My Deep Blue Pro 80 Upgrade

cet98

thanks Josh....I hate to say you're right, but you're right...
I do like the idea of an overflow cover though and will now look into designing something to do so. It will be a bit of a challenge since this is a rimless tank but I think I can figure something out...
In the very least, I can reduce/prevent algae growth within the overflow if I cover it with a black lid which will keep direct light out of it....thank you!!!

Eddie79

Premium member
Where were you 2 weeks ago :)

There was some sort of grease on my tank that even rubbing alcohol wouldn't get off. The paint just beaded in certain areas of the tank.

The reefer

thanks fellas....

almost forgot, I need to get to the store and buy some window tint for the back and part of the left side (to cover the exposed overflow area) and apply today...:hmpf:

speaking of the overflow, I'd like to know other's opinion regarding the DB durso standpipe strainer....not sure if I should or shouldn't install it.....the overflow box has teeth on it but a snail can certainly go over it and get lodged in the drain pipes...but the strainer will definitely restrict flow and can certainly become clogged....thinking to forget it....thoughts?

[MENTION=1277]jrpark22000[/MENTION] this will be a full tank transfer so no time for cycling....this will be an instant reef.... ;)
I didn't use the strainer on my 30db tank. Reason y I didn't need to is I made a mesh top that sits on top of my over flow. So that helps so my fish won't jump over and snails won't go down the drain. Also the drain was raised about 1-2" also. That helped get rid of the waterfall noise when it goes into the overflow and it also raises the water level in the DT. Only downfall is that the drain sticks out above the tank.

cet98

I didn't use the strainer on my 30db tank. Reason y I didn't need to is I made a mesh top that sits on top of my over flow. So that helps so my fish won't jump over and snails won't go down the drain. Also the drain was raised about 1-2" also. That helped get rid of the waterfall noise when it goes into the overflow and it also raises the water level in the DT. Only downfall is that the drain sticks out above the tank.
thanks for the heads up Jamie...I will definitely be building and applying a screen top but I think the added benefit of removing algae growth in the overflow with a black cover is something I still want... but I'll keep the durso height issue in mind as well...thanks again ;)

anarchy

Tank is looking great! I run the strainer on my 30 and works fine. I'm also pumping ALOT of water through it

ANARCHY

The reefer

@The reefer @anarchy are you guys having any noise issues with the durso? and if so, how have you dealt with it?
My durso is silent. But I got it that way cuz I raised up my drain. On the 30 g the overflow teeth r a bit higher than the water level in the overflow, cuz of that I would get a waterfall type noise from the water going into the overflow. Right now the only thing I really hear is my skimmer pump. Which is not that loud.

cet98

My durso is silent. But I got it that way cuz I raised up my drain. On the 30 g the overflow teeth r a bit higher than the water level in the overflow, cuz of that I would get a waterfall type noise from the water going into the overflow. Right now the only thing I really hear is my skimmer pump. Which is not that loud.
thanks Jamie...I will keep an eye out for this issue and adjust the durso pipe if needed....

Drdavis

Premium member
I have this exact tank and I like the water level high. IMO do not use the strainer unless you want water on the floor. That overflow area will get the junk surface skimmed out of the tank and the last thing you want is for it to be restricted.

The one modification I have done to all of my tanks now is to put some filter material between where the wier teeth are and your standpipe. It stops the water crashing sound and silences the overflow.

Don (drdavis)
Don Davis
220 Gallon Mixed Reef & 60 Gallon Seahorse Tank
With Dual Basement Sumps
http://www.reeftronics.net/drdavis/apex-status
http://www.reeftronics.net/drdavis/apex-history