New rules

Jep21

As a sponsor I just thought there would be little extra bonus put it appears there really isn't and that's OK I'll just choose 2 big Mac meals instead of supporting this when renewal comes around
Before you signed up to become a supporter.. The perks were all laid out for u.. So u would knw what u paid for so I don't understand why ur all like this if u knw and everything was stated before u were signing up..

Just like me before I signed up I made sure I liked all the Perks that came with becoming a supporter and made sure I read everything..

yogoshio

Before you signed up to become a supporter.. The perks were all laid out for u.. So u would knw what u paid for so I don't understand why ur all like this if u knw and everything was stated before u were signing up..

Just like me before I signed up I made sure I liked all the Perks that came with becoming a supporter and made sure I read everything..
I think the perks are all well and good, but now that they're limiting supporters instead of helping them is the issue. Instead of treating them as shareholders they're like any other non-paying member.

Steve1986

I think it would make it easier on all of us if we remembered this forum is a business, not a community. People that "sponsored" this site are confusing it for a not-for-profit organization. You have not bought shares, nor have you done anything to give you any sway in decisions, since as far as I know this is a sole-proprietorship. We have as many freedoms on here as the owner allows and nothing more.

We can complain we get nothing in return, but return for what? Our activity on this site is what gives the owner leverage to sell advertising space. The information we post and the PMs we send are scanned for information to sell to advertisers and is used to make the owner money, which is great!

But, Chicago Reefs is not a community organization, it's a business, and to confuse the two is the problem here. While whatever rules are established can be discussed and potentially changed, it is completely up to the discretion of the owner to do what he feels is in his best interest. Whether that's keeping sponsors happy or the community happy is his decision, and a VERY fine edge to walk on, and I don't envy all of those decisions.

However, that being said, its not a club, it's Mike's business, so frankly, he can do what he wants.
Oooooohhhh ! I see, said the blind man.

Just remember there is no "renewal" when that time comes around. Since it is an automated subscription with PayPal, you need to remember to go in and cancel the subscription before you are charged on the anniversary date of setting up the subscription, or simply PM Mike directly a little before your time is up and ask that he cancel the subscription from his end before it is renewed for another year. Just trying to save you any headaches later if you miss the renewal date and get charged if you had assumed it would simply turn off.
How do you do it? I went into paypal and I couldn't find it.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
But my point is the supporters feel like they should have more clout, and I don't think they were aware that its just out of the goodness of their hearts. Now they're frustrated because they feel they're getting mowed over because of sponsors who've given more money and they feel left in the dust.

I'm not trying to tell people not to do it, but those are the concerns and why. That's why I reiterated that this was a business and not a club.
Ben, I sincerely appreciate how you are the voice for the supporters who feel that being a supporter yesterday held enough benefit for them to want to be a supporter but who now feel that it is no longer of benefit to them since they are limited to 6 FS threads per month. I'm not kidding. Since there are only a couple people, including yourself, who are letting us know how they feel could you please elaborate on how they are "getting mowed over because of sponsors"? I would say that limiting a supporter to 6 FS threads and not limiting sponsors is hardly mowing them over. For starters, I don't think there is any single individual who is posting more than 6 FS threads in a given month. So who is this really going to affect? Second, sponsors pay hundreds of dollars to be a sponsor and advertise here. (Yes, for those who have not been paying attention, this is ultimately a business venture :) ) Supporters pay 20 bucks. Do you think that someone who pays $20 vs. someone who pays hundreds should have equal advertising rights? Seriously, Ben, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here but somehow I'm feeling stupid because there must be something I'm missing...

