Xzotic Aquatic World Visit - Review

Kevy792

Well i dont really do this but i feel that ive been in the hobby and the business long enough to know how a LFS should treat customers and what they expect. I made a thread yesterday about how my daughters birthday is coming up and she was looking for a certain crab to put in her nano. I was pointed in the direction of Xzotics because the member who responded said they had them last time he was in. So i made the drive and sure enough they had em.

First impression - Its a warehouse type wholesale looking store. It doesnt bother me because ive been to a bunch of these types of places picking out fish for the stores ive worked at so i dont need all the nice bells and whistles of a retail store. Some people might be bothered by all the mess and the wet floors and the fact that there is no ryme or reason for placement of items. Me on the other hand its my type of place. If i want to go into an expensive store that looks like i can eat off the floor ill head to Old Town and pay rediculous prices.

I looked around for a good 45 mins and really only came for one thing, but like everyone else you never leave with only one but i only had a certain amount of cash in my pocket so i told myself "ok just the crab and a fish you want, ill be back with my credit card for more." The store is stocked with fish. Nothing special really your basic fish everyone has when they start out your first aquarium. Stores like this usually only have that type of fish, but if your in the need of the "typical" this is the place to go. Coral selection is "so so" once again nothing to make a call to your friend and brag about. All in all what i expected from a warehouse type shop.

Now for my horrible customer service experience - When i was ready to leave i grabbed the skinny tall drummer looking guy who by the way was really nice and helpful and not pushy on things i dont need. Thats always a plus i dont want to go to a store and be followed around by the used car salesmen type. So if I ever do head back to this store it would be because of him. I pointed out the crab i wanted and asked "hey how much for him" because of course there was no tag or sticker. So he said he will double check with the manager and come back. He gave me the price i said alright bag him up and showed him the fish i wanted also. The fish actually had the tag so no questions there. I got to the front desk where he placed my bag on a hook and began to tell the girl sitting down what he got me and the prices for each. Now the girl wrote down everything he said on a service ticket but then takes out this huge book and double checks the prices because i guess her employees word isnt good enough. As im sitting there waiting while she flips pages and asks him what exactly things are im noticing how much she really doesnt know and is only there because shes the owners daugher. After a few minutes sure enough she looks at me and gives me a total that is 75% above what my drummer guy and the manager told me it would be. I look at her and say thats not the price i was given. So she gets on the phone and says im gonna double check with the owner...."hey dad what is the price of this crab, this guy was told this amount but the book shows this amount"... she hangs up and says "ya the owner says im right it should be this higher amount." I tell her i understand what the book says but he double checked the price and told me a certain amount and thats the price i should be given. She then does the un-nessasary and tells me "i dont know why your making such a big deal about this, we are a business that needs to make money and if i give this to you at the price they told you i would be making our wholesale price"... i didnt feel like telling her how wrong she is because little does she know whatever list she has ive seen and know how much **** really is so i simply said. Its sad that your going to sit here and lose a customer over 10 dollars and give me attitude after your in the wrong. Ill take the fish and you can put the crab back. In all honesty its not about the money and would have paid more if it was labeled correctly but having to stand there while she calls daddy and then tells me how im wrong for asking the price i was given was rediculous. She has no knowledge or reason to be there other then that shes daddys little girl.

I called two of my buddies to laugh about what happened and to my astonishment he was silent and said "bro the same thing happened to me, but it was over a smaller price" so i had to come on here and share and say Xzotic with the money you lost from me today you could have easily bought some paper for your label maker so this doesnt happen. Both myself and my wife who is a General Manager at an entertainment chain that is country wide know if one of your employes screws up you bite a bullet and say "sorry for the misunderstanding, since my employee quoted you this price i will give it to you, but know that next time it actually costs this much, I will make sure i speak to the employee so he knows what the price should be".... thats how it should have been handled.

gig

man that's so wrong. I was one at John's store a couple months ago and he quoted me nearly half price for a Xmas wrasse, bagged it, then checked the price and found out he gave me the wrong price. He said, no worries, it's the price I quoted. I felt bad, told him he can just put it back, it was no big deal and he said, no, it's yours. That's the way you do things.

Kevy792

man that's so wrong. I was one at John's store a couple months ago and he quoted me nearly half price for a Xmas wrasse, bagged it, then checked the price and found out he gave me the wrong price. He said, no worries, it's the price I quoted. I felt bad, told him he can just put it back, it was no big deal and he said, no, it's yours. That's the way you do things.
And thats how things in a good customer service experience should be

madjoe

Premium member
lol it actually was a whole sale place at one time called global aquatics. the guy who hleped u had to be the old owners son really nice guy . but u right about customer service and prices some things r very unorganized there . i still go there actually just picked up a moorish idol never had bad service but ive been going there for years and every one knows me so im guessing that helps. but u should of been sold it at the price originaly told thats how it works at any kind of store . sucks u had bad experiance u not only one though some people love it some hate it lol

DD

"Rambo"
Thanks this is good to know.

I give shops three strikes though. Sometimes you get the wrong person on the wrong day, or you get something that you really didn't need.

