Alex's first saltwater - Nuvo 16 Build

Ad900

Here's a close up of the emerald crab. He lost one of his big claws, but I'm pretty sure they grow back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad900

After reading some articles online about aquascaping, I've decided that my rock work definitely needs some work.

Anybody have any aquascaping tips/tricks?

I think my rock needs to go up towards the surface a few inches. And not be so continuous. I was thinking of doing something like this...

I also like this design...

This is going to be a little difficult with the nuvo 16's long and thin dimensions.

Ad900

Here's the NEW aquascape. Still kind of like a wall, but it's difficult to do anything but a wall in the nuvos dimensions. I'm probably going to break up the square shaped rock with the opening, I don't really like the look of it.

Ad900

I changed the aquascape... Again. I think I finally found a keeper though :) I'll post some pics of the new scape tomorrow.

even though it's not for a week or so, let's talk fish!!!

My ideas so far for fish stocking

1 - occ. clown
1 - royal gramma
1 - shrimp goby w/ pistol shrimp (is this worth it??? I don't want to use up my bioload if I'm not even gonna see the dang things.
1 - other fish. Deciding between a tail spot blenny and a cherub angel.

Currently leaning towards the cherub angel. Anybody have any experience with these? How horrible are they on corals?

Ad900

Come on !! Someone gimme some feedback on fish :)

In the meantime, this is my NEW and IMPROVED aquascape :)

CoralN00b

I know a few guys that have cherubs in a reef. They say they have to be kept with caution in a reef online, but if you feed it well, it should be ok. It may outgrow a 16 Gal eventually though.

I personally love firefish gobies and blennies. You can get a helrichi firefish if you want a prize fish in there. I am thinking of adding one to my tank too but I already have a firefish in there so it worries me a bit.

I like the new scape.

Ad900

I know a few guys that have cherubs in a reef. They say they have to be kept with caution in a reef online, but if you feed it well, it should be ok. It may outgrow a 16 Gal eventually though.

I personally love firefish gobies and blennies. You can get a helrichi firefish if you want a prize fish in there. I am thinking of adding one to my tank too but I already have a firefish in there so it worries me a bit.

I like the new scape.
I had a tiny cherub in my nuvo 16 for a bit. He did not touch any of my corals.
Maybe I'll have to get a cherub angel then :)

Ad900

1clown
1 royal gramma
1 cherub angel
1 watchmen goby

Seems a little overcrowded, but could it work?

SkullV

Full grown that might be a little much for a 16g tank, but with those fish it can take a long time to get there. Just keep up with water changes and you should be fine. You have a ton of rock in that little tank too so there should be plenty of hiding spots for everyone to keep aggression down.

Ad900

Awesome! Sounds good :)

I bought a little cleaner shrimp today. They are super sweet and i was moving around a tipped over zoa frag and he "swam" up and started cleaning my hand. Worth the 18$ right there!!

Smith11

Awesome! Sounds good :)

I bought a little cleaner shrimp today. They are super sweet and i was moving around a tipped over zoa frag and he "swam" up and started cleaning my hand. Worth the 18$ right there!!

awh i miss mine, sold it a while back cuz i didnt want him becoming a snack for my morays

Ad900

awh i miss mine, sold it a while back cuz i didnt want him becoming a snack for my morays
They are pretty cool. Now he waits for me to put my hands in the tank so he can get an easy meal

Ad900

YWG goby would probably be fine, but does anyone have any suggestions on a smaller shrimp goby species that isn't going to hide?

Ad900

Today I went to reef city aquatics and bought a yellow watchman goby and candy cane pistol shrimp. The shrimp is TINY!! I'll get some pics later today