Aquatic Experience Chicago - Nov 6-8 2015 in Schaumburg

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I went to Aquatic Experience today hoping and expecting something better than what it was. I was hoping one of the tank manufacturers would have have a tank that took things to the next level. My must have tank is a peninsula tank. You won't find any of those at the show. They are all standard tanks that the same manufacturers make. If there was a single tank that caught my attention, it would have to be one of the Red Sea Reefer tanks. But even those tanks if you strip out the overflow box, it was just like all other manufacturered rimless tanks, except turnkey. When will manufacturers expand their lines to include peninsula style tanks in different sizes. Planet Aquariums had a tank on display with the ghost overflow version 1. To me personally that's not a huge improvement just because I can and have taken a more budget friendly tank and installed that very same overflow box on it without the huge markup.
In the lighting department, it was cool to see the soon to be released Reefbrite T5/Led fixture. Finally got to see the Kessil Ap700 in person as well, it has some serious coverage.
Other than that my overall impression was far more freshwater in your face than reef. You want to excite a crowd, raffle off a Kessil Ap700, raffle off a Red Sea Reefer System, maybe even a patio pond, raffling off a maintenance package isn't exactly thrilling, just reminds you that water changes suck.

superchargedgp

I went to Aquatic Experience today hoping and expecting something better than what it was. I was hoping one of the tank manufacturers would have have a tank that took things to the next level. My must have tank is a peninsula tank. You won't find any of those at the show. They are all standard tanks that the same manufacturers make. If there was a single tank that caught my attention, it would have to be one of the Red Sea Reefer tanks. But even those tanks if you strip out the overflow box, it was just like all other manufacturered rimless tanks, except turnkey. When will manufacturers expand their lines to include peninsula style tanks in different sizes. Planet Aquariums had a tank on display with the ghost overflow version 1. To me personally that's not a huge improvement just because I can and have taken a more budget friendly tank and installed that very same overflow box on it without the huge markup.
In the lighting department, it was cool to see the soon to be released Reefbrite T5/Led fixture. Finally got to see the Kessil Ap700 in person as well, it has some serious coverage.
Other than that my overall impression was far more freshwater in your face than reef. You want to excite a crowd, raffle off a Kessil Ap700, raffle off a Red Sea Reefer System, maybe even a patio pond, raffling off a maintenance package isn't exactly thrilling, just reminds you that water changes suck.
So not really worth it? Good deals on coral?

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
So not really worth it? Good deals on coral?
I can't honestly give my opinion on the worth of the overall experience simply because I think every person experiences it differently. I have never bought coral from swaps or expos so I don't really know if there was anything good.

mishmaster

It was worth it.
My friend is a lousy photographer, look how overweight he made me look.
View attachment 13562
You basically just walk up and grab them for free, barely a line since many people did not have the balls to grab them. I went for the big one, the gators are as nonchalant as the owner.
Red sea aquarium was so beautiful and quiet I couldn't believe my ears. Planet aquariums makes an aquarium called Crystaline with a ghost overflow if you ask for it specifically that caught my eye, I didn't get to hear that one though as it was an empty display.
View attachment 13560View attachment 13561
Free Sheist that comes in the bag
View attachment 13565View attachment 13566

There were corals and fish for sale, but I'm sure any cherry picks are gone by now. The freshwater planted display contest was top notch, there were some expert level aquariums on display. The venue was also nice, the hotel was very clean, roomy, and modern. Most likely will come back next year, definitely will come back if they bring back the gators, and I'll probably go alone, because my friend wanted to leave when I was still looking around.

Last edited:

Venom

Premium member
It was nice to see local vendors and some new products. Nice seeing you again Josh and thanks to Rod for the free pacific plankton. The big hit was the gator show, had a hard time getting venom away from them to see the rest of the show.
View attachment 13572

jrpark22000

Premium member
I got the chance to walk around this morning. There seems to be more freshwater on display than last year. There also seems to be a few less vendors selling saltwater frags. that said, there is a lot of saltwater vendors there with equipment, food, livestock, tanks, equipment, services and more. After talking to @unclecarl the presentations today were very good too. I really wish I could have partook.

The gator expereince was pretty cool. The amazon display along a large part of the front corner wall is amazing. I didn't get a chance to see the coldwater octopus display illumiated but I'll try again tomorrow.

I've run into all sorts of members stopping by the booth, Thanks for you all stopping by. My apologies for being so busy, it's been impossible to talk with enough people. I've also meet and helped a lot of new reefers and reefers who've been out of the hobby for 5+ years. I've spent hours over the last two days helping them immeidatly and pointing them to this great community for help and knowledge. I really forsee doing this again next year. It's been great to reach out to all the reefers who either know nothing of CR or very little.

rako1

Premium member
Yah I stopped by it was nice to meet with you Josh I had a good time there, but could have used a little more saltwater vendors, but it seen ed about 50 /50 I had a good time