Poison Dart Frogs - my build and general info

jrpark22000

Premium member
Part 3 and 4 of the PDFs mating/calling. In part 3, you can see either the male is quite inexperienced or just a klutz. He ends up kicking her away, then ends up on top of her backwards....
Part 4 is all the cool lose ups of the calling.

[video=youtube;Brkv4oSFrOc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brkv4oSFrOc[/video]

[video=youtube;BuCNZUuLws0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuCNZUuLws0[/video]

MikeyB

I just read through this whole thread, not sure how i ever missed it. Beautiful Setup you have going there. Seems like a lot of work to keep that vivarium looking like that and keeping the frogs happy but it definitely seems to be worth it

jrpark22000

Premium member
I just read through this whole thread, not sure how i ever missed it. Beautiful Setup you have going there. Seems like a lot of work to keep that vivarium looking like that and keeping the frogs happy but it definitely seems to be worth it
Thanks Mike. Actually quite the opposite, it's actually pretty easy to maintain. It wasn't cheap to setup but with all the automation, it's hands off. On a weekly basis, I refil the ATO, trim plants, clean the glass and a 100% water change every other week. The hardest part is keeping the fruit fly cultures going and in the right stage or production to always have some ready to feed. Dart frogs are feed every other day and tree frogs are feed once every 4 days.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I'll add this for anyone following along and thinking about keeping these guys as a bedroom pet.

DON'T DO IT!!!

The males start calling about 10 min before lights on for the first several hours every morning. They call every 1-3 minutes lasting for 10+ seconds for each call. For anyone who has been to my placce, you can appreciate how far this is, I can hear them calling up in the kitchen. While it's not annoying, their call is pleasing like a birds call but I still wouldn't want them in the bedroom.

jrpark22000

Premium member
well, 5 of 6 eggs from the latest clutch have formed into early tadpoles.

Thinking about raising them just for grins.

[video=youtube;i95gToLLTvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95gToLLTvk[/video]

madjoe

Premium member
The female enjoying her new home, it's awesme to see her in the new larger enriched environment. He's a fat ole bastard who doens't move unless it's feeding time (second photo in the back.)

View attachment 19039

View attachment 19040
What the secret to these guys mine died in fact all my tree frogs did . Well i have two reg green left everything else lives dam tomato frog got huge and salamander hides 365 days a yr but hes alive lol

jrpark22000

Premium member
What the secret to these guys mine died in fact all my tree frogs did . Well i have two reg green left everything else lives dam tomato frog got huge and salamander hides 365 days a yr but hes alive lol
Honestly, they're pretty damm easy compared to my reef. I make sure and keep the humidity and temp in range for the species. Otherwise, only feed them enough to maintian weight, dusting in repcal and a little herpavite. Water is changed every other week in this habitat, but the old one was changed weekly to keep it clean enough. They get misted with rodi once a week or so. The old errarium was established from the previous owner of the male frog and it had worms, so i feed crickets powdered with dewormer once weekly.

the previous owner said the male was 6 or so yrs old when i got him and I've had him 3 or so years. Not very active anymore but still croaking here and there.

jrpark22000

Premium member
New habitat is looking amazing. Enjoy seeing these updates

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Thanks. I need to do them more often, but usually just forget. I really should update the pics and a video of the dart frog tank, it's great how it has all filled in. Not to mention the frogs have finally learned to lay their eggs in a bromeliad, so there may be tad poles hatching in a couple of months.

madjoe

Premium member
Well josh i got two new toys to play with today was suposse to sell em for a friend but im just gonna buy them my self lol. One will be a frog tank think they r about 30 one is drilled on bottom that one will work perfect for my idea has canister filter i will set up a pond and waterfall use the canister filter to run it