guns!

Gary

If I had to guess it's a G19. But I'm not sure 100%

Glock has a few different 9mm in different sizes.

G17, Full Size Glock. Some will argue it's just simply too big of a gun. (I'm a smaller person so I agree. :) )
G19, a Slightly smaller Glock, considered a Compact IIRC. I like this size if I were to have a home defense pistol and had plenty of money. (but I actually use a Sig 9mm pistol for home defense)
G26, a Subcompact carry designed pistol. Depending on your hand size, you can carry both, but the SC verisons typically let your picky "hang" or not wrap around like the rest of your hand. Of course there are a few things you can buy to correct that, but if your have really big hands, then a 19 may work as well.

Check out Glocks website, they give a good amount of info.

Please don't take this as any way of me promoting Glock as the best pistol. My opinion on the best pistol will be kept to myself unless asked LOL. but I do know a lot of what I said thus far was directed to a Glock.

CoralN00b

I picked up a beretta px4 for my first handgun. I did a ton of research prior to buying it and found only good reviews. Its deff an awesome gun. I got the full size and even my gf can shoot/**** it. Deff look jnto it as an option
+1 on the px4. I also tried out a glock 19 recently an an HK and loved the accuracy and feel on them. They both gave me tight groupings and control. Definitely start with a 9mm.

mtrcyclefish

Go rent a few guns before you buy anything. Try different calibers and manufacturers. Some people love glocks, other loathe them. NO ONE, regardless of their knowledge or experience can tell you what gun is right for you. A 9mm, in my opinion, is useless for anything other than target shooting. Its too small and under powered for home defense. It simply does not pack the knock down power required. Don't believe me? Try to find a cop still carrying one. Almost all have gone to .40 or bigger. Picking out a gun is exactly like picking out you favorite pants. Some fit better, some look better, and others will last longer. You need to find that happy medium that works best for you.

DD

"Rambo"
Go rent a few guns before you buy anything. Try different calibers and manufacturers. Some people love glocks, other loathe them. NO ONE, regardless of their knowledge or experience can tell you what gun is right for you. A 9mm, in my opinion, is useless for anything other than target shooting. Its too small and under powered for home defense. It simply does not pack the knock down power required. Don't believe me? Try to find a cop still carrying one. Almost all have gone to .40 or bigger. Picking out a gun is exactly like picking out you favorite pants. Some fit better, some look better, and others will last longer. You need to find that happy medium that works best for you.
That's just crazy. 9mm is more than enough to put someone down. The police do carry .40 or larger for the most part, and I'm not arguing that any caliber bigger than 9mm doesn't have as much stopping power, because they do. 9mm center mass will stop an intruder, and IMO any HD firearm should be loaded with HD ammo.

.22LR is responsible for more deaths every year than any other caliber. In a home defense scenario where you're alerted in the middle of the night to someone breaking in, I would personally want 16rds flying downrange than 12 or less. I know that I'm more than likely not going to have the best aim at 3am, drowsy, and in the dark.

misenplace101

Very well said.... +1.
Totally Agee on 9mm. Still a good caliber to start off with.

CoralN00b

I have to agree with Dom on this one. A 9MM will definitely stop an intruder and any professional training school or instructor will tell you the same thing. We can argue this all day but when sh!t hits the fan at 2 or 3 am, everything you did at the range is out the door and so is the caliber you have. Your accuracy and everything will be gone. Most people will freeze up anyways. Everyone talks big about how we will all do this and that but until you are actually in a combat or self-defense situation, you don't know how you will react. Spraying around is the more likely scenario though because fear and adrenaline WILL take over and that means you will lose shots.

I am not going to say one caliber is better than the other but I have a 9 MM with critical defense rounds. I want the more shots just in case. Plus, my wife has not had training or been in combat like I have so she will most likely just spray shots.

It is important with having any handgun to do situation training and not just range training. Your intruder won't stand at 25 - 30 yds and not move like a target at the range does. You have to train for a moving target and accuracy under stress. Everything else is just mute and for the range.

CoralN00b

I think the most important advice I can offer to the OP, and anybody else that ever purchases a gun, is to ask yourself one question........ If and when sh!t were to hit the fan, are you willing and prepared to take someone's life? I am not looking for your answer but that is a very important question to ask yourself and if the answer is anything less than a 100% yes, you shouldn't get a handgun for self defense.

Yes, they are great and I believe every single person should have one but I also believe you have to be prepared for the consequences of ever having to use that handgun. the after effects of taking a life are not easy and that is something that is often overlooked on a serious level. In the Marines, they made every single one of us contemplate that for a long time before receiving proper training for combat. I felt it was one of the most important aspects of our training to be honest.

johnike

I believe it is, Brian.
It belongs to a Lounger that visits here often. Feel free to come down anytime, I'm 2 miles West of where I-180 turns into Rt29.
How's the young one and Mama Bear doing?

Gary

False.

This was only a valid comment during the crack/cocaine era when copes stopped using .38's and started carrying 40cal to stop someone jacked up on drugs.

No matter the bullet, a bullet can stop someone.

If we really wanted to try to throw around home defense only scenarios, which by the way we are not, then we would and should consider a pump shotgun.