Either way I always like to hear folks' experience with places. It allows readers to be aware at what could potentially happen.

Sorry this had to happen to you. I haven't been to xzotic yet and have it on my list of places to visit so I will definitely be on guard while there.

MrDemonicAngel

oh man...sorry to hear you had that experience...I was actually just there today...same deal...buy bags it, hooks it, tells girl....except in my situation, the girl didnt open any book.......and thats my experience every time I go...she never opens any book....

I'm not sure if the owner is that big hispanic fellow but he is the rudest there...all the other guys are very helpful...

+1 on bad service of this place in my book and of others. I know it's might be different if your all buddy buddy with the owner/employees but there are others out there that come and shop in these stores and probably purchase more than to just talk. I've been to this place a few times and much like others a friendly hello and an acknowledgment that you are there to be supportive of their business is much appreciated. I've walked around that place being one of a couple people and never once was acknowledg. The no price on things is extremely annoying and I don't want to have to ask someone all the time how much things are if I'm going to be buying multiple things in some cases many things. I don't need to feel like I should feel privileged to come into your store you should feel privileged that us customers chose your store to support you.

They should have owned up to the mistake and honored your purchase. Not make a gripe out of it and corrected the mistake on their own in private and figure out what they could have done differently the next time. This is the kind of things that make me rather deal with purchasing from online stores.

Kevy792

Was it the tall red-head guy with the nice legs or was it the younger cutie with the bobbish cut with flipped ends?

Sorry "skinny tall drummer looking guy" is all I got lol, but he wasnt the problem, he was actually the only one there that seemed to have a clue. I will say he was tall so hes probably was the one with the nice legs your referring to

Kevy792

+1 on bad service of this place in my book and of others. I know it's might be different if your all buddy buddy with the owner/employees but there are others out there that come and shop in these stores and probably purchase more than to just talk. I've been to this place a few times and much like others a friendly hello and an acknowledgment that you are there to be supportive of their business is much appreciated. I've walked around that place being one of a couple people and never once was acknowledg. The no price on things is extremely annoying and I don't want to have to ask someone all the time how much things are if I'm going to be buying multiple things in some cases many things. I don't need to feel like I should feel privileged to come into your store you should feel privileged that us customers chose your store to support you.

They should have owned up to the mistake and honored your purchase. Not make a gripe out of it and corrected the mistake on their own in private and figure out what they could have done differently the next time. This is the kind of things that make me rather deal with purchasing from online stores.
Ya after posting this it seems like a lot of people are dealing with the same type of review i gave it... just poor customer service... oh well i was in the area so i gave it a try, Sadly my friend just got into the hobby and was looking for a place to stock up starter fish and corals... 10 dollar mistake on their part is going to end up costing them alot more.

Sorry "skinny tall drummer looking guy" is all I got lol, but he wasnt the problem, he was actually the only one there that seemed to have a clue. I will say he was tall so hes probably was the one with the nice legs your referring to
He's one of the nicest guys there. Both of the guys look like the play in a band and both are really cool. The daughter who mans the desk is usually really good with me and Daisy but we've been going there for a while. I think it was bad form for them to overide the given price with one that was in the books and not communicated well with the staff. Hopefully they will read this and address it. They are a sponsor on here so shoot them a PM to take a look at this thread.

Personally, I would never buy a fish from there....but we've all seen my review on them in here.

taylor t

Ill take the fish and you can put the crab back. .
That's too bad. The better way to handle it would have been to let them keep the fish too. If I ever get bored with life enough to ever step foot in that place, which I won't, I would have them bag a dozen fish, have them bring them up front for me, then tell them they can keep them all!!!

madjoe

Premium member
He's one of the nicest guys there. Both of the guys look like the play in a band and both are really cool. The daughter who mans the desk is usually really good with me and Daisy but we've been going there for a while. I think it was bad form for them to overide the given price with one that was in the books and not communicated well with the staff. Hopefully they will read this and address it. They are a sponsor on here so shoot them a PM to take a look at this thread.

Personally, I would never buy a fish from there....but we've all seen my review on them in here.
Really didnt know they were sponsers

Kevy792

That's too bad. The better way to handle it would have been to let them keep the fish too. If I ever get bored with life enough to ever step foot in that place, which I won't, I would have them bag a dozen fish, have them bring them up front for me, then tell them they can keep them all!!!
You know i was going to and this is exactly what my wife said i should have done was tell them to keep the fish also and just walk out, but it was a maintenance fish that i needed and had to pick my daughter up at school and didnt have time to go to a different shop, cuz trust me i would have.

Herbie

Banned
I think I'd have asked for the salesman, the person he asked for the price, the owner and the desk girl to have a little impromptu meeting right there in the front of the store. If they won't honor the price I at least want to hear them come to a resolution on how that won't happen again in front of me. It's soooo much fun to tear up managers in front of their underlings. Xzotic is a little far from me to care, but the one time I was there it was a bit odd in general with some snail misinformation (rectified by theire little snail whisperer guy). Hopefully they get it on track and become yet another great sponsor (which they are not currently).