Red Sea 250

ultimatemj

Sorry for the really long reply . I have no answer for the PE besides stable water and good lighting. I think seeing PE means things are going in the right direction. So if you you make any changes keep them small ones and let the tank acclimate.
Well something is certainly going well!

So you mind sharing your parameters ?
Salinity
All
Cal
Mag
NO3
PO4
Par
Flow
Dosing
Other additives
Water volume and fish count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockhead

Well something is certainly going well!

So you mind sharing your parameters ?
Salinity
All
Cal
Mag
NO3
PO4
Par
Flow
Dosing
Other additives
Water volume and fish count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9.5-10.0 Hanna
410 Red Sea
1450 maybe higher Red Sea
.04 .06 Red Sea
.23 Hanna
Par not sure, 6 bulb 8” above water 9hr full on and 1.5 before and after for dusk to dawn
Flow Mp40 x2 max 65%
Cal reactor
Good food feed every other day

5gal water change every weekend

64gal total volume 6 fish and a eel

ultimatemj

9.5-10.0 Hanna
410 Red Sea
1450 maybe higher Red Sea
.04 .06 Red Sea
.23 Hanna
Par not sure, 6 bulb 8” above water 9hr full on and 1.5 before and after for dusk to dawn
Flow Mp40 x2 max 65%
Cal reactor
Good food feed every other day

5gal water change every weekend

64gal total volume 6 fish and a eel
Helpful, thanks!

Couple of things stick out to me...
Alk above 8 "drives" growth and relies even more on stability of that number (than say something in the 7 to 8 range). Guessing the Cal reactor is what's making that work...

Nice N03 & P04 numbers...I find it challenging to stay there. My N03 tends toward zero and then the P04 climbs.

Not daily feedings...what/how much are you feeding every other day?

Weekly water changes? Is that "just siphon out 5g and replace" or is there more to the WC?

And the one I forgot to ask about...cleanup crew? Mine was eaten by my Cosmetus wrasse :(

rockhead

Helpful, thanks!

Couple of things stick out to me...
Alk above 8 "drives" growth and relies even more on stability of that number (than say something in the 7 to 8 range). Guessing the Cal reactor is what's making that work...

Nice N03 & P04 numbers...I find it challenging to stay there. My N03 tends toward zero and then the P04 climbs.

Not daily feedings...what/how much are you feeding every other day?

Weekly water changes? Is that "just siphon out 5g and replace" or is there more to the WC?

And the one I forgot to ask about...cleanup crew? Mine was eaten by my Cosmetus wrasse :(

So yes the cal reactor keeps my alk higher then I like but see no ill affects from this so I just leave it,

With having the eel my skimmer is dump out weekly full of black skimmate but he also keeps up the po4 and n03 so again I just left it alone, back in the day I use to dump a bunch of gfo in there to get them #s down now I leave it.

Feeding is reef frenzy , mysis shrimp, reef roids in a 5ml syringe 1 squirt

Correct 5 gal out and 5 in

And for the clean up crew ... not to much 5 turbo snails, 4-5 hermit crabs.

madjoe

Premium member
Your tank always looked good. Mines getting there really slow but on the right track lol. That hippie juice from you is just amazing

ultimatemj

So yes the cal reactor keeps my alk higher then I like but see no ill affects from this so I just leave it,

With having the eel my skimmer is dump out weekly full of black skimmate but he also keeps up the po4 and n03 so again I just left it alone, back in the day I use to dump a bunch of gfo in there to get them #s down now I leave it.

Feeding is reef frenzy , mysis shrimp, reef roids in a 5ml syringe 1 squirt

Correct 5 gal out and 5 in

And for the clean up crew ... not to much 5 turbo snails, 4-5 hermit crabs.
Lots of people struggle with Cal reactors, but there are clearly some working great! Like yours!

In general keeping Alk above 9 can be hard to do, as coral growth demands more and more Alk. Primary "danger" of a higher Alk is going ULNS and burning things...

I'd wager the higher Alk with the solid NO3 & PO4 numbers is a big part of the PE! Have you seen the awesome PE you are getting with different parameters???

And beyond "its appears to be working for you", what do you think the small frequent WCs *are* doing for you? Small nutrient exports? Other?

rockhead

Your tank always looked good. Mines getting there really slow but on the right track lol. That hippie juice from you is just amazing
That’s awesome news now that you got rid of the air fresheners , post a pic of it if you can some day

rockhead

Lots of people struggle with Cal reactors, but there are clearly some working great! Like yours!

In general keeping Alk above 9 can be hard to do, as coral growth demands more and more Alk. Primary "danger" of a higher Alk is going ULNS and burning things...

I'd wager the higher Alk with the solid NO3 & PO4 numbers is a big part of the PE! Have you seen the awesome PE you are getting with different parameters???

And beyond "its appears to be working for you", what do you think the small frequent WCs *are* doing for you? Small nutrient exports? Other?
I’m riding a fine line of failure and burning everything , I test alk 2-3 x a week just to keep an eye on things. a few months back I didn’t test for mag for some time and tank crashed hard everything was pal no color no PE I thought I was done, work the mag back up to where I like it and now thing are coming back around.

As far as water changes I think it’s muscle memory I have a routine and try my best to stick with it, I’m also using fritz salts and it seems to be doing well.
Here is that piece you were asking about with the PE

rockhead

I did something

Big thanks to @Hung, his pics not mine, it’s something I have to look forward too

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
I did something

Big thanks to @Hung, his pics not mine, it’s something I have to look forward too
Hung has a crazy sps collection! Very cool to go check them all out. Nice pieces, I got the Dragon King as well! I’m still thinking about there peaches and cream.

rockhead

Hung has a crazy sps collection! Very cool to go check them all out. Nice pieces, I got the Dragon King as well! I’m still thinking about there peaches and cream.
Way to tough to pick from his collection, so many pieces.

xj_matt

Premium member
I would love to go see Hung's set up but cant afford anything from him lol so dony wanna wast his time

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I would love to go see Hung's set up but cant afford anything from him lol so dony wanna wast his time
You’d be surprised. He has a lot of no name stuff that he acquires from high-end dealers. I usually tell him what I’ve got to spend and leave more than happy. Some named stuff that you know what you’re getting and some unnamed stuff that may or may not turn into gems. Plus, I usually spend WAY too much time (wife starts calling to see if I’m ok) just looking at all of his amazing stuff and talking shop. That alone is worth something.

xj_matt

Premium member
You’d be surprised. He has a lot of no name stuff that he acquires from high-end dealers. I usually tell him what I’ve got to spend and leave more than happy. Some named stuff that you know what you’re getting and some unnamed stuff that may or may not turn into gems. Plus, I usually spend WAY too much time (wife starts calling to see if I’m ok) just looking at all of his amazing stuff and talking shop. That alone is worth something.
I would just love to go look, maybe some time soon my tank is still cycling in away I do have one acro in it to see if it will live 1 week full pe and colored still. But need my new lights to get hear b4 I add anything eles

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rockhead

Well just pick up a new ati powermodule and took a couple pics with the leds on. Really liking how much light this thing puts out.