Xmoji 57 Gallon Reef Tank

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Hey Xmoji,

With no skimmer what is your water change schedule?

I just bought a 75 RR. So I'll be looking for advice down the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hi [MENTION=3334]novanosis[/MENTION], I change 5 gallons weekly. I do stick to the schedule pretty strictly. When I do miss a week or two I end up noticing more diatoms and algae on the sandbed. I’m a big believer in biological filtration. Have a lot of chaeto and live rock. Live rock both in the tank and in the sump. I also use Marine pure bio media spheres and plates.

Last edited:

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Wow, those corals look great! Interesting to see a no skimmer approach working so well.
Thank you! To be honest I only have 4 fish so not that large of a bioload. I am constantly adding clean up crew to the tank to help with keeping things clean and clear of debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Torches are one of my favorite corals. I’m attracted to their movement in the tank. They are one of the most active corals and one of the most enjoyable to watch in the tank. They can do well in almost any conditions, low/medium light and anywhere from low/moderate flow. Not to mention they come in all colors from green to purple to gold. I even earn there are red ones that haven’t hit the market yet. They can also come in many different color combinations like purple with green tips or purple with white tips. I love torches!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

98silverado

Torches are one of my favorite corals. I’m attracted to their movement in the tank. They are one of the most active corals and one of the most enjoyable to watch in the tank. They can do well in almost any conditions, low/medium light and anywhere from low/moderate flow. Not to mention they come in all colors from green to purple to gold. I even earn there are red ones that haven’t hit the market yet. They can also come in many different color combinations like purple with green tips or purple with white tips. I love torches!

Love torches as well. Been trying to find a nice one that I is worth my money but haven't been able to yet, or someone beats me to it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Love torches as well. Been trying to find a nice one that I is worth my money but haven't been able to yet, or someone beats me to it

What colors are you looking for?

Last edited:

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Something like that front right one you have. I'm just not a fan of the "black" torches, or the ones that have dark colors with boring white tips.

Really, I think those are awesome especially when you have moonlights on and all you see are the white tips moving around.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Hi all, so took the trip to visit Justin @ Reef Nation today. Super nice person, very welcoming and was so easy to talk to. He has the most impressive sps collection I have seen in person, period. Other than all the automation he has implemented into his tank, his setup is actually pretty simple but effective. Oh did I mention his sps are awesome? I ended up leaving with 3 frags I purchased plus a sweet freebie. The AV99 Orange Crush is the brightest acro he has. As soon as I looked at his tank my eyes were drawn to that piece. My favorite piece is an unreleased acro that he imported from Indonesia right before the ban was put into effect! So only he and myself have this coral, I LOVE IT!! Here’s what I got today:

WWC Golden Table Acro

IC Raspberry Limeade

AV99 Orange Crush

ReefNation Crack Shack - Justin and I are the only two that have this coral!

Spartanman22

Very nice! I’ll have to get ahold of him I’d like to round out the tank with 1-2 select pieces. I’ve heard good things about his collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
nice! what's the price range on one of those frags? Dont need exact amount, just a range to see if I can even afford that stuff =P.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
nice! what's the price range on one of those frags? Dont need exact amount, just a range to see if I can even afford that stuff =P.

They really vary it all depends on what you’re looking for. I will say he is reasonable on the higher end pieces and like I said he threw in a freebie.

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Hey reefers, Sunday maintenance day went well. I had my second round of changing out rock from my tank. As some of you know I have been redoing rock work and removing some coral as I want to go with more higher end sps.

About a month ago I pulled out one large piece of rock on the left side of my tank. That piece housed a second colony of green slimmer, third colony of Oregon Tort, blue Tort, peach monti and a few other corals.

I made the change over to Caribsea Life Rock. I’m a big fan of the man made rock made to looks matured. When I originally setup the 57 Gallon I went with Walt Smith 2.0. The reason why I like Caribsea better is because it has more pores and spaces to stick frags into.

After about a month of waiting for the new rock to grow some good bacteria, today I pulled out another large piece of Walt Smith rock that housed my mystic monti and some misc zoas. The mystic monti is gone but I kept the zoas. I replaced that rock with one larger Caribsea rock.

The rock work isn’t drastically different as far as the setup goes but I am making sure I have more surface area for my future sps. Here’s a current picture of the tank after the change.