Spartanman22's 80 DB

Spartanman22

Does anyone have any experience with AIO Biopellets? Should I start running them once I start the cycle or wait until I have a fish load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
They say to start the system on the biopellets to get the culture of bacteria established in the reactor. I have the Reef Dynamics BPR and have done alot of research into it.

Spartanman22

Ok cool thanks for the help. I'm going to run the pellets in my RX-U reactor. I've also had a marinpure block in the sump of my current system to seed the new tank

Spartanman22

I spent this afternoon playing around with the rock work. The plan was a minimalistic design with lots of open sand bed and some overhangs. It's hard to capture the setup, but regardless here's some crummy iPhone pics.

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I will message you tomorrow or if you wanna PM me your number and I will text you tomorrow with some ideas and pics of what I have been doing with mine.

Spartanman22

My wife really knows her way to my heart. This Valentine's Day she is picking me up a new fish. Should be coming home today with a nice new addition

Very well thought out. My DB 80 is similar, Vertex Alpha 170, Ecotech L1, but I went with LEDs. I wish mine looked as clean and well thought out as yours.

Spartanman22

I was considering the Vertex Alpha but was unsure of how the newer ones would perform. They seem to have mixed reviews without the red dragon pump. How's yours doing?

Spartanman22

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a BK when originally acquiring equipment but found a good deal on the Vertex. I'll likely upgrade to a BK in a years time.

Spartanman22

I went home to my Mom's with the intentions of getting the plumbing done, but skiing all day yesterday left me with little energy! So instead I just installed the HDPE bottom.

I like this a lot better than the white plywood I originally planned. When the previous bottom would get rubbed or scratched it was very obvious due to the white paint. This should be much cleaner.

Rcunning8

Premium member
I love the organization of this tank and the color coordination just makes the guts of the tank look so cool! I noticed you don't have a refugium chamber, are you planning on growing any macro or just relying on your awesome skimmer/reactor to take care of those issues for you?

ultimatemj

Very nice!
Where does your bio-media go?
Are you planning on relying on pellets???
Looks like you could probably fit one of those marine pure blocks standing on edge...

Spartanman22

I love the organization of this tank and the color coordination just makes the guts of the tank look so cool! I noticed you don't have a refugium chamber, are you planning on growing any macro or just relying on your awesome skimmer/reactor to take care of those issues for you?
I have always ran refugiums in the past, but those have all been mixed reefs before. This tank will be 100% SPS and I will likely flirt with a ULNS system and dabble with zeovit. I wanted it to be a clean and simple as possible. My fuge on my current setup is great but it collects a lot of detritus and it's not all that easy to clean out. I wanted to be able to keep the sump nice and clean and free of detritus so I opted out of the Refugium.

Spartanman22

Very nice!
Where does your bio-media go?
Are you planning on relying on pellets???
Looks like you could probably fit one of those marine pure blocks standing on edge...

I plan to run Biopellets in one of the Vertex RX-U's. This will be my first experience with pellets so I'm a bit nervous, but I've done other carbon dosing methods before. The underlying concept is the same its just accomplished a bit differently.

I currently have a marinpure block in my sump that I've been seeding. When I move I want to be able to move the new tank into the apartment, fill it up, and transfer my livestock. So I've got my new rock curing in my office and the marinpure block going in my sump currently to try and ensure I'll have plenty of biological filtration for the transfer.

I haven't decided yet if I want to keep the block long term. We'll see if I end up needing it. I tend to overstock so I probably will.

Spartanman22

I've been putting a lot of thought into fish for the new tank and this is where I'm at currently:

Swallowtail Angel (female) - have
Potters Angel - have
Golden Angel - have
Black leopard wrasse - have
Flame wrasse pair
Mystery Wrasse
Chaoti Leopard Wrasse
Multicolor Angel
Juvi Regal or Juvi Goldflake

I would like to have the show piece fish be either a regal or Goldflake and understand both will outgrow my system eventually. My favorite two groups of fish are centropyges and wrasses so that's what the focus will be.