60G Cube Dream Tank!

jcarlilesiu

Question... So I simulated a power outage today (finally have some time) and well my sump would certainly overflow because of the back flow... So my question is..

For a siphon break, do I simply go into the overflow box, find the return, and drill a 3\16" hole into the PVC. From what I understand, when the water drains and gets to that point, it will break the siphon and water should stop flowing into the sump?
yes drill the hole slightly under the normal operating water level. The reason being is that you don't want to hear water shooting out that hole all of the time.

Then when the power goes out, the water will drop slightly until it hits that hole and breaks the siphon stopping the backflow.

jcarlilesiu

yes drill the hole slightly under the normal operating water level. The reason being is that you don't want to hear water shooting out that hole all of the time.

Then when the power goes out, the water will drop slightly until it hits that hole and breaks the siphon stopping the backflow.
Whoops.

Didn't see this was already resolved.

xtlosx

The Acans are Acan Lords (Acanthastrea lordhowensis). That clownfish is also not a Percula clown. It looks like a saddleback (Amphiprion polymnus) or even a Latz (Amphiprion latezonatus) which is WAY rarer but also likes slightly cooler temps.
Yea, they sell him as a true perc, and we liked him because of the colors.. We also have a regular orange perc (also sold as a true perc), which has yet to host the RBTA he swims right by all day.... From what I read, the saddleback is supposed to be aggressive to other clowns but him and his orange buddy are the best of friends showing no aggressions whatsoever.

So far so good with the entire tank.. Once I figure out how to take better pictures, I will take more as these shitty pictures do NOT do the tank justice.

xtlosx

Alright, so just took some pictures, and hoping that they turn out better and start to do my tank justice.

Our Perc

Bam Bam Zoas

Eagle Eye Zoas

Frogspawn

Our Pink Pincusion Urchin, Urlacher

Acan Lord

Candy Cane Coral

RBTA, I'd say he looks pretty healthy, thoughts?

Torch (one of my favorites)

xtlosx

That is my dream tank too. Someday I will make my dream come true. Nice job.
Yea, I absolutely love this cube design. It sits in our kitchen, is nice and large (60G), and doesn't take up a big footprint, it's perfect!!

Good luck on your adventure, and let me know if there is anything I can help with, I would be more than happy to offer my experiences.

xtlosx

The RBTA looks very healthy. Tightly closed mouth is always a good sign. Those are not Eagle Eye zoas though. Eagle eyes have a green skirt, with red insides and a blue eye. :)
Awesome, this tank isn't even a week old, and the RBTA went through heck with the shitty tank it was in before (The tank was good in the beginning, and got progressively worse until it crashed. This is why everyone is in here so quickly) I am very very happy to see him being alive and healthy as it's my favorite invert and would be quite dissapointed if I lost him. Now if only I could get my Special Ed clown to host the RBTA, I'd be a happy man.

I was told they were eagle eyes, but got them for free, so they have all opened up and looking good so far.. I can't complain, the price was right... Also got the bam bams for free too, they are like hot orange in color, but the camera couldn't catch that. They look awesome!

xtlosx

Both are tank raised, so he might not be so sped after all :) Either way if he hosts or doesn't, I still absolutely love my RBTA and has a great appreciation for the creature. It's so beautiful to look at, and I love feeding him.

There's an algae blenny in the tank too, but he scoots around and is tough to get pictures of. He is one hell of a character, every so often he'll perch himself on a power head and just stare at us. He is so not afraid of us in the least.

xtlosx

Thanks! Will be better tomorrow when I double my LED output with another fixture, and get some new live stock!! Will be a big day tomorrow.