ElMatrix sea world.

#theMatrix

I droped my auto feeder in my tank.

A week inside a bag with rice.
And it works. Motor spins and feeding times are set.
Since switching over to phosguard my substrate shows no dark spots. And the ATS is catching some green algae now [changed the mesh to a larger size] .

If all goes well. Ill be looking to placing a scopas and a blue tang i here

#theMatrix

Salinity 1.025
Alk 8.7 .salifert
Cal 440 .salifert
Mag 1450 .salifert
Nitrate undetectable .api
Phos undetectable .api

Was away all day. Time to watch and enjoy my tank.

Plan to dose sooner than later.

#theMatrix

So. Im thinking of adjusting or changing my power head locations.

Has anyone seen or tried.
Placing 3 power heads on one side only?
One high on back other middle front and the last bottom in back of tank. Also theres two returns on each sides of the tank...with two hob over flows.

Any thoughts?

#theMatrix

Been struggling with an algae bloom. And cyano. Things are settling down.. and now things are looking good. But during this i had to take my skimmer offline from overflowing..its now back up and running after a 2week off period, also i had much detrious from what is called white slime so alot of detrious went to my overflow causing my ATS to clogg thats plumbed into my overflow T. So the ATS has to get redone since my pod population is not visible

Also gave away the 6in foxface to a buddy.
Added couple more fish.
Will post later in week

that sucks man...i've lost many jumpers myself from expensive flames and hooded fairies to helfreichis and candy hogs and multiple McCoskers...luckily the new one i have doesn't seem as easily startled as my old ones

speaking of which, my red head fairy jumped last night...i saw him while i was feeding the tank and immediately rushed to try to get him back in the tank...i couldn't find him behind the tank with all the tubing and wiring back there for a good 3+ minutes...i threw him back in as quickly as possible and very slowly he started breathing...he remained sideways for well over 30 minutes...this morning he looked fine...not sure how he survived being out of water for 3 minutes, i doubt i can hold my breath for that long!

tinman

that sucks man...i've lost many jumpers myself from expensive flames and hooded fairies to helfreichis and candy hogs and multiple McCoskers...luckily the new one i have doesn't seem as easily startled as my old ones

speaking of which, my red head fairy jumped last night...i saw him while i was feeding the tank and immediately rushed to try to get him back in the tank...i couldn't find him behind the tank with all the tubing and wiring back there for a good 3+ minutes...i threw him back in as quickly as possible and very slowly he started breathing...he remained sideways for well over 30 minutes...this morning he looked fine...not sure how he survived being out of water for 3 minutes, i doubt i can hold my breath for that long!
Fish can stay out of water for couple hours ( may be more ) i think .. They have some mechanism to do with humidity in their skin or something so even if a fish looks little dried out after jumping out .. It still has a chance of reviving :)

Sent from my iPhone

Fish can stay out of water for couple hours ( may be more ) i think .. They have some mechanism to do with humidity in their skin or something so even if a fish looks little dried out after jumping out .. It still has a chance of reviving :)

Sent from my iPhone
Are you sure about a couple of hours? They can't breathe.

Edit: the kinds of fish we keep that is. I think some freshwater fish can do live out of water for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

#theMatrix

....that may work. If one sees it happen or even looks decent when found
This guy looked like he was in the desert ....probably happened real early. I was at work for 12hrs.

So i went to get some stuff from [MENTION=606]PiotrDrozdz[/MENTION] and as i was walking up to his place he immediately said. Your fish jumped? So i told him how bummed i was. He reached into his scrap/bin and pulled out a bag filled with the material used to make the cover...just gave it to me along with some mangroves (already in sump with light from the ATS)

Thanks! So this weekend ill be checking out home depot for the trim or just stappling the material to my canopy.

Next on my list is a potters wrasse. And again to mcCoskers and hood/flashers.

Once the lids in place i can look at anthias aswell.
Looking to grow brine and phyto this summer

madjoe

Premium member

Edit: the kinds of fish we keep that is. I think some freshwater fish can do live out of water for a while.

