Gsp reef

Smitty

Premium member
Good afternoon chicagoreefs family. I've lost all my seahorses, well, my wife lost all her sea horses....and decided to do something else with the tank, other than more seahorses. I've thought long and hard about what to put in the old seahorse tank, and decided to convert some green spotted puffers(Gsp) over from fresh to saltwater. Of course it will be a species only tank, and I'll probably throw in some softies and gorgonians/whips in there. So I just purchased two young puffers, and they're currently going thru their acclimation. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100LL

Good afternoon chicagoreefs family. I've lost all my seahorses, well, my wife lost all her sea horses....and decided to do something else with the tank, other than more seahorses. I've thought long and hard about what to put in the old seahorse tank, and decided to convert some green spotted puffers(Gsp) over from fresh to saltwater. Of course it will be a species only tank, and I'll probably throw in some softies and gorgonians/whips in there. So I just purchased two young puffers, and they're currently going thru their acclimation. Wish me luck.

Sorry to hear about the seahorse, but glad you're moving forward with the GSP species tank.

Best of luck!

Smitty

Premium member
Sorry to hear about the seahorse, but glad you're moving forward with the GSP species tank.

Best of luck!
Thank you very much. Yeah, seahorses are cool but they are soooo delicate and needy. We go out of town sometimes, and always have to have someone at our house to feed them. My reef is totally self sufficient. Plus, puffers are more active and fun to watch.

madjoe

Premium member
So i saw gsp tank and i thought u were gonna civer wgole tank with green star polyps lol

Smitty

Premium member
Lol...I purposely did that bro. Ironically tho, I'm gonna do that too.

ITeach2Wheels

I did that a few years ago. Had a deal with my LFS. They had lots of snails growing in their FW tanks I had a hungry puffer. A match made in heaven. He'd go nuts "hunting" his prey. Probably my most enjoyable non-reef tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty

Premium member
I did that a few years ago. Had a deal with my LFS. They had lots of snails growing in their FW tanks I had a hungry puffer. A match made in heaven. He'd go nuts "hunting" his prey. Probably my most enjoyable non-reef tank.

That's pretty cool.

ITeach2Wheels

Now that I think about it, that might be a plan for my BC8 after my new (to me) NanoCube 28 finishes cycling and everybody moves into their new digs....

Smitty

Premium member
Now that I think about it, that might be a plan for my BC8 after my new (to me) NanoCube 28 finishes cycling and everybody moves into their new digs....

Sounds like a plan. Will you leave yours freshwater, or convert to saltwater?

ITeach2Wheels

I'll go salt. Then I can keep a few softies in there. My puffer actually lived a few years in the salt tank. Unfortunately, I had a heater fail and he got overheated. I'm trying to remember what else I kept in the tank. I know he wasn't by himself.

Also I read somewhere, that puffers need to eat snails or other hard shellfish to keep their teeth from growing to much.

One little puffer can eat a lot of snails!!

Smitty

Premium member
I'll go salt. Then I can keep a few softies in there. My puffer actually lived a few years in the salt tank. Unfortunately, I had a heater fail and he got overheated. I'm trying to remember what else I kept in the tank. I know he wasn't by himself.

Also I read somewhere, that puffers need to eat snails or other hard shellfish to keep their teeth from growing to much.

One little puffer can eat a lot of snails!!

Good choice going salt. I had some in a 125 fish only tank with tangs, an angel, clowns, triggers years ago. The need the smail/crabs every once in a while to help grind their teeth down. But mines ate mostly freeze dried mysis shrimp.

ITeach2Wheels

I can't remember what mine ate, besides snails. I think I ended up going salt because I got some rock with Majanos all over it. Since I didn't need the rock in my display and the Majanos were so pretty, I kept them with the puffer.

No, I didn't know what they were at the time. I was pretty green.

Didn't go well for them though, there wasn't enough light to keep them going even with feeding.

Mjl714

I like the idea as well. I've had these puffers in a brackish tank with archers. Pretty cool characters.

Cubano32

Premium member

Damn sorry to hear that man.. Hope all goes well with the new tank

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
That's what i keep telling the wife. They have awesome personality.

Sent from my Note 5
Let me know how it goes I been trying to think of what to do with a 30g tank I just got maybe I'll do something like what your doing :)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk