Smitty's Big Reef (125 Gal)

Smitty

Premium member
Be careful with this Smitty, you may get lots of micro bubbles in the tank with the skimmer's output dumping right by the return. My take would be to find and external skimmer and put it next to the sump rack on it's own stand then have the output led to the first chamber of the sump.

Once it dries, not really man, I'd suggest painting it. Now would also be the best time since the tank isn't running.
I thought about that after I posted earlier, so it’s gonna go in the middle chamber. There’s plenty of room in there. I measured the area, and it’ll be perfect in that space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fish_wiz2

I thought about that after I posted earlier, so it’s gonna go in the middle chamber. There’s plenty of room in there. I measured the area, and it’ll be perfect in that space.

The middle looks tight my man, I always want space around my skimmers as internal skimmers need to be maintained. If the whole body can come out smooth, sure but if not, really consider external. My worst enemy was my skimmer pump that thing needed to be cleaned a lot. Plus if it's tight to remove the cup, I can't imagine spilling a cup of skimmate :p

Smitty

Premium member
The middle looks tight my man, I always want space around my skimmers as internal skimmers need to be maintained. If the whole body can come out smooth, sure but if not, really consider external. My worst enemy was my skimmer pump that thing needed to be cleaned a lot. Plus if it's tight to remove the cup, I can't imagine spilling a cup of skimmate :p
I’ll figure out something. Thanks bro. :)

Smitty

Premium member
I've started making my water....I thought of just buying 125 gals worth of salt water from the lfs, but after considering the costs and lugging around all that water..... I'll just take my time and make it myself. Should only take me a few days. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Smitty

Premium member
Quick update, all the water is made and I've moved all my rocks (without corals attached) from my 60 gal over to the 125 gal. I also moved over the sand from the cube and bought 80lbs more of live sand to add on top. The tank is still cloudy.

Smitty

Premium member
I've moved all my corals to the 30 gal refugium tank for now until the 125 settles.

Smitty

Premium member
I ordered my return pump via Amazon on Friday night, and it came in this morning. Even though tracking said it would be delivered on Monday. I love living down the street from Amazon.

Smitty

Premium member
I got the pump all set up. I originally was gonna run vinyl tubing from pump to the pvc piping, but decided to hard line it all the way thru.

This pump is unbelievably quiet.

Smitty

Premium member
I thought about running the controller for the pump to ther other room where the tank is, but I'll just leave it there for now.

Smitty

Premium member
I got the tank running now, and aqua scaped the rocks.

Smitty

Premium member
And I also tied in the top holding tank to the rest of the system. So now both tanks are feeding into the sump.

Smitty

Premium member
So now I have approx 180 gals in this system. All I have to do now is connect the A.t.o tank to the system, and I'm done......for now.