BigBarnacles

Bottom line...
Obviously the bigger the bullet the more stopping power it has. That being said, all bullets are lethal. As DD mentioned, the little .22 is one of the most lethal calibers. Any sized home defense round is capable of stopping an intruder. It just might take a round or two more to put him down. Hence the shotgun being very effective and home defense weapon of choice.
However, the op presented this discussion about which "pistol" he should purchase first. I don't recall him asking which is best for concealed carry, home defense, or stopping power. I believe he was referring to comfort and reliability. Let's get back on topic.

mtrcyclefish

So you're expecting a sane sober person to break into your house and threaten your family's safety? In any self defense scenario your main goal is to kill the offender in the fastest way possible. Not hurt him, chase him off, or "incapacitate" him. As long as an attacker still lives he still presents a threat. Even with a bullet through his heart he can still continue to shoot you. FACT: 9mm cause far less damage to the human body than a .40 or .45. FACT: a 9mm bullet can be stopped or deflected by a large muscle mass. FACT: a 9mm bullet tends to graze rather than penetrate when it strikes a target on an angle instead of head on. It's called deadly force for a reason. It's not harmful force or deterrent force. Why would you not want to have as much power as you can comfortably control?

A shotgun is definitely a formidable weapon, but its also extremely awkward to use inside, as well as intimidating for a lot of users. Not to mention the mess you'll make inside your house whether you hit someone or not.

Police went from .38's to 9mm for the additional ammo capacity, ease of use, and cost. With the huge government contract for Beretta 9mm it became very cheap for municipalities to get them. It was later that they learned the hard way that a 9mm just doesn't get the job done very well when it comes to putting an instant and definitive end to a hotile person. Hence why they went with a more expensive .40 or .45. A 9mm will penetrate a body. It just doesn't do much after it gets in. All of its energy is expended upon impact.

DD

"Rambo"
So you're expecting a sane sober person to break into your house and threaten your family's safety? In any self defense scenario your main goal is to kill the offender in the fastest way possible. Not hurt him, chase him off, or "incapacitate" him. As long as an attacker still lives he still presents a threat. Even with a bullet through his heart he can still continue to shoot you. FACT: 9mm cause far less damage to the human body than a .40 or .45. FACT: a 9mm bullet can be stopped or deflected by a large muscle mass. FACT: a 9mm bullet tends to graze rather than penetrate when it strikes a target on an angle instead of head on. It's called deadly force for a reason. It's not harmful force or deterrent force. Why would you not want to have as much power as you can comfortably control?

A shotgun is definitely a formidable weapon, but its also extremely awkward to use inside, as well as intimidating for a lot of users. Not to mention the mess you'll make inside your house whether you hit someone or not.

Police went from .38's to 9mm for the additional ammo capacity, ease of use, and cost. With the huge government contract for Beretta 9mm it became very cheap for municipalities to get them. It was later that they learned the hard way that a 9mm just doesn't get the job done very well when it comes to putting an instant and definitive end to a hotile person. Hence why they went with a more expensive .40 or .45. A 9mm will penetrate a body. It just doesn't do much after it gets in. All of its energy is expended upon impact.
Nice derail, again.

OP asked for if anyone knows where guns shows are, and what would be a good FIRST handgun. Not an argument over which caliber will kill someone better.

My first was a 45ACP. The only thing that did was ingrain bad habits in my shooting that took years to work out.

Go to an old school guns shop and ask what caliber would be a good first handgun, and 8 or more out of ten times the answer will be 9mm.

If you want to discuss home defense ideas, start a thread. There are many of us on here that would join in on that discussion.

mtrcyclefish

Go to an old school guns shop and ask what caliber would be a good first handgun, and 8 or more out of ten times the answer will be 9mm.
Then they would be giving uninformed advice. Like I stated in my first post in this thread, no one can tell you what you should start with. In fact, we're all giving a bit of uninformed advice. The op never stated what he wanted a gun for. If he wants to punch holes in paper then a 9 is good. Hell, save money on ammo and look into a nice .22. That's about the cheapest ammo you can get. If he wants a gun for nearly any other reason then 9mm is not the way to go. Also, like I said in my first post, that's my opinion. I consider it to be a pretty well informed one.

You can get very good deals at shows, but you can also get really screwed. It sounds like the op isn't very knowledgeable about guns. Try to take someone with you who is. If you want to buy from a show then I would still go rent a few first so you know what you like when you get there. How a gun feels in your hand "dry" is very different then when its loaded. The last thing you want to do is buy something that you're not happy with. If you start with the right gun you'll probably end up hooked on shooting. Kinda like reefing!

DD

"Rambo"
Then they would be giving uninformed advice. Like I stated in my first post in this thread, no one can tell you what you should start with. In fact, we're all giving a bit of uninformed advice. The op never stated what he wanted a gun for. If he wants to punch holes in paper then a 9 is fine. Hell, save money on ammo and look into a nice .22. That's about the cheapest ammo you can get. If he wants a gun for nearly any other reason then 9mm is not the way to go. Also, like I said in my first post, that's my opinion. I consider it to be a pretty well informed one.
Lol! Never mind............smh

Jep21

:suspicious: