Ph?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm in the "your probe is wrong" camp. 6.8 is very low and unlikely. Alk is a ph buffer so if it is in line, you ph is likely not too far out of balance.

I doubt smoking in the room has any impact. I have a ventless fireplace in the same room as my tank and I use is somewhat often. Hasn't caused issues.

I don't even have a ph test.

maidia

Team CR
could you add baking soda to your top off water to raise the pH slowly?
I highly doubt your pH is 6.8. Calcium reactors run at around 6.5. I think at 6.8, you're coral skeletons will start to dissolve.

Also, the pH should be highest just before lights out and lowest in the morning before the lights turn on.

I wouldn't do anything until you calibrate your monitor.
+1, when running the CALR if the PH lower than 6.8 (some set at 6.95) then turn off the CO2..

labas39

What's the pH of distilled water? I would think it's at 7. I don't have any to test but if it's 7, then you can use that for a quick confirmation.

I just tested my RO/DI water and it was in the 8's so it's no help.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I run my frag tank on an opposite light schedule from my display and my dosers only run when the main display light is off.

That seems to keep the pH stable but I don't chase it if it goes a little out of wack.. I just check salinity, kH, and Ca and if that is fine, no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk