JC Red Sea Reefer 350

Paulip

yea, i was hoping a bigger tank will lower the aggression. The orchid dottyback looks real nice. I was gonna grab that instead but my rocks are so purple that it wont stand out much.

I came home to the tank at 86 last week when I didn't have ANY A/C on =(. The fan seems to lower it by just a degree or so. Stupid Apex is not connected to the internet so I can't even tell how the temperature is changing throughout the day. I hate the Apex so much. I tried 3 different wifi extenders and none of them work.
Same thing happened to me. I was gone for a week and it was 86 degrees when I came home at 6pm. Previously, my fishless tank had gammarus the size of little crickets and they are now gone. Corals look fine and I managed to elude disaster.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

Premium member
....i keep my AC at 75 right now and when its really hot out it maintains my AC at 72. So someone keeping the AC at 82....would have me hyperventilating. I guess its my BP or the house has great insulation.
The A/C thermostat is pretty accurate so it keeps the house relatively cool at 82.

great looking setup thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. I was gone for a week and it was 86 degrees when I came home at 6pm. Previously, my fishless tank had gammarus the size of little crickets and they are now gone. Corals look fine and I managed to elude disaster.
time to get a fan =P.

Rcunning8

Premium member
yea, i was hoping a bigger tank will lower the aggression. The orchid dottyback looks real nice. I was gonna grab that instead but my rocks are so purple that it wont stand out much.

I came home to the tank at 86 last week when I didn't have ANY A/C on =(. The fan seems to lower it by just a degree or so. Stupid Apex is not connected to the internet so I can't even tell how the temperature is changing throughout the day. I hate the Apex so much. I tried 3 different wifi extenders and none of them work.
Hey I was thinking about purchasing a network extender to hook up my apex to. Which ones did u try? I heard the almond works well for apex and it looks really cool and for a good price as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
Hey I was thinking about purchasing a network extender to hook up my apex to. Which ones did u try? I heard the almond works well for apex and it looks really cool and for a good price as well..

I got a TPLink N300.

ninjamyst

Premium member
And this is the one that ended up working for you? Thanks for the help! Tank looks great!
Nope, doesn't really work but I dont think it's an issue with the wifi extender. It's either my house or Apex just blows. I may try your Almond one though. It's pretty expensive....

Rcunning8

Premium member
Nope, doesn't really work but I dont think it's an issue with the wifi extender. It's either my house or Apex just blows. I may try your Almond one though. It's pretty expensive....
Yea it is pretty pricey but I have learned that you get what you pay for and this is what I have seen other people successfully use and I wish to avoid the headache of buying, returning/ learning how to work multiple extenders and just get the one that works right off the bat, plus it looks so cool!!! Our network needs a boost by my tank as well so it is killing two birds with one stone and my roomate agreed to split it so not too bad!

ninjamyst

Premium member
Updates:
- picked up a red fromia starfish from Xzotic Aquatic World. Their new location is actually dangerously close to me....
- picked up blue tang 2 weeks ago from Aquapros and it is super healthy
- monticaps and birdsnest growing great but not much polyp extension or growth on acro frags. really want to get acros growing so I can pick up a few pieces

Side view:

Monticaps:

beetlenut33

Premium member
I absolutely love this tank. It has a very simple aquascape and a very artistic touch. Keep up the good work! You are doing great.

PS Your photography skills are also excellent. Subscribed.

ninjamyst

Premium member
July FTS:

I have one acro frag that is browning out on one side, but other acros frag have decent color. I think it's because of the kessil AP700 not enough coverage. All other SPS are doing great but not much growth on acros. Hmm...So I ordered the Kessil AP700 major diffuser kit that is suppose to widen coverage.

ultimatemj

With the diffuser you may want to lower the fixture.

That said, how are you keeping everything so clean?! Sharp tank!

ninjamyst

Premium member
With the diffuser you may want to lower the fixture.
That said, how are you keeping everything so clean?! Sharp tank!
Definitely plan to lower the lights 2-3 inches. I am only running the light at 65% max right now so I may even bump it up a little. Tank has been up 8 months almost and so far no crazy algae breakout. I do have film algae that covers up my zoa all the time and I have to take a toothbrush to them. My zoas are not doing awesome and I can't figure out why. The color isn't as vibrant as when I first got them.

I run chaeto in the sump and have over 2L of Seachem Matrix Biomedia. I am about to buy another liter of that stuff. Since I don't have a lot of rocks in the display, I need extra bio filtration. I plan to get a conch soon to help stir the sand. I sometimes get red / green diatoms on the sand after heavy feeding or like recently when my hermit went on a rampage and killed off all the trochus snails.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Where'd you get it from, I've been looking for one myself?
Xzotic Aquatic World by Milwaukee and Touhy in the North side. They had two this morning and I bought one. Both were opened and very nice. Call ahead to see if they still have one left and can hold it for you.

Rcunning8

Premium member
If you need a large fighting conch let me know I have two of them but only need one..