guns!

Jep21

Then they would be giving uninformed advice. Like I stated in my first post in this thread, no one can tell you what you should start with. In fact, we're all giving a bit of uninformed advice. The op never stated what he wanted a gun for. If he wants to punch holes in paper then a 9 is good. Hell, save money on ammo and look into a nice .22. That's about the cheapest ammo you can get. If he wants a gun for nearly any other reason then 9mm is not the way to go. Also, like I said in my first post, that's my opinion. I consider it to be a pretty well informed one.

You can get very good deals at shows, but you can also get really screwed. It sounds like the op isn't very knowledgeable about guns. Try to take someone with you who is. If you want to buy from a show then I would still go rent a few first so you know what you like when you get there. How a gun feels in your hand "dry" is very different then when its loaded. The last thing you want to do is buy something that you're not happy with. If you start with the right gun you'll probably end up hooked on shooting. Kinda like reefing!
:afraid:

Rent some guns or go shooting with some friends. It's all personal experience. Caliber is only part of the equation. You also have bullet weight, pressure, and pistol mass that all contribute to the shooter experience. Carry the largest caliber that you can shoot accurately. Shots on target are what kills. Whether it's .22 or 500mag. For example, my mom is all over the place with 9mm but she is Annie Oakley with a .45. Also, bullet weight bullet weight bullet weight. The more energy transferred to the target without over penetration wins.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

BigBarnacles

Rent some guns or go shooting with some friends. It's all personal experience. Caliber is only part of the equation. You also have bullet weight, pressure, and pistol mass that all contribute to the shooter experience. Carry the largest caliber that you can shoot accurately. Shots on target are what kills. Whether it's .22 or 500mag. For example, my mom is all over the place with 9mm but she is Annie Oakley with a .45. Also, bullet weight bullet weight bullet weight. The more energy transferred to the target without over penetration wins.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
The problem with your theory is that it's logical. Thus you are wrong.

These days its kinda important to pick one you can find rounds for....
or learn to load your own.

I'm more into my bow than ever since the cost and pain to keep the ammo stocked have been getting downright ridiculous lately.

my 45 and 22 are both colts, same handle. makes it a little easier on the wallet to use the 22's for practice, then when switching to the 45 it has roughly the same feel. Just a thought if your planning on shooting often.

Im really more into hunting rifles and shotguns than pistols, so not alot of help as far as having shot alot of what avail

just be safe and make sure to lock up your weapons.

Gary

These days its kinda important to pick one you can find rounds for....
or learn to load your own.

I'm more into my bow than ever since the cost and pain to keep the ammo stocked have been getting downright ridiculous lately.

my 45 and 22 are both colts, same handle. makes it a little easier on the wallet to use the 22's for practice, then when switching to the 45 it has roughly the same feel. Just a thought if your planning on shooting often.

Im really more into hunting rifles and shotguns than pistols, so not alot of help as far as having shot alot of what avail

just be safe and make sure to lock up your weapons.
Or just don't have kids :)

roilciuc

I am getting the handgun for home safety as of now. I do think I'll go to the range and try out different ones first and see how they feel. As to shooting someone in the house, Illinois has the worst laws in that aspect as you will go to jail unless you can prove that they shot at you first. correct me if I'm wrong.

Gary

I am getting the handgun for home safety as of now. I do think I'll go to the range and try out different ones first and see how they feel. As to shooting someone in the house, Illinois has the worst laws in that aspect as you will go to jail unless you can prove that they shot at you first. correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong. ;)

A lot has changed with the McDonald and Shepard cases here in IL.

BigBarnacles

so what is the current law then?
Technically Illinois doesn't have a law in place, such as stand your ground, being that concealed carry was illegal up until now. The closest law (in reference to use of a firearm) Illinois has pertains to forceable entry into one's place of dwelling and home self defense.
I'm hoping there will be clearly defined legislation soon.

mtrcyclefish

Illinois actually does have clearly defined laws when it comes to home defense. Concealed carry is irrelevant when it comes to that. Basically, if you can show that there was a legitimate threat to you or your family then lethal force is justified. For example: say an intruder breaks into the ground floor of your home. You and your family are all upstairs. If you shoot him you're going to jail. If he's upstairs entering your bedrooms then blast away without fear.

In the easiest explanation it really comes down to protection of life. You can not legally take a life to defend property, regardless of its value.

bryman

I picked up a beretta px4 for my first handgun. I did a ton of research prior to buying it and found only good reviews. Its deff an awesome gun. I got the full size and even my gf can shoot/**** it. Deff look jnto it as an option

Glad you like it :)