Spartanman22's 80 DB

Spartanman22

Dude that floating canopy looks dope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man that was just a quick iPhone shot hopefully I can find some time to get the Nikon out and upload some photos. I did make a screw up with the length of the bolts I needed to put in the LED fixtures. So what you're seeing in the pics are just the T5's. I'll add the LEDs today.

Spartanman22

Nice work on the floating canopy. You should add a small black trim to the top and bottom of it to pull it all together.
I was trying to think of how to do it to make it wrap together a little better with the stand. Ideally I would have done a dark band like on the stand, but the hood isn't that tall and I was worried it'd look too busy. For now it'll stay white until I can come up with something I like.

Spartanman22

It's came out beautiful nice job.
Is it able to adjust up or down?
It doesn't adjust up or down. When I have a house I'll probably do something into the attic with an adjustable lift, but since this is just an apartment I try not to do anything too permanent.

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I was trying to think of how to do it to make it wrap together a little better with the stand. Ideally I would have done a dark band like on the stand, but the hood isn't that tall and I was worried it'd look too busy. For now it'll stay white until I can come up with something I like.

Use either flat stock flish with the bottom and top painted blue or use like 1" decorative moulding flush with the top and bottom edges.

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
You live close to me, want me to throw something together for you, i have scrap here that will work if you give me measurements, you paint it though.

Spartanman22

Finally got all the lights hung. Also got my third MP40 in this week, hopefully I can get that setup soon.

Now the only real projects are to figure out why fusion won't work and chip away at my bubble algae problem.

Spartanman22

Such a great fish selection

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Thanks man I'm quite happy with it. The angel may need to go back as he quarrels with the yellow tang, but it's only been 1.5 weeks so we'll see if it settles down. Yellow tang was a bday gift from the wife so there's no way I can get rid of him, unfortunately cause I'd much rather have angels than tangs!

Spartanman22

wow buddy .. your fish look awesome .. and your tank looks dope :)

what puffer is this ? not reefsafe i guess right ?

View attachment 19698
I think they're a bit of a risk with smaller inverts, but I only have jumbo astreas, 1 giant blue leg hermit, and a large cleaner shrimp. I imagine he might go after smaller snails and hermits, but he's been perfectly safe with all my SPS. Super personable too I can hand feed this guy.

Spartanman22

I've know that my tank has had Ich, despite QT'ing, but it has always been well managed with good feedings, filter socks, and a UV. The new angel quarrels with the yellow tang and he has had spots visible for the past few days now. No other fish showing spots. Normally a fish will have a couple spots pop up on very rare occasion and then they go away, but this is in greater number and has remained longer.

So, with that being said I am going to experiment with an intank treatment using bleach.

Yes I said bleach, and no I have not lost my mind! Setting up a QT system and treating all fish just isn't much of an option. My wife would not like another tank and plus I would need a pretty large QT to treat all of these fish. I am very familiar with chlorine chemistry due to its application in my field of work. There is a whole thread on R2R discussing the use of bleach as an intank treatment option for velvet. I'd like to see if it works for ich. Participants noticed no ill effects on coral and in many cases improved color from coral.

I am going to collect some water samples and first confirm that ich is present using a microscope at work. I'll do some experimentation with dosing limits on ich samples to see it's efficiency.

I'll document my progress in here as I go along.

anarchy

I've know that my tank has had Ich, despite QT'ing, but it has always been well managed with good feedings, filter socks, and a UV. The new angel quarrels with the yellow tang and he has had spots visible for the past few days now. No other fish showing spots. Normally a fish will have a couple spots pop up on very rare occasion and then they go away, but this is in greater number and has remained longer.

So, with that being said I am going to experiment with an intank treatment using bleach.

Yes I said bleach, and no I have not lost my mind! Setting up a QT system and treating all fish just isn't much of an option. My wife would not like another tank and plus I would need a pretty large QT to treat all of these fish. I am very familiar with chlorine chemistry due to its application in my field of work. There is a whole thread on R2R discussing the use of bleach as an intank treatment option for velvet. I'd like to see if it works for ich. Participants noticed no ill effects on coral and in many cases improved color from coral.

I am going to collect some water samples and first confirm that ich is present using a microscope at work. I'll do some experimentation with dosing limits on ich samples to see it's efficiency.

I'll document my progress in here as I go along.

The mad scientist at work! Well best of luck and ill be following along

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk