Kerber13's 120 gal upgrade

kerber13

OK people i'm picking up the tank tmrw and realized i have an abundance of cash (who knew you could have that?!?!) so i was wondering what i should buy new and what i should buy used...cause im feeling today is a good day to do some cyber shopping...

kerber13

What pump would u reccomend. This is what I have trouble with. Im drilling the tank but not sure where cause idk what's tempered and what's not but I don't really know how it works with the flow. Like would a mag 9 be good or what?

helitaiwan963

the quietone pump is way cheaper and works awesome IMO. I"m running one in my 75gal and it's dead quiet. and there's a lifetime warrenty as well

helitaiwan963

What pump would u reccomend. This is what I have trouble with. Im drilling the tank but not sure where cause idk what's tempered and what's not but I don't really know how it works with the flow. Like would a mag 9 be good or what?
As far as drilling goes, just don't drill the bottom of the tank, most tanks have tempered glass on the bottom. Anywhere on the back wall would be fine unless it's a custom tank with a tempered bacK?

PS: if u still need someone to drill your tank. just buy the correct bits and bulkheads and i'll drop by and drill your tank. it's really easy

kerber13

Not a custom tank and my uncle is a contractor and is bound to have all the drill bits etc etc. which quiet one pump would u rec. is the 5000 sufficient (1330 gph) thanks for all the responses guys!

helitaiwan963

Not a custom tank and my uncle is a contractor and is bound to have all the drill bits etc etc. which quiet one pump would u rec. is the 5000 sufficient (1330 gph) thanks for all the responses guys!
well what kind of contractor? To drill tanks you need diamond bits... Not your everyday drill bits.

and to figure out what pump you need, i think you need to figure out how much plumbing you're using. If you're using 3 ft of plumbing vs if you're going to have 6ft of plumbing, it makes a big difference. You can also go bigger and use a ball valve to dial it back. I believe you also need to figure out what size piping overflow you'll be using and what size return piping you'll be using.

kerber13

So basically wait till i get the plumbing situation in place then buy the return lol...and not sure but ik he's got diamond bits.

helitaiwan963

well once you get the tank ready and drilled, you should be able to have a rough estimate already. Or see what others with 120g's are running, and basically replicate their setup as far as return pump and plumbing goes.

FishBeard

Id do a mag12 on a 120, the 9.5 is too small once you calculate head loss on the return. Split the flow to a pair of 3/4" locline returns and you will be set for sump circulation.

In tank if you are doing Vortech's, the MP10's may be too weak to mount on the glass of a 120. I would just get two MP40's mounted opposite each other on the sides and call it a day. This should cost you about the same as two 10s and a 40 anyways.

kerber13

Ok well now that i pretty much have the equipment stuff figured out (thangs fishbeard, funlad, helitaiwan, and anyone else i missed) I'd like to put together a stocking list. So currently in my 55 gal tank i have:
yellow tang
2 occy clowns
diamond goby
bangaii cardinal
purple tilefish
pygmy angel
leopard wrasse

I really like:
Powder blue tang
regal angel
black velvet angel
potter's angel
a variety of leopard wrasses
a yellow striped clingfish
and maybe a group of anthias

helitaiwan963

I'd stay away from those angels if you are doing sps.

Also, try out some tunze pumps! Figured out my mp40 finally... Aligning it was a pain amd the noise is still more than I would like... The rubber pad may help so it may change my mind... If its no quieter tho, I'm debating tunze's

Funlad3

The Potter's angel is reef safe with SPS and softies, LPS are iffy. Doesn't stop me from wanting a pair though. :D

kerber13

What tunze would be good? The wavebox or what? And my theory for supposed coral nippers is if there tummy is full therell be no room left for corals :p

And potters angels r so cool

Funlad3

They just need very stable water parameters, good hiding spots (all of the Centropyge angels that I found stayed hidden beneath or inside of the branches of acropora colonies), and algae in their diet. If you have all of these, they're easy. :)