Poison Dart Frogs - my build and general info

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thank you Sir! I hope to not need the luck but I'll take it. I'll do my best on keeping photos coming. Other than chicago reptile house I'll need to wait for the Tinley reptile show in October to get the second RETF. Either this or next month I'll meet up with a reefer to get a bunch of dart supplies.

Just FYI for anyone following I've added another book to the list of things to get. Vet referenace material for amphibians. It should give me a good understanding of medications I need to have on hand to treat common illness.

Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry - Brent R. Whitaker

The 2 already on my book wish list;

Poison Frogs - Jewels of the Rainforest - Jerry G. Walls; Hardcover
Poison Frogs: Biology, Species & Captive Husbandry - Stefan Lotters;

I've also picked up 4 other books from amazon recently for the RETF. I've yet to receive any. All were $4 or so shipped each.

Frogs, Toads, and Treefrogs (Barron's Complete Pet Owner's Manuals) - Bartlett, R.D
Popular Tree Frogs (Herpetocultural Library, The) - Vosjoli, Philippe De
Care and Breeding of Popular Tree Frogs: A Practical Manual for the Serious Hobbyist - Philippe de Vosjoli
Tree Frogs (Complete Herp Care) - Edmonds, Devin

maidia

Team CR
Where can I find the background? I want to set up one. Thanks.

Beautiful, Josh...

The silicone background has finally cured, so here it is installed with plants put into the wall.

This is all on the bottom shelf of the plant stand previously pictured.

View attachment 15681

View attachment 15682

The glass dish in front is what I feed crickets in. This allows me to verify how many he ate and remove any he didn't.
View attachment 15683

There are 3 broms(1 unknown from previous owner, a fireball, and a hannibal lector)
A jewel orchid(Goodyera schelechtendeliana)
Pilea glauca (Red Stem Tears)
A common heart leaved philodendron
The bottom is covered in sheet moss with a cork bark tube stream.
There is a false bottom, with a layer of clay leca, then a layer of eco earth.
View attachment 15684

The little guy sleeping. He won't move until about 30 minutes after the lights go out tonight. The fans were reused from my old nano, so the guards have a bit of salt spray rust.
View attachment 15685

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks Mia.

Actually it's a custom wall. A good percentage of reefers already have the most of the supplies, which is so cool to be able to reuse skills and equipment.

You can either spray great stuff foam (pond safe black stuff) directly onto the glass or as I did, build an egg crate panel that fits the back wall. Spray the egg crate with the foam and let it harden. Carve out some pockets for plants, then cover the background in aquariums safe silicone (I used clear GE silicone #1.). While the silicone is still wet cover it in ZooMed exo-earth(ground coconut husks,) link below. Let it cure and poof, you have a background.

The benefit of the egg crate background is ease of cleaning, changing, removal, and general maintenance. When it is fixed to the back glass you are stuck with what you get. Mine just pops in and out in a few seconds.

http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=231&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

Here is a decent vid on how to make the foam wall directly on the glass. I couldn’t find an example vid for foam on egg crate.

[video=youtube;_lDS_pr9OLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDS_pr9OLo[/video]

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
As for supplies of the frog stuff, plants, cricket food/gel, and all the oddities; I've found josh's frogs (www.joshsfrogs.com) to have what I need at good pricing and they are in MI so quick shipping. Their website is dog slow, but worth the hastle.

If anyone needs it I can list out all the suppiles, (substrates, moss, pump, etc) that I used for the build to date.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Picked up some pretty awesome timers that can be used in reef tanks too. These little guys have 20 programs!! Each program has an on and off time and can be set for any day or combination of days. I poped one open and confirmed they run on ni-mh battery so they won't die and need replacing.

Westek TE22DHB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005057OT0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Until Neptune sys comes out with a relative humidity probe looks like I'll be stuck using timers and the zoomed temp/humidity controllers.

maidia

Team CR
Josh, I got a tank but I think not big enough so I may looking for another tank. I don't like frog and lizard (I eat them not feed them he he) what else can I put in the terrarium tank? I like the tank like a jungle with water fall. Thanks.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Not much meat on a tree or dart frog, lol. The only other animals I've seen in jungle vivariums are salamanders, green tree snakes and chameleons. I'm not familiar with any of them, so you'll need to do proper research. Newts are a possibility but I believe they require a large water volume and would actually be a palladium, not a vivarium.

Maybe some others with more experience will jump in to help.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Those are both very nice setups. You'll probably like this video;

[video=youtube;Dsk6x148ttk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsk6x148ttk[/video]

I think turtles need more water to swim and tortoises need it dryer. I've never seen or read about a turtle kept in a jungle terrarium.

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Fun fact, the Red Eyed Tree Frog (from now on referred to as RETF) drinks with their butt!

Well kind of. To rehydrate the sit with their posterior immersed in water. Either hanging onto the glass and dipping their bottom in water, or but sitting on a rock and submersing their belly and butt.

I'll try and get a photo.