guns!

bryman

If I can throw in my 2 cents.....

9mm will work just fine for home defense. 9mm has a very high velocity, higher than .40 and .45, although the bullet is smaller. Use some good home defense expanding rounds like Hornady Critical Defense and it will convert some of that velocity into stopping power and do serious damage. One of the early problems with 9mm was over penetration (through walls, etc.) because of the high velocity with FMJ. Hollowpoints prevent the over penetration and dump the energy into the target. And heck if you miss a bunch of times you usually have higher capacity than bigger calibers.

I have 4 different calibers now, and I still consider 9mm as the best handgun caliber to start with. I'd recommend a first gun with a barrel 3.5" or longer so you can practice your accuracy and have less recoil. So I'd go midsize or full size. My first was also a PX4 and I think it is a good choice. However like others said, the best thing to do is to rent a few (Beretta, Glock, Springfield XD/m) and see what fits your hand best, and what you shoot best. Don't just get what looks coolest ;)

Online resources to check for good deals are gunbroker.com and slickguns. You can buy a gun out of state online, and have it transferred to a local FFL dealer for pickup. I've used http://www.illinoissecurefirearm.com several times with good success. You can save a lot of money this way because you don't pay tax and the transfer fee is only around $27. I've saved between $50-200 this way. Only downside is that you will wait longer than 3 days. Usually about a week to two weeks depending on the FFL dealer's schedule and shipping time.

I am getting the handgun for home safety as of now. I do think I'll go to the range and try out different ones first and see how they feel. As to shooting someone in the house, Illinois has the worst laws in that aspect as you will go to jail unless you can prove that they shot at you first. correct me if I'm wrong.
U r wrong ,and always remember you yelled STOP and feared for the safety of you and your family . I pity the fool that enters my homes un-invited

bryman

From the research I've done, you are basically screwed in Illinois if you use your weapon in self defense even if you are justified. Don't even think about being a hero and stopping a non-lethal felony crime. You basically have to jump out the window of your own home to escape an intruder. If you try to defend yourself you will be treated worse than the criminal in most cases. You will need to put out a lot of money for your defense no matter how "justified" you are, and you will likely spend a few nights in jail. It's smart having insurance such as what USCCA offers if you are going to carry. It is a huge responsibility and your life will change for the worse if you ever have to discharge your weapon.

From the research I've done, you are basically screwed in Illinois if you use your weapon in self defense even if you are justified. Don't even think about being a hero and stopping a non-lethal felony crime. You basically have to jump out the window of your own home to escape an intruder. If you try to defend yourself you will be treated worse than the criminal in most cases. You will need to put out a lot of money for your defense no matter how "justified" you are, and you will likely spend a few nights in jail. It's smart having insurance such as what USCCA offers if you are going to carry. It is a huge responsibility and your life will change for the worse if you ever have to discharge your weapon.
This is not the case in Lake County, IL.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Gary

I'd love to be the trial case for that in IL. Spend a few nights in jail, have the NRA and others bank roll and defense, then sue the **** out of the state and city. Which I assume they would drop and if not, I'd love to go to the ILSC and then to the SCOTUS. I'd be rich and famous by the time it's over.

CoralN00b

Bryan, I am curious where you found that research. Not calling you a liar or anything, just genuinely curious.

Everything i have seen and been told is that as long as the person is within your home, and poses a threat, you are safe. Given that you have a valid FOID and the gun and everything is legit.

Shooting someone in the back at the front door is a different story because they will say the threat was being eliminated by the intruder's departure.

bryman

What I'm talking about is the worst case scenario. For instance if you live in Cook County. I got this info partially from my concealed carry classes (UT, FL), the USCCA, and a cop friend. Regardless of the situation, you will be arrested and thrown in jail. You will possibly face criminal and/or civil charges. Even if you are found not guilty in criminal trial it doesn't mean that you will win the civil trial. You will need a lot of money to defend yourself, and a lot of time off work as well. Especially if you are in jail. These are things to seriously consider before you decide to carry.

- Bryman

SkunkerX

So what you are saying is if someone breaks into my house while I am home I have to jump out my window and let him take or do what ever he wants in my house and if I shoot him instead of fleeing that I am the criminal and I will go to jail for defending my home not to mention the safety of my family?

bryman

So what you are saying is if someone breaks into my house while I am home I have to jump out my window and let him take or do what ever he wants in my house and if I shoot him instead of fleeing that I am the criminal and I will go to jail for defending my home not to mention the safety of my family?
Edited - I was wrong. Its outside the home you have to flee if possible (not imminent threat on life).

- Bryman

BigBarnacles

Bryman...from a legal site pertaining to "Castle law" and Illinois...

(In Illinois) "law allows for the use of physical or deadly force when the invader has forcefully entered the home."

Gary

Sigh, tired of this debate. pretty sure all states have a version of the castle law, or another law designed to allow for protection of you and your family. Some states take it to the next level and even go property.

SkunkerX

Well if someone breaks into my home I will be in fear as I cannot flee because I am in a wheelchair and cannot defend myself in any other way.

bryman

I feel like I'm a serious buzz kill spouting all this stuff out, but it's important to know that although Illinois will soon have CC, it isn't necessarily self defense friendly. Antigun politicians like those in Chicago or the governor will try to make examples out of CC holders that commit crimes. Laws need to be made to prevent legally armed citizens to protect themselves like in other states. Illinois is historically anti gun and it will be a challenge to get common sense self defense laws enacted. The antigunners like to think the upstanding gun owners are the problem instead of addressing the real issue like gang violence, poverty, and drugs.

- Bryman

Gary

The debate was about guns in home defense, not CC.

Ill has good laws in the sense of self defense, The city and parts of Cook Co are the exception.

IL has no duty to retreat.

bryman

Bryman...from a legal site pertaining to "Castle law" and Illinois...

(In Illinois) "law allows for the use of physical or deadly force when the invader has forcefully entered the home."
I stand corrected on this point. Thanks BigBarnacles. Its so freaking confusing in Illinois and obviously I got some bad info somewhere on the home defense topic. I am still worried though about CC in public in IL. Hopefully part 2 of the training will clarify this more. I guess the better question to ask isn't when can I shoot but when do I have to shoot.

- Bryman

CoralN00b

That last statement is the one you have to worry about. If someone comes into a mall and starts shooting the place up and i have a completely legal CC on me and everything is legit, and I decide to take that guy out because he is on a shooting spree. I am 99.9% sure i will not have to spend any time in jail, or go broke trying to defend myself.

Now if someone hits my car and I'm upset and I draw on the person and shoot, then i deserve to go to jail. There will be both types of these situations once this all goes into effect. Just like anything else out there. There is good and there is stupid. You just have to decide which side you want to be on.

reefjedi82

i am a avid shooter and own about a dozen guns,shows can give you good deals and yes the waiting period is a standard but the best thing to do is go to a store with a wide variety and try some on everybodys hands are different for example the gen 3 glock felt weird in my hand so i purchased a springfield xd seven years ago however i bought a gen 4 g22 and it feels wonderful so my point is try some and see what works for you any questions feel free to ask lots of good gun manufactures out there

I will take my chances and PITY THE FOOL that comes thru one of my doors or windows uninvited :ph34r: