Alex's first saltwater - Nuvo 16 Build

Ad900

Hey everyone!

Happy to say that I finally got my first saltwater aquarium, a nuvo 16 (thank you Keith :))

Just got the tank all going today and so far everything looks great.

I have tons of questions and will probably have tons more and I am open to any advice you have for me :)

Hopefully this tank will blossom into a beautiful reef without too many disasters lol.

Pics will be coming soon ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keith954

Good luck with it, take pics and compare them every month or so and you'll be surprised how much the tank changes.

Ad900

And I saw this little guy today... Bristle worm?? Pink in the center of the rock

SkullV

Nice start! That looks thin like a bristle worm and not fat and ugly like a fire worm. Zoa 1 and Zoa 2 are indeed zoas if you were asking and below them is Green Star Polyps. If you are ever in the city I can give you a couple Green Implosion Palys for free to get some more color in the tank. Just be careful with that Xenia, it grows FAST and can take over whole rocks pretty quickly.

Ad900

If I'm not mistaken, Bristle worms are alright to keep in a tank?

SkullV

Any idea what type of zoas they are?
I'm a super firm believer in not assigning names to corals if they didn't have one when I got them but they look like they have some coloring up to do before you could really figure it out.

If I'm not mistaken, Bristle worms are alright to keep in a tank?
Yep absolutely. They are great detritivores and sand stirrers.

Ad900

If you are ever in the city I can give you a couple Green Implosion Palys for free to get some more color in the tank..
I rarely go into the city, but thank you very much for the offer :)

Ad900

So, for daily top offs, are there any disadvantages in using distilled water?

Ad900

CUC questions:

1. When should I add the CUC?

2. Hermit crabs or no??

3. Anyone have any experience w/ reefcleaners.org?

Ad900

Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not to use hermit crabs?

Mackch

Nice looking tank, like people said becareful with that Xenia I swear mine splits almost daily. enjoy hope all goes great!

SkullV

Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not to use hermit crabs?

I have used them but prefer CUC without them. They can eat coral on occasion (they don't all do it) and rarely do anything that a good snail based CUC can't do. They also kill snails for their shells.

Ad900

I have used them but prefer CUC without them. They can eat coral on occasion (they don't all do it) and rarely do anything that a good snail based CUC can't do. They also kill snails for their shells.
Alright so I'm going to stay away from hermits... Would I have any problems having a pistol shrimp in there w/ a cleaner shrimp?