often contribute to the forum in a positive manner.

Its like a medal. Does it really "do anything". No, but its nice to wear around!
Good just to make it clear. Nobody is gonna have a perfect score. All these posts r our experiences and opinions. No 2 tanks r the same so sum1 might not like the advise given so u get negative karma. It's not bad just b honest and don't hold grudges.

Heidi

I disagree.

Many times, arguments on here start because people say something they shouldn't, offend somebody else, and then all hell breaks loose.

This system allows the rest of the users to hurt the reputation of people who simply cause problems and contribute nothing to the site. If I were to "say it to somebodies face", wouldn't that negativity be worthy of a negative reputation as well?

Plus, everybody is focusing on the negatives. I have given a lot of positive reputations.

I think we just have a bunch of people that have something to prove on here, rather than just helping out fellow reefs. This system will help all the other members see who those trouble makers are at a glance.
I do not cause problems. I am new here and generally I post a ton on other forums. I don't post because I have anything to prove. I post when I see a person seeking advice and I happen to know a solution to the problem at hand. I may post in people's build threads to encourage them and compliment the beautiful reefs I see. I do a little "plus one" in the forums that hold an answer that is exactly what i would have posted. I may occasionally post in my "lfs" forum if he has something super great, as a compliment to him. However, because of the whole "don't feed the troll" negative "karma" I have been very timid here to pay any complements. I have also noticed i have a general bad feeling when coming here, as if it were an exclusive club that doesn't welcome newcomers or "outsiders".
So if you say this system is to "show the trouble makers" Why would ANYONE want to pay any compliments, else be deemed a "trouble maker"?
In real life (not the crazy online realm of forum land) I am a sensitive person who cares deeply of my reputation. If the person who gave me negative karma would have said "this post is off topic" or "I don't understand" or "this makes very little sense" I can see how that would help the users of this site. I love constructive criticism in real life. It is how we better ourselves and grow as people. The "constructive criticism" I was left (Don't feed the trolls--on a post where I told another reefer they had a beautiful tank and because of that they must be doing everything right) only made my distasteful feeling for this place grow, and me shrink as a poster because of the "karma" I might receive.
So at a quick glance, I am a "trouble maker", and or have "something to prove"? These things were very untrue but now branded as such, why try and undo it? If my poor Karma is a sham what then holds true of the other positive Karma people receive? A nonsensical positive holds as much weight as a logical? I silly and pointless negative destroys just as effectively as a legitimate need for improvement? What again is the point of this system?

Heidi