Sawdonkey’s 210 Build #2

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Added a super high-tech CO2 Scrubber. With the new baby, we’ve been home and basically just sitting in the basement breathing out CO2. PH was around 7.7. Between a few cooler days where I could open the windows and this scrubber, I’m up to 8.3 and basically staying there.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Added a super high-tech CO2 Scrubber. With the new baby, we’ve been home and basically just sitting in the basement breathing out CO2. PH was around 7.7. Between a few cooler days where I could open the windows and this scrubber, I’m up to 8.3 and basically staying there.

So fancy, my ph is good was still thinking of adding one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I’ve been having terrible problems with dinos to the point where they have suffocated some of my new acro frags. I’ve been blowing of the corals to try to keep them alive, but they were covered again within minutes.

A couple of days ago I ordered a 55W UV sterilizer on amazon for about $70. Hooked it up to my manifold last night and did a ten gallon water change to suck up some dinos on my sandbed. Then I blasted all of my rocks to get the dinos off. I woke up this morning to absolutely no dinos and my water looks like it isn’t even there.

Even if the UV sterilizer didn’t kill dinos, the water clarity alone is worth the $70.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I’ve been having terrible problems with dinos to the point where they have suffocated some of my new acro frags. I’ve been blowing of the corals to try to keep them alive, but they were covered again within minutes.

A couple of days ago I ordered a 55W UV sterilizer on amazon for about $70. Hooked it up to my manifold last night and did a ten gallon water change to suck up some dinos on my sandbed. Then I blasted all of my rocks to get the dinos off. I woke up this morning to absolutely no dinos and my water looks like it isn’t even there.

Even if the UV sterilizer didn’t kill dinos, the water clarity alone is worth the $70.
You have a link I'm having the same issue

Sawdonkey

Premium member
You have a link I'm having the same issue

This is my tank last week. I’d blow it off and it would be back in an hour.

This pic is in a five gallon bucket after vacuuming. You can see the dinos forming back up into strands.

Mjl714

Dinos are a wicked pia. Gooodluck with uv. If I understand correctly, they are likely to go into water column when lights are off exposing them to uv, ending their proliferation.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I been battling dino for months. It slowly killed ALL the acros I got from you 2 years ago that grew into big colonies. I tried a 23 watt UV but it didn't do anything so I took it off. Maybe I need a bigger one. Which one did you get?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I been battling dino for months. It slowly killed ALL the acros I got from you 2 years ago that grew into big colonies. I tried a 23 watt UV but it didn't do anything so I took it off. Maybe I need a bigger one. Which one did you get?
Yes, they have threatened to kill all of my 20-25 new frags. I’ve had to relentlessly blow the dinos off. I did a water change a few days ago and vacuumed the sand really well. Now, I’ve been doing about a ten gallon change every day and vacuuming the sand. Now with the UV....and it’s only been running for 24 hours.....there literally is no sign of dinos. I’ve also been microbubbling as I stir the sand and blow off the rocks. This suspends the dinos and allows them to go into the UV.

This is all theory, but seems like it’s working.

I have the Jeboa 55W UV.

beetlenut33

Premium member
Dinos are the absolute worst. Most of the frags I got from you in 2016 and 2017 have been killed off by the dino infestation I had. I battled it for a solid 9 months and never was able to figure out what was causing it. I almost shut the tank down because I was so sad every time I looked inside and saw everything dying. Eventually, the dinos faded away and now whatever pieces of coral I have left are bouncing back.

I might have a few of your old pieces if you want some frags back.

dfee

Premium member
Yes. Dino’s worst thing ever to encounter in reef tanks. Dealt with them forever. Fine now. Extremely frustrating how they get worse the harder you try. I eventually gave up except for manually stirring the sand and blowing of rocks. Somebody needs to create something to kill just them and make millions of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
Yes, they have threatened to kill all of my 20-25 new frags. I’ve had to relentlessly blow the dinos off. I did a water change a few days ago and vacuumed the sand really well. Now, I’ve been doing about a ten gallon change every day and vacuuming the sand. Now with the UV....and it’s only been running for 24 hours.....there literally is no sign of dinos. I’ve also been microbubbling as I stir the sand and blow off the rocks. This suspends the dinos and allows them to go into the UV.

This is all theory, but seems like it’s working.

I have the Jeboa 55W UV.
All I’ve read about fighting dinos seems to lead to people running dirtier to get rid of them. All my issues ended up being caused by a dm air freshener. Took it out of the room and week later tank was clear and stiill clear today. I can’t say i had dinos but it sure looked like it . Good luck man took me like 2 yrs to figure out my issue lol drove me nuts .

GugsJr

TeamCR
Yes. Dino’s worst thing ever to encounter in reef tanks. Dealt with them forever. Fine now. Extremely frustrating how they get worse the harder you try. I eventually gave up except for manually stirring the sand and blowing of rocks. Somebody needs to create something to kill just them and make millions of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have dinox, but its mixed reviews

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Yep, I’ve read that dinoX is basically worthless. This issue likely isn’t air fresheners as we don’t use them and only burn candles from time to time, mostly upstairs and not in the room with the tank.

I think I have the dinos best for the most part. I bought a 55W UV sterilizer and I’ve been doing about 10 gallon water changes every day sucking out dinos each time. Then I microbubble for a few hours to carry the dinos through the overflow to where the UV can get at them. The problem seems to be mostly gone now. Plus......my water is unbelievably clear from the UV! I was Jaebao was making UV five years ago.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Well, the uv has pretty much solved the dino problem BUT....leaving it on constantly made my temp jump to 82.6! I guess I have to run it more strategically since I can’t run it all the time.

ninjamyst

Premium member
dang it, UV not working for me. I been running my 23w for a week now and no improvement. I run mine in the display too and stir up the dino on the sand everyday. Maybe I need a better UV but if 55w works for your 210, 23w should work for my 90?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
dang it, UV not working for me. I been running my 23w for a week now and no improvement. I run mine in the display too and stir up the dino on the sand everyday. Maybe I need a better UV but if 55w works for your 210, 23w should work for my 90?
I’d think so. I’ve also been doing ten gallon water changes every other day or so. And vacuuming the sand each time.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Well, the uv has pretty much solved the dino problem BUT....leaving it on constantly made my temp jump to 82.6! I guess I have to run it more strategically since I can’t run it all the time.
My temp hasn't changed.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
My temp hasn't changed.

Well, I discovered that I had unplugged my canopy fans, so I compounded the problem. I have my heater temp set to 79 and I set my UV to turn off at 80.5 now. So with the fans running, shouldn’t be an issue.