ElMatrix sea world.

#theMatrix

Well. Figure i would make a build thread.

It started with a 40b.

Tried to make it look nice.

Thats my 1st aquarium. A week into it i knew i would upgrade. Went from a 40 with sump and skimmer refugium ran a gfo reactor. Water parameters were great clear glass no pests.

Moved onto relocating the tank to the main living room.

Built a canopy for it. Two 165wat led and a 300w led in the center. Each one at 2ft apart lighting space. 3 sicce voyagers on wave controller. Upgraded skimmer to an insump reef octo. With an overflow ats coming from two HOB overflows. 9gal ato. Its a 126 glass tank with a 40gal acrylic nano creations sump 120lbs of live sand with 100lbs of mixed live rock.
Inside the canopy.

I know its not what most reefs look like. But i enjoy looking at the thing for hours.
Theres my full tank shot, member tank builds and 1st meaningfull post.

Edit.
Sump photos

Two bulkheads with elbow drains 5inches below water lvl. Two 300w heaters one set 4degrees lower then the otherone as back up.

down flow split to two unions with ball valves one for sump the other dor ATS(replaced today as maintenance) filter ziptied to egg crate and superglued suction cups for detritus. Reef octo has elbow drain to external overflow container.

Well. There it is

Last edited:

#theMatrix

[MENTION=2246]cet98[/MENTION] i have the prescription....and the remedy
needs more cowbell.......
[MENTION=259]MMreef[/MENTION] mark...its nothing compared to your basement buid. I want the dominoes on the sand and your lights right now im trying to retro fit some metal halides onto flood lamps theres a diy around but i lost the bookmark. As far as corals go...the posibilities have opened up. I sold my koran angel as he was eating my corals and fighting with the tank mates. Everythings at peace right now in there. As for fish. Id like a larger wrasse and a shoal of anthias or chromis.
Very nice, I like your aquascape , plenty of room for fish and corals.

Last edited:

Mjl714

"... As for fish. Id like a larger wrasse and a shoal of anthias or chromis."

Any interest in a 4-5" Formosa Wrasse? I've had it for about five years in a 75g, and am considering letting it go for a larger tank.

#theMatrix

What's the foam padding / insulation on the inside doors?
Good eye. When i turn on the lights for the ats it helps to stop light bleeding out of the cabinet. Also helps with sound from water.

On one of my other set ups i actually put dynamat i had laying around. It was silent.

#theMatrix

Full tank shot.

That green bta moves every night.

Edit. Tried to made the photo upright kept uploading sideways.
Heres a shot of the skimmate one weeks use.

Last edited:

#theMatrix

I drained skimmate last night. This morning it looks alot darker tunning the skimmer is making improvement. I noticed my gfo isnt tumbling anymore. It seems to clump up quicker than before.

Update, i got a pair of frostbite clowns last week. Ive had them in a breeder box. They were paired but as i thought once placed in a tank they could unpair. And it happened. They started the nipping process again. I placed a small bta in with them and they checked it out for 3 days before one started hosting it. Ita actually pretty neat to see. My daughter (20months old) loves them...she watches finding nemo and points to my aquarium. Well....
My question is. Hows any experience with letting a pair of clowns roam in a 6ft long tank with tank makes over 3in large and they look like snacks?

#theMatrix

Hope those are upright

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
...not many corals. Ill try some acans, brains and couple nems next year...will try one sps once again i think i know where the RTN happens so i will try one more time and hopefully ill have some millies.

#theMatrix

General maintenance to the tank done today.
Salinity was at 1.021 much lower than i would like to be in a display. I did a water change and added salt water. Was able to get the salinity to 1.024. Refractometer was calibrated and checked 4 times different spots of the DT and sump.
Im not sure were the salt would drop as ive been toping off with RODI and not much salt creep is around the top or sump area. DT has canopy.

I have 3 gallons set in a container that will be im place of RODI to the ATO.
Corals closed up during the adjustment but tank looks good over all.

Also changed out the GFO for phosguard pellets for this run. Water looks better. Will let the tank settle and get it ready for dosing soon.

Last edited:

#theMatrix

This just started ..has one episode and so far it was good. I suggest if you got time. To find a way to watch it. Showed some interesting behavior of corals in high speed motion growth of some sps

#theMatrix

Your big angels will probably feast on any acan that you put in the tank.
The big one i let go 2 weeks ago. Only one in there is a majestic. Hes 1.5"in big. Hes safe for now. But from experience yes. Ill be watching for nips and rehome if need be.

Im still looking at a shoal of anthias also.