SkullV's Aquarium Adventures

SkullV

This post is continuously edited with information about my nano tanks. The rest of the thread will have details about the tanks.

SPS Tank Equipment
  • Peninsula Drilled 20g Long (30"x12"x12")
  • 10g Sump w/3 sections - Skimmer --> Fuge --> Return
  • DIY T5 Retrofit w/ATI Ballasts and TEK Reflector
  • ReefKeeper Lite Controller w/2x PC4, 1xSL1, 1x Float Switch
  • Aqualifter ATO Pump Running Off ReefKeeper
  • SCA-301 Protein Skimmer w/SkullV Mod
  • CPR Nano Tumbler w/NPX Bioplastics
  • Eheim 1250 Return Pump
  • Eheim Jager 100w Heater
  • 3x Jebao WP10 (Else-S1, Else-S1, W1-S1)
  • DIY CREE LED Light for Fuge (2xRed, 2xCWhite, 2xRBlue)
  • BRS Mesh Screen Top

Current SPS Tank FTS (9/12/14)

Anemone Tank Equipment
  • Custom AIO Modified Deep Blue Professional 7.5g Cube (12"x12"x12")
  • DIY Custom Spectrum Par 38 LED (8xRB, 2xCW, 2xUV)
  • Hydor SmartLevel ATO w/Aqualifter ATO Pump
  • 2xHydor Pico 300 Return Pumps
  • Eheim Jager 50w Heater
  • BRS Mesh Screen Top w/Polished Aluminum Frame
  • 0.75L K1 Media

Current SPS Tank FTS (8/10/14)

Last edited by a moderator:

SkullV

Added a bunch of new stuff over the past few days from Reef City and Aquapros. New corals have been added to the list in post #1 and also added a tailspot blenny from Aquapros.

While I was at Aquapros I also picked up 9 Astrea snails and 1 Banded Trochus snail to hopefully deal with this algae bloom that is going on with the CeramEco rock. I know I can just wait it out and it will go away, but I would much rather get it dealt with through CUC and then allow them to maintain the clean rock. If it doesn't die down by this Friday, I'm going to go lights out for the weekend.

SkullV

This Yasha Goby is driving me nuts. I found it in my sump a couple days ago, half dead, after not seeing it for 2 weeks. Put it in a breeder box and it was laying on its side, gills mostly flared open, barely breathing. Now it is able to prop itself upright most of the time but still on its side sometimes. Doesn't eat, mouth mostly gaping open other than when it is freaking out and trying to escape the breeder box. I feel like it may be time to "put it down" but how can I do that when it might get better? I'm thinking the best thing to do is to PIF to someone with a small tank and hope for the best.

In other news, I think I'm finally going to build my Sump "box" tonight or later this week. The plan is to fully enclose the sump with a hinged top and windows for the fuge and frag rack portions of the sump.

SkullV

Got some photos that I'm not too happy with but they are OK enough to share I think. Most if not all of them have a bit of post processing to REDUCE saturation/exposure and increase temp a bit to counteract the blue LEDs. They are pretty true to color at this point but I can't wait to get my new DSLR. If you see something with a name that looks TOTALLY wrong please let me know so I can either correct it or remove the name all together (What's in a name? A polyp by any other name would look as sweet...right Will?):

Ding Dang:

Radioactive Dragon Eyes:

Blue Agave:

Watermelon/Eagle Eye Morph:

SkullV

Cornbred Sunny D:

Bleached out RBTA from New Fish is starting to come around. It takes Rods and Hikari Jumbo Mysis really well. Big improvement in growth and color in the couple weeks I've had it. Starting to look like it is going to stay pinkish and not really deep red:

Stop looking at me swaaaan:

Also got a decent picture of my closed loop nozzle. I just drilled a small hole through the false wall and ran an elbow/nozzle down to a Hydor Pico Evolution 300 (300GPH):

SkullV

Thanks guys!

I wanted to experiment with carbon dosing on this tank but couldn't decide what source to use since the tank was so small. I really wanted to use biopellets but since such a small amount would be used I was worried about them actually contacting each other enough in a reactor to slough off the bacteria. Since that wouldn't work I decided to try the combination of Brightwell Biofuel and Microbacter7. I have used Microbacter7 before when I had biopellets running and it seemed to work pretty nicely and the Biofuel looks to just be a relatively "idiot proof" diluted carbon source. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

CoralPharmD

Making me wish I didn't get rid of my spec v so soon! Great looking tank! And Damn there are a lot of znps in there!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

SkullV

Making me wish I didn't get rid of my spec v so soon! Great looking tank! And Damn there are a lot of znps in there!
Thanks! I can't wait for them to all start growing out!

I'm shocked to find you carbon dosing vs hard core WC...lol!!! But tank is looking great!! Tagging along
Thanks! I want to try the carbon dosing because the tank is small enough to try new things and do a 100% water change almost instantly if things look bad. The idea is more to be able to automate it all eventually and not have to touch the tank. I had a REALLY good experience with BioPellets in the 75g, I really wish I could just do that again.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Thanks! I want to try the carbon dosing because the tank is small enough to try new things and do a 100% water change almost instantly if things look bad. The idea is more to be able to automate it all eventually and not have to touch the tank. I had a REALLY good experience with BioPellets in the 75g, I really wish I could just do that again.
My small system now is so automated that it's boring for me...lol!!! But I'm waiting to get a bigger tank once things here are steady

SkullV

My small system now is so automated that it's boring for me...lol!!! But I'm waiting to get a bigger tank once things here are steady
I'm actually feeling the market in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Gilbert/Tempe right now for work and a house. Second I get there my 8'+ build starts.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
I'm actually feeling the market in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Gilbert/Tempe right now for work and a house. Second I get there my 8'+ build starts.
The house market is great here!! But stay away from Tempe as some parts are bad but not Chicago South side bad..lol!!! Same with PHX in certain areas.. Laveen is a newer development but Damn section 8 sucks with these investors renting.

But a big tank will be sweet!!!!

SkullV

The house market is great here!! But stay away from Tempe as some parts are bad but not Chicago South side bad..lol!!! Same with PHX in certain areas.. Laveen is a newer development but Damn section 8 sucks with these investors renting.

But a big tank will be sweet!!!!
Yeah have a friend in Higley/Gilbert that I would probably be moving in with. She has a pretty sweet 3br/3ba townhouse out there. Would be getting some real LAND shortly after though.