Spartanman22's 80 DB

#theMatrix

Good luck.

But if you want to test something. Find a fish with ich and treat away? Does the bleach kill or treat what stages of the parasite?

Spartanman22

Good luck.

But if you want to test something. Find a fish with ich and treat away? Does the bleach kill or treat what stages of the parasite?
To be honest I'm not sure which stages of the parasite it kills. This is something I'm hoping I can confirm with some testing. I plan to use a microscope and set up different chlorine dilutions to determine what concentrations are effective against the free-swimming stage. I'd need skin scrapes to determine concentration levels for the encysted stage. That may be harder to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Bleach holey crap i thought i was extreme lol
Haha no risk no reward! Ironically bleach is probably already present in many of our aquariums. Saltwater when applied with a low voltage will hydrolyze and form sodium hypochlorite. So if you've had stray voltage you also have low concentrations of bleach.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Mad scientist lol ?*. You did a freaking first rate job on that canopy I'm super impressed man! Also you are a total nut with that fish selection, I was thinking about adding a Valentini puffer myself but plan on doing some more research before I pull the trigger. And bleach?! Man that's a new one but makes sense, my logic would say it helps or eliminates the free swimming form of the parasite as it would have to get into some high concentrations in the fishs blood in order to kill that stage. I'm curious as to what effect adding bleach to your system will have on your biofilter and inverts like copepods and amphipods please keep us updated on their status as well, I see you have a mandarin so hopefully it has little effect on that population

Spartanman22

Mad scientist lol *. You did a freaking first rate job on that canopy I'm super impressed man! Also you are a total nut with that fish selection, I was thinking about adding a Valentini puffer myself but plan on doing some more research before I pull the trigger. And bleach?! Man that's a new one but makes sense, my logic would say it helps or eliminates the free swimming form of the parasite as it would have to get into some high concentrations in the fishs blood in order to kill that stage. I'm curious as to what effect adding bleach to your system will have on your biofilter and inverts like copepods and amphipods please keep us updated on their status as well, I see you have a mandarin so hopefully it has little effect on that population

Haha the Valentini is awesome I haven't had any issues with him. As far as the bleach goes it's some uncharted territory for sure, but I'm willing to give it a go. I'll start with super low concentration. The thread on R2R had some promising results. But first on want to confirm that ich is actually present then I'll go from there. I'd imagine it's attacking the free-swimming stage. The encysted stage is just too well protected.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Haha the Valentini is awesome I haven't had any issues with him. As far as the bleach goes it's some uncharted territory for sure, but I'm willing to give it a go. I'll start with super low concentration. The thread on R2R had some promising results. But first on want to confirm that ich is actually present then I'll go from there. I'd imagine it's attacking the free-swimming stage. The encysted stage is just too well protected.

Def interesting for sure. U should probably treat for at least 8 weeks. As I'm sure you know, this bleach idea will only prevent re-infection, if it does in fact only kill one stage of ichs life cycle (i.e. The free swimming form). This matters because even though only one of your fish is showing signs of ich they most likely all have it, you just can't see it on them yet. So you need to let all of the ich run its course until it reaches the stage that you are treating/attacking with the bleach. Given that I believe it takes 8 weeks for ich to finish its life cycle that means you need to treat with bleach for at least 8 weeks since all 10 plus of your fish will have the ich at a different stage in its life cycle and the bleach is only capable of killing it at a certain point in that cycle. Lol if that makes any sense. I dunno how you feel about this, but dosing bleach into your tank for 8 weeks gives me the heebie jeebies and it's not even my tank lol. Good luck man I will be following along for sure. You got some balls bro!

Spartanman22

Got my third MP40 hooked up last night. Project for this weekend is to figure out why fusion won't work.

anarchy

Did you restart your apex? When my fusion stops working i restart the apex and when it reboots then I can connect to fusion again

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Did you restart your apex? When my fusion stops working i restart the apex and when it reboots then I can connect to fusion again

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I've tried that before. It will give me a token, I type that token into the app, and then it goes to link. After a few minutes it will fail and the apex tab on my Apex's webpage will say "communication failure". I tried all of the suggestions from Apex's troubleshooting guide on Fusion setup, but nothing worked.

My Apex is due for a firmware update so I'm going to do that this weekend and see if it works.

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
I would do the update before trying anything else, in fact do the update twice because sometimes it says success but in fact it wasn't. If you are hardlined in then you only need to do it once.

Spartanman22

I would do the update before trying anything else, in fact do the update twice because sometimes it says success but in fact it wasn't. If you are hardlined in then you only need to do it once.
I'm not hardwired in. I'm connected using a NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi range extender. I can plug it into my router to do the update though, and that's what I plan on doing.

Spartanman22

Came home today to several of my non-acro SPS looking poorly including my RR Nauti-Spiral, Elkhorn Monti, Forest Fire Digi. Tested all parameters and got the following:

Alk: 8.15
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1230
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 78.3
pH: 8.18
Nitrate 5-10

Nothing seems out of character. All and calcium have been steady for weeks/months. The only thing I can think of is the addition of the T5's and getting that third OR fixture back up after 4 weeks absence has resulted in a light shock. So, I turned down the intensity on all the LEDs for the time being.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Came home today to several of my non-acro SPS looking poorly including my RR Nauti-Spiral, Elkhorn Monti, Forest Fire Digi. Tested all parameters and got the following:

Nitrate 5-10

Nothing seems out of character. All and calcium have been steady for weeks/months. The only thing I can think of is the addition of the T5's and getting that third OR fixture back up after 4 weeks absence has resulted in a light shock. So, I turned down the intensity on all the LEDs for the time being.

I've been having precisely this problem for a few months. Acros look great, but monti/digis look terrible. For some reason, after a water change the look great for a few days. It seems my system has too little or too much of something that a water change temporarily fixes. Do a water change an let me know if you have similar results.

madjoe

Premium member

Nitrate 5-10

Welcome to my world my tank for the last few yrs got to a point where when my acros look great but not one monti does . I kid u not i had a forestfire digi for a yr looked like poop i gave it to a buddy next day loked great i took piece back and poop next day lol

Spartanman22

I've been having precisely this problem for a few months. Acros look great, but monti/digis look terrible. For some reason, after a water change the look great for a few days. It seems my system has too little or too much of something that a water change temporarily fixes. Do a water change an let me know if you have similar results.
I got some mixed up tonight. I'll do a change in the morning. Hopefully that helps.

Spartanman22

Welcome to my world my tank for the last few yrs got to a point where when my acros look great but not one monti does . I kid u not i had a forestfire digi for a yr looked like poop i gave it to a buddy next day loked great i took piece back and poop next day lol
I hear ya man there's just some coral that every reefer can't get to live regardless of what they do. It's very frustrating!

madjoe

Premium member
I hear ya man there's just some coral that every reefer can't get to live regardless of what they do. It's very frustrating!

Yea it is theres only a few monties I actually like i have a bubble gum digi the colors r awsome but pe sucks and i had aqua man at my buddies but i think he lost it before i could get it back . In the end i didnt care to much since i knew it look like crap in my tank any way lol

Rcunning8

Premium member

Mines an acanthophylia and it breaks my heart because I have tried five of them and all eventually die, o and did i mention it's my all time favorite coral?!

Spartanman22

Well not sure what the cause was but all my montis seem to have stabilized. Because of the issues with them I'd been postponing starting the bleach dosing.

I'll likely make my first dose Friday morning since I'll be off of work and able to keep an eye on the tank.