Spartanman22's Fluval M90

Spartanman22

For my birthday my wife got me a new upgraded wireless camera for the tank. I travel somewhat regularly for work. So it’s good to be able to keep an eye on the tank. My previous camera didn’t have optical zoom, but this one does and it’s pretty good!

Enough for me to tell if things are off with the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockhead

I have a couple also around the house , one for the front room where my tank is and another that watches outside the house. I think I paid 45 ea for them and have a subscription for a couple bucks a month for a 7 day recording service that I can go back 7 days and watch all Video. Oh and my kids hate them?

Spartanman22

I have a couple also around the house , one for the front room where my tank is and another that watches outside the house. I think I paid 45 ea for them and have a subscription for a couple bucks a month for a 7 day recording service that I can go back 7 days and watch all Video. Oh and my kids hate them?
Haha very nice! I’d like to add some more. I had one previously but it was only a digital zoom not an optical zoom. I have my camera setup on the bookshelf across the room so it’s hidden and looks nice. Now I can zoom in and actually see the tank up close as opposed to a zoomed out image 10’ away.

Spartanman22

Despite installing the CO2 scrubber, my pH is still 7.6-7.8. Going to recalibrate the probe to make sure it’s good, but will then try to get the inlet to the scrubber pulling from outside.

Spartanman22

Any one know of any local acrylic workers? Would like to get a custom tray made for one of the rear portions of my M90.

Spartanman22

Well ATO flit got stuck in the open position again conveniently right after I filled up my 5 gallon ATO . No consequences other than soaking my carpet.

I guess it’s time I get around to hooking up the Avast ATO. I’m having Octo Aquatics make me a custom basket to hold 3 8x8x1 marine pure blocks. This should free up some space in my filtration compartment while increasing surface area for microbial growth.

Also came up with an idea to DIY my ClearView lid to make it fit. For those of you unaware I had a clearview lid made and it was built to the wrong dimensions. They curved all attempts at contacting them and I eventually gave up. But I think I can DIY it and modify it to fit. I’ll post photos of my attempts. It’s either going to be a success or a huge wast of $225!!

ultimatemj

make me a custom basket to hold 3 8x8x1 marine pure blocks. This should free up some space in my filtration compartment while increasing surface area for microbial growth.
Tank looks great -

IMO - 3 blocks is overkill - I overdid it with a similar product (400g amount of media on a 75g system) and once it got going I struggled to keep any N03...starved a bunch of corals...and have battled a P04/N03 imbalances. For your size tank 1 is more than enough. Save your money and avoid the headaches.

2 cents~

Spartanman22

Tank looks great -

IMO - 3 blocks is overkill - I overdid it with a similar product (400g amount of media on a 75g system) and once it got going I struggled to keep any N03...starved a bunch of corals...and have battled a P04/N03 imbalances. For your size tank 1 is more than enough. Save your money and avoid the headaches.

2 cents~
Well already bought em but can always return them. Good news is they don’t go bad so I can always keep them in the closet for someday when I successfully convince my wife to let me upgrade

Spartanman22

I went with three because the third compartment is presently packed with LR rubble. I plan to remove all that and didn’t want to remove too much

ultimatemj

With the way your tank is looking, I wouldn't fret at a bit over taking a cubic foot of LR rubble out of the sump. It's only providing a small percentage of bio-capacity that 1 block will provide. It's really non-intuitive...

Spartanman22

With the way your tank is looking, I wouldn't fret at a bit over taking a cubic foot of LR rubble out of the sump. It's only providing a small percentage of bio-capacity that 1 block will provide. It's really non-intuitive...
Appreciate the compliments! The tank is definitely in one of its better stages. Now if only I could find some emeralds that eat bubble algae! I’ll start with one, and either return the other two or just hang onto them.

Spartanman22

Clowns are back to laying regularly. Their last batch of eggs hatched yesterday, and there’s already a new batch today.

ultimatemj

Regarding the bubble algae, in a tank this size, I would definitely do multiple waves of manual removal before risking a "rouge crab". It's fairly easy to pick them loose and siphon them out...and don't fret over "popping them will spread them". It's way overstated...besides don't crabs or fish eating them "pop them" lol. Just siphon the pieces as best you can. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/

Regarding crabs, you just don't know if they will (i.e. eat sps) or not, and they can be hard to get out! I'm not saying it's a high risk that you will get one that eats coral, just saying it is a real risk.

Spartanman22

Regarding the bubble algae, in a tank this size, I would definitely do multiple waves of manual removal before risking a "rouge crab". It's fairly easy to pick them loose and siphon them out...and don't fret over "popping them will spread them". It's way overstated...besides don't crabs or fish eating them "pop them" lol. Just siphon the pieces as best you can. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/

Regarding crabs, you just don't know if they will (i.e. eat sps) or not, and they can be hard to get out! I'm not saying it's a high risk that you will get one that eats coral, just saying it is a real risk.
I’m on the manual removal path now, it just gets annoying! I’m having a hard time getting to several spots as the SPS grow in, and the coral are sick of my hands smashing into them!

I’ve never bought into the whole pooping them spreads spores for the exact example you just gave. It was easier when I didn’t have an AIO because I’d just siphon into my filter sock in my sump. Now it’s more of a process or a full water change.

Spartanman22

Put my ClearView Lid under the knife last night, and I now finally have the lid I originally requested.