yogoshio

Ben, I sincerely appreciate how you are the voice for the supporters who feel that being a supporter yesterday held enough benefit for them to want to be a supporter but who now feel that it is no longer of benefit to them since they are limited to 6 FS threads per month. I'm not kidding. Since there are only a couple people, including yourself, who are letting us know how they feel could you please elaborate on how they are "getting mowed over because of sponsors"? I would say that limiting a supporter to 6 FS threads and not limiting sponsors is hardly mowing them over. For starters, I don't think there is any single individual who is posting more than 6 FS threads in a given month. So who is this really going to affect? Second, sponsors pay hundreds of dollars to be a sponsor and advertise here. (Yes, for those who have not been paying attention, this is ultimately a business venture :) ) Supporters pay 20 bucks. Do you think that someone who pays $20 vs. someone who pays hundreds should have equal advertising rights? Seriously, Ben, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here but somehow I'm feeling stupid because there must be something I'm missing...
I'm not a supporter. Ask Kieth or the dozens of others who keep trying to talk about it but you ignore it. I'm not going to donate to a business, lol, not unless I'm buying something. But, they keep saying they're upset, and you ask why, and I'm telling you. I don't pretend to know everything they're feeling, but you asked why what I said matters, and I gave you the answer. And MANY supporters have felt this for a while now, and had been voicing it as well, that being a supporter was not all it was panned out to be. Once again, I'm not one, but I hear and see it in the chat, in private conversations, etc. Just because you're not listening doesn't mean it isn't there.

I'm not arguing that what you did is bad, or that they're being treated unfairly, I'm just explaining why they're upset. Which, BTW, has been said a LOT in this thread.

Herbie

Banned
You ever use a free app on your phone and then like it so much that you pay for it to get the full version which is ad free? I think being a paying supporter on CR is pretty much like that. I don't pay for those things often but when a resource is available with as much content and entertainment as I have received from CR I do pay for it to help ensure its continued existence as best I can. If there are dozens of paid supporters that feel like they have not received an adequate return on their investment then we'll just have to continue to look for ways to change that perception. Unfortunately anything that is done for supporters only is also going to cause the unpaying members to complain so it's sort of a tough spot either way. Personally I think the 1000 pm space is worth $20 alone:D

gonebad395

You should ha e left the supportes.s alone no reason to come at us but fro a whining *** sponsors.calling.unfair I hope all supporters realize there is nothing to gain from giving this site 20 bucks a year. Hear me use your money for gas or something that will benefit you because this dosent omg.you.get hidden reef for 20 bucks lmao most of hidden reef is **** talk from sponsors/ supporters about half of you and when you hit 1000 or pay.they erase the bad suit about you.to protect you.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
and when you hit 1000 or pay.they erase the bad suit about you.to protect you.
Why don't you go back and re-read the comment I made about this in HR. Especially the part where I said I was joking about this. Did you think I was joking when I said I was joking? In either case, you've ran your course here and hopefully you feel better now that you've gotten things off your chest.

capysolo

OMG! I'm so sick of people crying about this! If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else. If you don't think it's worth $20, don't be a supporter. If you think you were screwed out of your $20, take it up with Mike. Now quit your crying!!

I think $20 for a chance to win an MP10, is worth it right there, but that's just me...

EyeReef

Hey everyone,
Im really sorry about the outcome of this thread. But to get to the point, supporters are very important to CR. All your concerns are being discussed and will be address. The team and I are working together to get more "perks" for our supporters. Just be patient with us as these perks will not happen over night.
Just know for future reference, the team and I will listen and address everyone's concerns. You don't have to go into attack mode to get our attention. I also appreciate the many compliments from others as well. As it was mentioned before, CR is very young and we are still working on trying to make it an awesome experience for everyone. Thanks again and don't hesitate in anyway to send us a pm with concerns or ways we can improve CR.
Mike

Jep21

OMG! I'm so sick of people crying about this! If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else. If you don't think it's worth $20, don't be a supporter. If you think you were screwed out of your $20, take it up with Mike. Now quit your crying!!

I think $20 for a chance to win an MP10, is worth it right there, but that's just me...
+2 u tell'em bro

m.miller1547

What is $20 anyways... I havnt payed yet because im lazy, but now that i learned you get 1000 msg inbox. Ill be right back...