HELP! Controlling High Phosphates...

yogoshio

How high do you run your alk? I have read some weird science about how alk will grab onto phosphates and help reduce them in certain concentrations. Mines at 11.... I dunno, just trying to help...

yogoshio

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php#16

The first method of removing phosphates on here discusses high alk/calcium/mag can help reduce phosphates as well as pH factors in the process.

"If the calcium carbonate deposits are growing, then phosphate may become buried in the growing crystal, which can act as a sink for phosphate, at least until that CaCO3 is somehow dissolved. Additionally, if these crystals are in the water column (e.g., if they form at the local area where limewater hits the aquarium water), then they may become coated with organics and be skimmed out of the aquarium"

yogoshio

Maybe that's the difference then. There might be something else, but that article goes rather in depth as to the chemical processes behind it. And not trying to say I'm a better reefer than you either, Eric, cause I'm NOOOOTTT lol. Your growth and specimens are AMAZING.

gomery12

I use GFO and a hanna checker. I did have some cyano show up about 2 weeks ago, but it was right after I changed my GFO and now I have nothing. I run the BRS High Capacity GFO through my reactor. It runs all day and night, change it every 30 days. Phosphate is 0.02-0.03 on my hanna. My purple plating monti shows new growth after about a month in tank. Haven't seen any disadvantages running it.

WeedyDragon

Well I had the LFS check their water. Zero phosphates. So, Im wondering if it was spiking because of the coral food?

I did another water change and extensive cleaning. As an experiment, I bought a sock and some Pura Phoslock to throw in a skimmer chamber. Lets see how that works. :D

infinite abyss

Honestly, find the source of the phosphates.
Good advice. Phosphates must be coming from somewhere.. Try to find the source.

I would 1) Get it check with legit test kit. I test my out with api but maybe check with a fish store like beyond the reef(they use red sea i think).
2) Find source.
3) Have you been feeding a lot? I think phosphates rise dramatically when you overfeed or from uneaten food particles on sand bed.
4) Come in contact with sand a lot? Just moving the sand around can cause big rise in phosphates. Combine that with uneaten food and overfeeding + sand movement(could release high amounts of phosphates at once through the source of your sand bed).

WeedyDragon

How high do you run your alk? I have read some weird science about how alk will grab onto phosphates and help reduce them in certain concentrations. Mines at 11.... I dunno, just trying to help...
yogoshio: I completely missed your comment. So normally my Alk is around 8-10 dKH. I do not supplement since a have a hand full of corals and have been doing weekly water changes using Red Sea salt. But I just tested it and its really low now! I did a 25% water change a few days ago and added the GFO sock to my skimmer. New params are at:
Alk- 6.2 dKH
Ca- 375 ppm
Mg- 1300 ppm
pH- 8.0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0

Alk, Mag, and Cal all got lower when I would imagine the addition of fresh saltwater would raise them or at least keep them stable. Now Im really confused. :noidea:

Good advice. Phosphates must be coming from somewhere.. Try to find the source.

I would 1) Get it check with legit test kit. I test my out with api but maybe check with a fish store like beyond the reef(they use red sea i think).
2) Find source.
3) Have you been feeding a lot? I think phosphates rise dramatically when you overfeed or from uneaten food particles on sand bed.
4) Come in contact with sand a lot? Just moving the sand around can cause big rise in phosphates. Combine that with uneaten food and overfeeding + sand movement(could release high amounts of phosphates at once through the source of your sand bed).
infinite abyss: Ive been having my LFS test my phosphates weekly with their Red Sea kit. I do not think I am overfeeding. Although I was using a coral food once a week which might be the culprit. I only have a hand full or coral, so Im thinking that might be the problem. I didnt even think about the sand. I do thoroughly siphon my sand bed when I clean the tank. Not down to the bottom, but my bed is about 2" deep, and at most I get down .5".

yogoshio

Some salts have a low alk mix. Red Sea Coral Pro has alk at 11, which is why I use it. Most other salts are in the 6-8 range.

WeedyDragon

So does running GFO have any bad affects on SPS corals or snails? Ive noticed that my acro has not had good polyp extension and my turbo is hardly moving the last few days.

madjoe

Premium member
yea stopped running gfo if u dont get tumble right or use to much sps dont like it . to finicky switched to phos remover in the reactor instead

infinite abyss

IMO Buy the mixed SW or RODI water from your LFS and pay to have them tested. If results aren't good, request a refund :D

I did this with a LFS by my house using a TDS handheld tester to test the RO/DI water.. Lets just say algae free now and have my own unit to make water ;) Also I save on gas... LOL!!
Good thinking, to test water from local fish store...i plan to get my own rodi also, hope to test the lfs water in the meantime

Maybe ill inspect the lfs tanks for signs of algae too.

infinite abyss

just out of curiosity, how do you go about doing water changes?

do you use pump and suction out water from the bottom & between the rocks?

....keep us updated...i'd like to know if its the gfo or something else.

WeedyDragon

How much GFO is being used and is the tumble low or fast?
Well right now I am running about 2 tablespoons (29 gal tank) of GFO media in a sock. Its placed in the return skimmer chamber so Im not sure about the tumbling.

just out of curiosity, how do you go about doing water changes?

do you use pump and suction out water from the bottom & between the rocks?

....keep us updated...i'd like to know if its the gfo or something else.
Every time I do a water change, I clean the acrylic, use a baster to blow off detritus from rock work, start by siphoning the sand bed, then move to water column to suck out suspended detritus. (In that order)