Spartanman22's 80 DB

Spartanman22

Got a little carried away with Reefwise's eBay sale. Was really after the Rainbow Mille but ended up with a few extras.

Rainbow Mille

And a shroom for the office tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Made my final fish addition yesterday. Little backstory: I used to have a Golden Dwarf Moray eel in my last setup and loved him, my grandpa was also a huge fan. He ended up carpet surfing. I think he jumped out while I had the lid off doing maintenance, and I just didn't notice it. Well for Christmas my grandpa said there needed to be another eel in the tank. So I have been on the look out for GDM. Reefwise had a few pairs but both were already sold when I found them. This week they had Geometric Morays in stock. Similar in appearance, a little more eggshell than yellow in color and their faces are adorned with black dots. So I snagged one up and brought it home.

I made a pvc tunnel that I buried in the sand for him to hide out in. He found t this morning.

And on another topic, last night I finally updated the firmware on my apex hoping it'd fix my fusion problems, but I was wrong. I have my apex connect to my network using a wireless range extender. I can access the Dashboard using the Alex's IP address on my phone, iPad, or laptop, but the Apex still won't link to fusion. It says "No comm". I tried it hard-wired into the router and still no luck. I'm no computer expert but since I'm able to access the Apex through the web browser that leads me to believe it isn't a network issue. Im thinking it may just be a bad unit.

wrasse

Made my final fish addition yesterday. Little backstory: I used to have a Golden Dwarf Moray eel in my last setup and loved him, my grandpa was also a huge fan. He ended up carpet surfing. I think he jumped out while I had the lid off doing maintenance, and I just didn't notice it. Well for Christmas my grandpa said there needed to be another eel in the tank. So I have been on the look out for GDM. Reefwise had a few pairs but both were already sold when I found them. This week they had Geometric Morays in stock. Similar in appearance, a little more eggshell than yellow in color and their faces are adorned with black dots. So I snagged one up and brought it home.

I made a pvc tunnel that I buried in the sand for him to hide out in. He found t this morning.

Cool eel it looks like he has tattoos

Spartanman22

I also started dabbling with some Aquaforest products. Got some AF Phyto Mix for my office softie tank and NP Pro for the SPS reef

anarchy

Sweet looking eet. Been throwing this idea around for awhile. Are you going to leave the pipe visible or use rock rubble to hide it?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Sweet looking eet. Been throwing this idea around for awhile. Are you going to leave the pipe visible or use rock rubble to hide it?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I'll get some rock rubble at some point. It's a bit of an eyesore as is.

Spartanman22

Picked up a 20 long from Pet Supplies Plus and am going to run some experiments using bleach as a treatment for ich.

goatous

I don't have much experience with ich, but the one time I had it I used hypo-salinity (1.009).
The fish didn't seem to mind the treatment and it seems to have worked.
What's your experience with hypo-salinity, that you are thinking Sodium Hypochlorite? Are you thinking doing a dip or extended period at low dose?

Spartanman22

I've not ever treated ich using hypo-salinity before. I've used TTM, copper, and chloroquine phosphate.

There's a thread on R2R documenting some perceived success using hypochlorite to treat for velvet. I'd like to see if the success extends to ich. I'm going to set it up in my lab at work so I can run dosing experiments as well as utilize my microscope for skin scrapes and water analyses.

goatous

That sounds like a fun experiment.
I'm just thinking of what happened when I put bleach in a pool that had been neglected for a few years and it had all sorts of critters living in there. I tried to net them all out but it's tough catching them in pea green water. They really didn't like the bleach... :(

I was really happy with how the hypo-salinity worked out and I'm thinking about it for a QT process when I add new fish. It would be tough to do a bunch of fish or big fish but setting a 20 long and QT with hypo-salinity for new additions is manageable.

Spartanman22

Got ahold of Apex customer service and got a response as to why my Apex won't connect to Fusion. I was told I need to Initialize the unit since it was purchased used. So looks like I know what I'm doing tonight.

Spartanman22

A couple months ago I scored big time finding a C. brunneus and an I describe blue throats Fairy Wrasse for $49 each. Unfortunately I've now lost both. The Brunneus just disappeared. Never found a body, remains, or anything. Today while cleaning/working in my tank (horrible case of cyano currently) I must have spooked the blue throat and he must have jumped without me knowing. Found him dried up behind the stand just now when I noticed him missing.

Spartanman22

Well it's been a while since an update and that's mostly because there's not been anything positive to share. I was able to beat the cyano with a 4 day blackout out. However, shortly after all my coral started going down the drain. I've removed probably about 12-16 dead pieces and the remaining are in pretty poor shape. The cherry on top was this morning my Vectra M1 died randomly while doing a water change.

I have not found any abnormalities in my parameters to help shed some light on why all my coral have been dying. My source water TDS is 2 ppm. Not really sure what the issue was, but regardless it happened and I will now be throwing in the towel. I don't have the money to even begin restocking coral nor the care quite frankly. The frustrating part is I invested so much time, effort, and money into this system trying to design it to allow for easy,automated and controlled care of SPS corals and it's been my least successful setup despite having vastly "superior" equipment choices.

Oh well rant over. I'll be throwing in the towel. Not sure if I'll keep just a fish only (really no interest, coral are what drew me to the hobby) but I'll be posting up whatever I have left shortly here.

fishtank44

Sorry My man to hear that my man.i am on fighting with Red cyano in my tank now too. hopefully every things goes well in your tank.

rockhead

Wow sorry to hear all the bad news. I was just thinking the other day I haven't seen you post in a while I was thinking no news is good news...