My Deep Blue Pro 80 Upgrade

cet98

Well, not many of you here know me but I’ve been an avid reefer for some time now and since CR is where it’s at, it only makes sense that this is the place to start my newest build thread…

Last summer my wife and I sold our home just outside the city and moved our family one hour west to the Western Suburbs, so my 40G Long Split Window to the Sea (which eventually turned into my 40B Single Window to the Sea after a supporting center panel seam broke and required an emergency tank transfer….thanks Madman, thanks Tiny) needed to be broken down and re-homed temporarily at my buddy’s house just minutes from our new place, for which I am truly forever grateful….
But now is the time to start the long overdue process of relocating my tank to its new resting place in my newly built Home Office which is 95% complete at this point

So with that, I thought what better to do than to start a tank transfer build/journal so I can keep a chronicled history of the “event”….if you’re up for the ride, welcome....if not, I still need to post this so I can remember what the hell I've done and what the hell I still need to do….

DISCLAIMER: Like me, this will be a slow process due to the fact that I am still required by my Wife to work and support my family of six while this “event” takes place…

The list of equipment will consist mostly of existing hardware and some recently acquired :
36" ATI Dimmable Sunpower 6X39W T5 fixture
Apex controller
(2)MP10wES pumps
40G Breeder sump
SWC160 cone skimmer
Ehiem 1262 return pump
Finnex 300W titanium heater (controlled by Apex)
Tunze 3155 Osmolater
BRS 4 Stage Value Plus RO/DI System - 75GPD
Aquatec 8800 Booster Pump kit

Most everything I own will be transferred and used on the new tank, but as always, new items will be added along the way….
First of which is the tank itself….a Deep Blue Professional 80 gallon RR Rimless…for me the footprint and height are the best I could have asked for in a pre-built aquarium. The only thing better would have been having the RR Overflow placed in the center or right corner instead as I will always see the left side of my tank when I enter my office but all in all I am still happy to have it.

I wanted to use the same custom tank stand I had used on the 40G but since it was built years ago for a completely different tank size originally, I now needed to figure out a permanent mod to allow the 80DB to be properly supported. After an hour on AutoCAD, I finally came away with what I felt was a very attractive and complimentary “addition” to the stand which I can say I am now very pleased with the results.

Original stand build was 54"W x 36"H x 24"D overall and consisted of a 27"W elevated center section and two flanking 12"W sections:

Modified stand with new addition now can accommodate the 48"W x 24"D footprint of the 80G DB:

So......for now, all I have to show is my new tank and a newly modified stand…
hopefully the next phase of building the new 40B sump will begin shortly…

ciao...

madjoe

Premium member
This guy is a jerk im not sure why hes a good friend .oh wait wtf . Ill tell u what i really like that stand now build me a canopy for front tank in black please

cet98

thanks guys....

This guy is a jerk im not sure why hes a good friend .oh wait wtf . Ill tell u what i really like that stand now build me a canopy for front tank in black please
bring the materials over here Sally and we'll get to work on a flashy new pimped out hoodie for you....something in pink I'm guessing....

madjoe

Premium member
thanks guys....

bring the materials over here Sally and we'll get to work on a flashy new pimped out hoodie for you....something in pink I'm guessing....
Told ya hes a jerk wont even buy the materials for his buddy

jrpark22000

Premium member
I'm "up for the ride..."

Love how you were able to mod the stand and get it to look so good in the new form.

DJE

Looks like a great build already! Following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cet98

thanks fellas...sorry for the lack of updates but I'm hoping to make some more progress this weekend....
I just got my RO/DI unit up and running so now I need to make a stand for my vertical container and get to makin' some H2O....lol
I've also decided on a sump layout so I'll need to get some baffles made soon so the sump can be glued up...

thanks for tagging along ;)

Last edited:

Spartanman22

The stand turned out quite nice! I'd love to upgrade to the 80 DB sometime in the future. I bought the stand for it but just have a 25 cube and frag tank on it. I'm assign those fans you picked up are going into this stand?

cet98

The stand turned out quite nice! I'd love to upgrade to the 80 DB sometime in the future. I bought the stand for it but just have a 25 cube and frag tank on it. I'm assign those fans you picked up are going into this stand?
weeeellll.....not exactly. originally I was going to place the original 20H sump in the center section of the stand but upon further review, it was recommended to me by my buddy to have my sump on the other side of the wall (a storage room) and have a larger 40B sump as well as easy access for maintenance....I am, however, setting up another 20G rimless tank with a cabinet sump, so at least one of those fans is expected to be put to use ;)

Spartanman22

Ha isn't it funny how plans always change! It never hurts to have fans laying around, and you're friend is certainly right I hate how cramped it is under my stand. I have a bit of ocd so it drives me crazy that everything's so jam packed into the stand. I'd love to have an open and easily accessible sump.

cet98

ya...I hate it when he's right.....lol
I agree, the in cabinet sumps are usually hard to work around and, like you, I suffer with OCD as well cause I can't stand salt creep and crap all over my stuff....the good thing is I can still house my electronics in the cabinet without exposing them to any water or salt creep and access them from my office :)

which reminds me....I need to buy some wall grommets....lol