SkullV's Aquarium Adventures

SkullV

Well, hard to compete with the photos [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] just posted, but not a bad view from the kitchen!

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Looks good Ted. Just stop moving every six months and those corals will be bumping into each other in no time.

SkullV

Looks good Ted. Just stop moving every six months and those corals will be bumping into each other in no time.
Haha thanks man! I'm finally eligible to get a law license out here in AZ so as soon as I acquire a full time attorney position again we'll be moving for hopefully the last time for along time! We already have a house picked and prequalified with room for an Indoor/outdoor fish room!

SkullV

Well, there's just about nothing I've been able to do (short of dosing it directly) to get detectable NO3 or PO4. I have been feeding 1/8tsp Coral Frenzy daily in addition to my normal fish food. Every time I feed frozen I also soak it in Selcon and dump the Selcon water into the tank with the food.

Either way, algae is almost completely gone and coral color has never been better! Even my DFS SSC is finally getting a little color to it! Onto the pics!

PC Rainbow from @porkchopexpress:

WCR French B:

ReefGen Ghost Orchid - I love this coral under my T5/LED Hybrid more yellow coming in all the time!

Original WTF Tierra Del Fuego:

Tyree Pink Lemonade:

WTF Mother of Pearl:

WCR Rainbow - Love that blue coming in!

No name Milli:

Tyree Blue Matrix - was totally brown when I got it, finally starting to color up!

No Name:

TCK Pikachu:

JPorter's GOW Acro:

ORA Joe the Coral:

SkullV

This tank keeps getting better and better every update , keep it up Ted
Thanks man! If I could just get my SSC to color up I'd be happy! It came brown from DFS and has encrusted but only a tiny bit of additional color. Admittedly things haven't been super stable for it so that probably doesn't help.

SkullV

love the closeups man...it's crazy you don't even need to use macro lenses...colors are spectacular too
Thanks! It's just the kit lens. I think I just got lucky with the depth of my tank and the height of the aquascape. All of these photos are taken from above the water surface with no viewing box.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Thanks! It's just the kit lens. I think I just got lucky with the depth of my tank and the height of the aquascape. All of these photos are taken from above the water surface with no viewing box.
No magnifying lenses or extension tubes to shorten the focal length? Is it something like a 30mm lense?

SkullV

No magnifying lenses or extension tubes to shorten the focal length? Is it something like a 30mm lense?
18-55 Cannon Kit lens on a Cannon EOS T3i. No other equipment. Photos are cropped in iPhoto and occasionally I'll play with brightness/exposure but that's the only processing that ever gets done.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
18-55 Cannon Kit lens on a Cannon EOS T3i. No other equipment. Photos are cropped in iPhoto and occasionally I'll play with brightness/exposure but that's the only processing that ever gets done.
Ah! Cropping in a larger photo makes sense. I only have a 14mm pancake lens and a 50-175mm. The pancake is too wide and the zoom has too long of a focal length. It's only good for macros with extension tubes of course. I need something in that 20-50 range.

SkullV

Ah! Cropping in a larger photo makes sense. I only have a 14mm pancake lens and a 50-175mm. The pancake is too wide and the zoom has too long of a focal length. It's only good for macros with extension tubes of course. I need something in that 20-50 range.
Yeah, I definitely take the biggest high res photo I can to start with and crop from there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For some reason certain corals ALWAYS come out blurry when I crop them. The Pikachu is one that comes to mind. If I ever decide to get a porthole or make one, I'll get a 100mm lens to play with, but for now this one does the trick.

Funlad3

Tip for the Canon while shooting stock:

Go to the live mode on the LCD, then use the magnifier button to get as zoomed as possible before using manual focus. This is what I can do with the stock lens and no editing whatsoever:

- Ben

SkullV

Tip for the Canon while shooting stock:

Go to the live mode on the LCD, then use the magnifier button to get as zoomed as possible before using manual focus. This is what I can do with the stock lens and no editing whatsoever:

- Ben
Great tip, although I can never get a clear photo when using the digital zoom (on any camera). It may have something to do with image stabilization, or maybe not!

Got a nice pic of the tiny tang today:

SkullV

Time for something new. NSW levels without the terrible batch to batch inconsistencies of Red Sea:

Also using their Coral E and Coral V. Will be adding their aminos when I run out of acropower too.

SkullV

Looks good..better price than Red Sea Pro..what's diference from the probiotic one?
Probiotic is like adding Microbacter 7 with every change. It's a great idea, but I store my mixed salt for up to a month so I can't use it. This also mixes at NSW levels so you won't get the absurdly inflated (and often incorrect) values that Red Sea advertises.