So a while back i was at under water world and was looking at 2 juvi tusk fish i went to call him over to bag one up and when i turned back around the sob was gone we looked everywhere for least 1/2 hr finally i gave up and took the other tusk he called me 2 hrs later and said he found the bastrd in the floor wasnt dried out most likely cause all the water on the floor there but dammit the sob survived idk why makes no sense but i watched that fish for two months after since im the only nut that puts tusk in a reef lol

So a while back i was at under water world and was looking at 2 juvi tusk fish i went to call him over to bag one up and when i turned back around the sob was gone we looked everywhere for least 1/2 hr finally i gave up and took the other tusk he called me 2 hrs later and said he found the bastrd in the floor wasnt dried out most likely cause all the water on the floor there but dammit the sob survived idk why makes no sense but i watched that fish for two months after since im the only nut that puts tusk in a reef lol
Mind = blown! It simply seems impossible for them to survive like that for that long but I guess they do breathe oxygen like we do. Good stuff I guess you do learn something new everyday!

madjoe

Premium member
Mind = blown! It simply seems impossible for them to survive like that for that long but I guess they do breathe oxygen like we do. Good stuff I guess you do learn something new everyday!

I couldnt believe it my self i actually drove back there next day just to see was little scratched up but alive unbelievable

#theMatrix

Idk how i feel about tossing a dried up fish not breathing back into the tank....
You guys place em back while barely breathing. But dry as a patato chip.

:dead: mcCosker...may you not be chased when im not home.

Oh, and net lid to come. Thanks guys. Ill remember the aqua man tip to do the CPR trick on a semi dried up fish.

tinman

Yup im talking about saltwater fish ..

My personal experience is with a clown .. Dont remember exactly but he is on carpet for about 40 mins or so for sure ... I heard him jump but couldnt find it and gave up, its under the couch about 3 feet away haha found it like 30 or so mins later put him in the tank and its swimming/floating on its side got stuck at the overflow ( this is a nuvo 16) and i pulled him back twice and went to bed. Next day morning He was swimming like nothing happened

Sent from my iPhone

anarchy

Think i should put this one back in water. Only hidden behind my stand for 2+ months until i found her

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

tinman

Think i should put this one back in water. Only hidden behind my stand for 2+ months until i found her

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Lol put it in . Circle of life feed it to coral

Sent from my iPhone

#theMatrix

So i ditched the magfloat after like 40 scratches on my tank....
Just got the tunze care magnet. This thing is amazing.

Been thinking about this.
My ato does 5gal in 4days. The chamber where its steady and the ato sswitch is placed has a large foot print. I tried looking for a volume calculater but everythings in ft not in. So. The footprint is 15x13 and has to drop 1inch to start the ato. So how much is evap and put back in? Im trying to figure out the amount thats put in to check how much kalk would go in at a time if i was to go the kalk/ato route.
Anybody?

.844 gallons. So about a gallon of water evaporates and a new one is put in. Meaning if i mix .5 teaspoon of lime water to rodi water ratio using an aqua lifter would transfer the whole amount in less than an hour. Ive heard people dose the amount in spread in a day.... not sure if i should be doing this with the ato sensor or a timer spread

Last edited:

#theMatrix

Added a slick 4 out manifold to my sump. I was unable to plump it to the supply pump so im running it off a 1200gph maxijet and works awesome...im feeding the phosban reactor the ATS and i placed a hose to do some water changes with the manifold. All on ball valves so its easy to turn on and off when i need to do quick changes or even 35gal changes.

Lost another mckoskers...my fish are agressive and shocked or stressed an afrikan wrasse to death (i saw the death blow) umm also witnessed crudes hogfish kill a red hooded fairy wrasse.

So instead of dumping fish in my DT to watch get killed.
I have a small holding tank for new fish sort of like a QT/observation tank.

Holding a small leopard wrasse and a small scribbled rabit fish.

Both on day one....rabbit eating like a slob. Leopard wrasse picks on stuff. Will try to soak food with prepared food.

#theMatrix

Before i left on my 2week vacay i left the tank on auto pilot... the ATO took the 10gal ATO was plenty but the sump was at the minimum so my pump was throwing bubnles from air.

Before i left i upgraded to the dc12000 pump and upgraded to 1in pvc return lines. After 3 leaks i was good and worry free to leave the state.

#theMatrix

So one thing i did was i have a really high gph powerhead something like 2400 anyways. Its strong and blows detrious nicely and the flow ends up coming back from the other side. What i did was, i placed silicone on the wetside base...what i can do is basically slide the powerhead with the magnet around inside the tank from the outside magnet...so i move it to blast behind the rockwork or up higj flow...or to stire up sandbed.
I do this when ever i feel like craps settling or what ever.

Try it? Koralia/sunsun what evs power head laying around. Place silicone on wetside base....and then once in place. You can move it around. Neat plus lets me clean where the area is on the glass