Planning a new system- sneak peak

MMreef

That's why I call it a Beast :heh: 8x39W T5, 2x75W LED, all dimmable on independent channels. This should light up my tank very nicely. Anybody who thinks this is way overpriced, you need to see it in person, it is build like Ferrari. For the price of two Radions it is so much better and has so much more spread. Led clusters are replaceable, so with new LED technology in the future it is an easy swap.

DJE

Wow that's a monster. This is going to look great with the new setup and this is not overpriced. This is one component that can't be skimped on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettz16

Cant wait to see that thing light up! If i had the $, i would absolutely choose that fixture over any other, hybrids are the way to go.

MMreef

Also started working on my tank. This is what I started with:

I got this Elos with a cracked back panel from a good friend of mine. Brand new , unfortunately damaged during delivery. Decided to take crack at it and fix it. Removed broken panel and also removed stock overflow box. Cleaned up most of silicone, still have some left to do but not much.

Got my new glass cut and drill from a glass shop. Dry fitted looks like this:

Hoping to finish it during Fourth of July weekend when I have more time off. Right now very crazy busy at work.

Also starting on my metal stand. Here is the plan for a frame

edsbeaker

Can't wait to see it filled up, Mark. You can do some beautiful rock work with a tank that size. Oh, and that light, be careful. After just watching the video I'm on my way to my ophthalmologist to get my burned eyes fixed. :becky:

MMreef

Tank is finally done. Siliconed back panel and reseal the whole tank. I am very happy how it turned out. For first time working with silicone my seams came out great. Now this weekend the big test. Hopefully it will hold water, no leaks. I took my time doing it right, so I am hopeful it will work. Next project is to build the metal stand. I got metal tubing cut and ready to go. Friend of mine works in metal shop, I got a great deal on it for only $60. He will weld it for me as well, for free. This should be done within a week.
Some pictures of tank with installed XAqua overflow.

MMreef

You are a brave brave man!! I can't wait to see this filled with fish and coral!!!
Got to be brave in life. Worst is, it will burst during water test and I will be out few hundred dollars. Got a great,great deal on this tank, so if it doesn't work it is no big deal, but I am confident it will be fine. I used RTV 103 black silicone, one off the strongest industrial silicone out there, took my time to do the seams right, no air bubbles, all glass prior to gluing was cleaned perfectly and prep with acetone. If it holds I have customized Elos for a fraction of $2500 that it normally sells for.:dance:

ColaAddict

Sweet tank. When will you water test it? And for how long are you going to keep it full before emptying again and filling with saltwater?

MMreef

Sweet tank. When will you water test it? And for how long are you going to keep it full before emptying again and filling with saltwater?
Water test will start this weekend and I am planning to leave it for couple of weeks filled with water. Silicone is fully cured, it was three weeks ago when I finished the tank. I figured, any problems will show up within couple of weeks.