Xmoji 57 Gallon Reef Tank

Reef geeks in northbook runs them and his softys look amazing. What return pump are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Yeah I have been there. He doesn't think they will do so well over sps. I have to somewhat agree as some sps on the sides of my tank don't color up as well as the ones towards the center.

I have a Sicce Sincra 3.0.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Wow, I can't believe I haven' posted on this thread in almost a year! I wanted to try and revive this boring thread with something I have been messing around with. I got a dslr camera a while back and took a class to learn how to use it. I am no where near where some people on this thread are with their photos but I took some neat ones and hope you guys like them.

My tank hasn't really changed much since the initial setup but I do have some amazing growth and I'm hoping to add some growth shots in the next few days/weeks.

View attachment 23777
View attachment 23778
View attachment 23779
View attachment 23780

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Hey everyone, so I wanted to change my rock work to try and accommodate more sps.. Well that backfired. I ended up having too much rock and really restricted my flow in the tank. As a result I started getting a lot of diatoms in the sand. :suspense:

Diatoms is something I truly believe is always in the tank. The only thing that matters is how or what I do to control it. Restricting flow really allowed them to flourish. :hate-you:

I have since removed rock and went back to a very similar setup that I started with. As a result the diatoms are still there and really am having some trouble really controlling and getting rid of.

Anyway the corals are still doing pretty well. So much so that I am actually starting to sell to one of my local (favorite) LFS. I ended up purchasing some really sweet sps from CMAS a couple weeks ago so I need to try and recoup some of those costs. :help1:

The day after CMAS my AP700 decided to stop working. Literally all off and not powering on!!,:violin: I called Kessil and told them my trouble. We did some troubleshooting and cleaned the whole light (not that dirty to begin with). Estilo after cleaning it didn’t turn on. I have had a Kessil AP700 for slightly over two year. My original fixture died on me two months after purchase. Kessil replaced it with another and it worked for a long time. That lights warranty ended a couple months ago (2 yr warranty) so Kessil wouldn’t replace with a new fixture. Instead they gave me one they use for their conventions and shows. I don’t know how I really feel about that just yet, I’m hoping this light just lasts.

Well that’s enough for now. Here’s an update FTS. :rock:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Good morning! Things are getting back to normal and the tank is looking really healthy. Happy Saturday everyone and go Cubs!

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Has anyone ever dunked their phone in their tank to tank pics? I haven’t but tempted to. Lol. Anyway he are some above the water shots.

Miyagi Tort & WWC Yellow Tip -
Miyagi is a super healthy and forgiving coral. I have had it for years and is one of my first sps. The yellow tip doesn’t like as much light so colors aren’t all there but still a pretty coral.

Oregon Tort & Green Slimmer -
A couple of OG’s. Nuff said!

Last edited:

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
WWC OG Bounce -
This is a newer coral. I’ve had for about 3 months. I’m not much into shrooms but those bubbles....

Milli -
This piece was a cheap pick up and it really is a looker. My novice iPhone photography skills don’t do justice. I love how hairy it is. Also a very slow grower.

Pink Lemonade, WWC Yellow Tip, unknown zoa, Unknown Acro -

If anyone is looking for a great growing easy sps that has a lot of pop, then you might wanna check out a pink lemonade. Yellow Tip doesn’t like as much light. The tips aren’t as yellow and its growing away from the light. I might cut and relocate. One of my favorite zoas and idk what it’s called. Same goes for that green sps, I know where I got it from but no clue if it has a name. Part of the fun when going to a LFS and you buy a coral that doesn’t have a fancy name and it turns into something really interesting.

Deezill

Premium member
You Know what the heck. I am going to treat myself to some frags. I feel like I need some colorful Zoas. I am coming too. hahaha. I am a sucker for s discount.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
What’s up everyone, I hope you had a great holiday! The 57 is doing well. Here are some updates I have for you guys.

I started growing some type of sponge. Well that required me to pull whole pieces of rock from the tank and scrub them off. The whole thing took about an hour but I got rid of it.

The reason it took so long was because I literally had to pull out whole rocks with colonies growing on them. You can imagine how nervous I was. Luckily I was mostly successful other than a couple of broken tips of sps.

Corals are doing really well and the colors are amazing! Enjoy the pics below!!

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
I have the same exact tank and have found a few threads of people removing it. Just ordered the guitar wire and razor blades from Amazon. Nice setup btw. Looks great.
[MENTION=2933]woowoodengy[/MENTION] did you end up removing your overflow? With a growing tank I wish it was something I did. If you did let us know how it turned out.

Last edited:

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Not sure what you mean by runners but it ran across the surface of my rock. Almost looked matted.