12 gallon JBJ Nanocube LED upgrade

misenplace101

Well here it goes.... Just picked up the LEDs, drivers and heatsink from reefleds.com. Bill is awesome he took the time to set me up and showed all the options. Now taking the hood apart and see which heat sink fits better. Hope I'm able to finish today.... Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misenplace101

Seriously... Don't know the exact cost cause picked up other stuff like TM biocalcium, salt, rocks and other misc. I trust bill and don't bicker on $$$.

Thank you chicagoreefer.

misenplace101

8" heatsink or 12" heatsink.
I'm thinking 8" this will leave me room for the drivers.

Only pics for now? Hope it works

misenplace101

thanks smitty....
reefer.. what leds are you running? I hope to get it done tonight. Im going back to reefleds tonight and fintune the leds... I'm shooting for a 20k look. that will be 12 blues and 6 whites = 18 total. I may up it to 24 depending on how it looks then again it may be an over kill.

kurens

good luck and keep us posted.i ordered yesterday 48 cree leds,dimmable drivers,pwm daylight controller and two 25x7.25 heatsinks.

The reefer

Wow that's alot for a 12 g. I have 13 8 blue and 5 white. I might take them off and get new LEDs and place them in a different order also i would like to get another driver to separately whites and blues. I think that's more than enough but i would like to get sum par reading from my LEDs first

misenplace101

kurens.... did you order it from reefleds? What size tank are you putting it on?

This is my test run before I jump into it with my 120 build this summer.

kurens

ordered from rapidled.com and heatsinkusa.com...tank is 60x18x20 and back canopy is open and got opening for feeding on top of it but still thinking of mounting 2 fans somewhere:)
sorry to posted in nano thread!

misenplace101

Okay... I increased to 24 LEDs. 9 whites and 15 blues on two dim-able mean well elm-30-48d (great drivers) I know it's an over kill but I just couldn't help myself.

I went with the bigger (12") heat sink fits nicely inside the hood with the splash shield. ( splash shield is not as tight as it was before but stills protects the LEDs).

My plan now is to get 2-4 micro fans to blow across using the existing vents. This way I won't have to cut the hood and figuring out how to cover it.

The reefer

If u find out how to do it without cutting the hood let me know cuz i have an extra hood I can redo my lefs on

misenplace101

Here's how it looks.

Sorry for the crappy pic
It look so much nicer than the original pc.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks everyone.

misenplace101

Reefer... I have enough room on the side to put the micro fans and Bill suggested the bigger heatsink and I'm glad I did. I just took off the cover and it's warm but now burning hot. I may be able to get away with 2 fans.

This setup was Bills idea and he did a great job explaining and showed me how to install everything.

misenplace101

Reefer, with the adjustable drivers I can fine tune the color that suits me and will be running it off an apex and I can set it to a dusk to dawn mode.