Bomb Diggity Paly Grow-Out Contest

SkunkerX

I will get a better pic after the weekend. 125gal Display 55gal fuge/sump 8 39watt t-5 3 150watt MH 2 korilla #2, 1 # 4 and about 1000 to 1200gph flow from return, placement about mid tank, whatever food I throw in for the fish

tkh

Hmm, having read about the runaway polyps, I am a little worried now that mine is also trying to escape... its got an hourglass look to it now (a day or two after the pic below), and so far refuses to open for more than an hour or so. All my other palys and zoas (minus the 2 that have fungus) are doing well.. well, except for the chong bong.... I don't have high hopes for winning this summer, lol.

Anyhow! My setup and picture for the first checkin:

30g Cube
Metal Halide
Only flow is from the return, but that provides quite a lot. Hopefully adding a "turtle" powerhead soon as I can track Jay down.
Running Carbon, Purigen, Chemipure
Innovative Marine "mid-size" skimer

Other inhabitants: A lot of coral (zoas, palys, acans, favia, rhodactis mushroom, pavona, ricordea flor., gonipora, sympodium, frogspawn, torch, and soon to add 10 rock nems!!), oh, and a fire shrimp, and a serpent star.
Feeding: Rods rarely... target feeding homemade puree, occasionally.
Dosing: Vit C of course!

View attachment 16536

It's on the right :)

Herbie

Banned
Justt so I don't miss the check-in here is a quick and poorly taken shot of my frag. Currently sitting in a "Not Your Mama's" 18x18 AIO running a small skimmer and K1. I dose a whole lot of different things on a completely randomly way. Flow is an mj900. Lit by coralcompulsion 20k dimmable par 38. random moonlight strip. 100w heater. On RKE controller for expirementation purposes.
View attachment 16538

sparky5785

Initial check in.

24"x16"x12" acrylic frag tank made by Will with glass-holes overflow 20L sump with Reef Octopus NWB-110 skimmer quiet one 1200 return pump 120w ebay chinese light koralia nano 425&240.

Two clowns a sixline wrasse some hermits and snails.

Feed mysis and pellets.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Cecily

Stock 16 gallon Nuvo. Currently under 2 t5 bulbs - soon to be under a group buy it2060. I have a firefish and a tail spot blenny, along with a few snails and hermits.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

GBeck87

Heres my initial check in photo and info.

Tank: Oceanic Biocube 29
Lighting
RapidLED DIY Retrofit for the BC29 (Customized to 30 LEDs, And Full Spectrum)
Placement: Right hand corner Bottom 1/3 of the tank.
View attachment 16541

CoralN00b

Am I too late?

Here is my frag on the frag tree, halfway up in my tank.

I have a 28 gal nano cube with a metal halide hqi setup. 14k bulb. Nothing else for lights.

I feed it phytoplankton every other day. I also dose fuel twice per week.

The tank is stock.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jimbojames

I picked up frag a little later then most, im putting it in my 29 gallon moving it to the 65 gallon in a few weeks will do right up on that system when i move it, chong bong is in cheap 29 gallon system with a maxijet pump and a canister filter, and 2 T5 bulbs, will update with picure when light goes on. hope i didnt miss the growout deadline

BigBarnacles

Day three my polyp's stem snapped in half and I had to re-glue the frag. Several weeks later the healed and otherwise happy polyp snapped in half again and the head appears to be missing. Very strange as the frag is in a low flow area and I've never seen this before in a zoa or paly frag. If nothing starts growing soon ill be removing myself from the competition. (My other growout frag is in a similar location and I have had no problems with that one).

Also, I'm getting confused as people are posting pics of both growouts on this page. This page is for the circle plug correct?

CoralN00b

Mine is already popping some heads too. I see 3 lil beh beh bumps. I'll get pics up soon. My chong bong not so much.

DB9181

Great idea for a contest. You picked a tough polyp to grow in captivity! Best of luck everyone!
I guess its just one that doesn't like to be easily fragged, which there is no way of really knowing ahead of time on them more unique ones.

Day three my polyp's stem snapped in half and I had to re-glue the frag. Several weeks later the healed and otherwise happy polyp snapped in half again and the head appears to be missing. Very strange as the frag is in a low flow area and I've never seen this before in a zoa or paly frag. If nothing starts growing soon ill be removing myself from the competition. (My other growout frag is in a similar location and I have had no problems with that one).
Yeah, I'm equally as puzzled - I haven't seen this happen with other polyps...melt...blow off the tile/glue... but not repeatedly snap off mid-stem after being fragged (and seemingly quite happy) for over a week in my tank.

Heres an update one head and three baby bumps :)
Your picture is of the Chong Bong Frag, not the Neutron Bomb.

Reminder: Chong Bong grow outs are on square tiles ... Neutron Bombs are on round plugs.

Please do not post anything (pictures or discussion) regarding the other grow out on this thread (and vise-verse) as it just confuses others. Definitely feel free to chat, post updates, etc but please do it on the appropriate threads :)

BigBarnacles

Thanks for the clarification on which is which...just wanted to make sure everyone was posting on the correct thread.
And did you have a problem with your polyp too?

DB9181

Thanks for the clarification on which is which...just wanted to make sure everyone was posting on the correct thread.
And did you have a problem with your polyp too?
I gave away my own polyp :( because we were having them disappear. I have 4-5 tiny tiny heads left from fragging (1/2 the size of smaller zoas) that hopefully eventually grow out and I can replace peoples frag later on post-contest.