Poison Dart Frogs - my build and general info

jrpark22000

Premium member
For the first time today, I heard one of the leucs calling!!! Heck of a good way to start off a staycation. Looking forward to them hopefully calling louder and more frequent.

jrpark22000

Premium member
One of the little buggers has been hiding in a hole in the wood for the last week or so. Did some investigation today as the hole is quite hard to see into. The little bugger is a female, she has found a hole in the wood that slopes down and is quite moist on the inside. My guess is it'll be a spot she'll end up laying eggs. With the male calling only after the lights go out now I'll be on the lookout for eggs...

dkm

Adding a coconut hut and petridish will make it easier for you to check if they've a clutch. Also increasing misting will help get the buggers in the mood. Your tank looks good soon you'll be overrun with them, they're very prolific.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Adding a coconut hut and petridish will make it easier for you to check if they've a clutch. Also increasing misting will help get the buggers in the mood. Your tank looks good soon you'll be overrun with them, they're very prolific.
Thanks DKM. They already have a coco hut and for the time being I'll just wait and see what they do. Not sure I want to get into raising tadpoles. With the dry winter season upon us, I already had to increase misting to maintain the humidity level they had in summer. If I get overrun, anyone want a PIF frog or 6 :lol:

Last edited:

3dees

I kept them a few years back. I really hated to give them up but I just got tired of fruit flies all over the house.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I kept them a few years back. I really hated to give them up but I just got tired of fruit flies all over the house.
Heard so many similar stories. I'm still waiting and not sure why, but haven't seen a single fruit fly outside of the terrarium or fly cups.

jrpark22000

Premium member
No good pics, but a bit of an update. The male is back to calling quite regular, including as I type this!

He was always able to be found climbing in the craziest places. A couple weeks back he went missing. After 3-4 days of not seeing him I went on a mission. Tore apart the plants, wood, waterfalls and couldn't find him. Searched the water and nothing... I then moved the room AC unit and caught a glimpse of yellow. He had climbed over the top of the fake back wall, worked his way down to the bottom, then along the fake wall on the right of the tank. Finally wedging himself upside down and pinched in an opening of the egg crate! Some gentle prying and coaxing got him free but he had so little energy, ended up falling into the water and would have drown. I gently placed him onto the terrarium floor and hoped for a good result. Large white spots on his head and back, scrapes on the rear legs and a dent on his back from lying on the egg crate....

That was over two weeks ago. To my utter surprise there are no signs of fungal or bacteria infection in any of the abrasions. The white spot on his head has faded but is still obvious. Still a little thin but back to eating well and now back to regular calling. I'm hoping the little guy passed the bend and will make it. Goes to show how resilient this species is.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Saw one PDF climbing on the glass, another on the wood limb and the third on the vivarium floor, here's a video.

If you click the link, then view in full screen the quality and detail is much better. http://youtu.be/LvkirJYF0fw

[video=youtube;LvkirJYF0fw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvkirJYF0fw[/video]

Awesome setup! We are building a vivarium. Its about 6 months in the making but one it finally is fully up and running we will get pics.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Awesome setup! We are building a vivarium. Its about 6 months in the making but one it finally is fully up and running we will get pics.
Great, no need to wait until it's finished lets see some progress shots. What is going in the vivarium; frogs, crabs, geckos?

It's going to be a red eye tree frog and anole. We were going to do the dart frogs but will prob hold off and see how this one turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk