Spartanman22's Fluval M90

Spartanman22

Let me know when you wanna meet up for that lid
I may not need it now that AA screwed up my lid order. I emailed them with my complaint, we'll see what they come back with, but as is the lid wouldn't work because the screen top extends over the filtration compartment. I'll let you know though I appreciate it! And I apologize for not responding before but I do still have the RR Nauti Spiral chunk if you'd like it still.

xj_matt

Premium member
Kool Kool just let me know, as 2nd yes I would still like to grab that from you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Well haven't posted in a while because the tank sucks right now. Having all sorts of issues and have been traveling a lot for work lately so things are getting out of hand. Noticed red bugs badly the other day. Not sure where they came from because I never had them in the 80 and didn't add anything since the move.

Fortunately I have a new puppy so have interceptor on hand. Try and see if that works, but I leave next week again for another week long business trip. Thinking it may need to just be fish only for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Well long time no post. My move in May and the setup of this tank has been a nightmare. I lost almost every piece of SPS I transferred from my last setup to this one. When I setup the new tank I didn't realize that I should probably adjust the ghl doser from a 100 gallon system to a 25 gallon system. Needless to say all quadrupled.

I was able to save about four pieces, one of which was my Walt Disney (at least one positive). Once I realized my stupidity, I adjust the doser and tried to get things back to normal. During this process I also noticed red bugs galore on all the SPS I had left. Not sure where they came from as there were none in my previous setup and I didn't add anything new since moving. So, I dipped aggressively with Bayer and have been red bug free for the past month.

Things are finally settling down. I hated the bare bottom look so I added sand. I'm still having some cyano issues, which I'm hoping is due to the recent sand issues. I'm hoping regular water changes, carbon, and gfo will help combat it. Other than that the SPS I was able to save seem to be recovering and coloring up nicely. So much so that I placed an order with ASD during their most recent sale. So hopefully things go well.

In other news, I tried adding jack to my office tank's top-off but the softies did not respond well. Things are a bit deflated but all in all doing pretty well. I also added the smallest eel I've ever seen - 5" jeweled moray.

Spartanman22

ASD order came in and everything's looking good, just need to color up a bit. Unfortunately I've had some cyano issues. I think it's largely due to the fact that the tank sits next to the back door and gets a lot of morning sun. So, I'll be moving the tank into the office shortly.

I've also decided to go with Aquaforest's 3 part dosing system. I'm going to finish up my current batch of BRS Alk and calcium and then make the switch.

Spartanman22

Got a good video of my baby jeweled moray eating today. He's in my office nano, and just to put his size in perspective that's a pipette not a turkey baster!

Spartanman22

Wow long time no post! Life’s been a rollercoaster lately and my tanks have certainly reflected the craziness! So since my last post in September the tank really started to settle down and look good. My ASD SPS started to encrust and grow, I added a beefy cleanup crew and had beautiful white sand for a while.

Well that all ended around October/November when my wife and I bought our first home. I have now moved a tank 3 times in less than 1 year . Due to all the chaos of a new home, the tank was moved, plugged in, and left alone until this past week. Most everything is fine, but not great. Nothing really grew and colors browned, but no real losses. Only real negatives are a barrage of bubble algae and a growing population of apstasia. I added 6 emeralds for the bubble algae a few weeks ago but haven’t noticed any reduction. I also added three peppermint shrimp, but I’m pretty sure my geometric moray ate them all that first night.

So I may be stuck with having to manually inject kalk paste or boiling water into them. Downside is there are a lot that are just so tiny I won’t be able to hit them with a needle.

I have a bicolor blenny that has proven to be a nipper. I had finally caught him when I moved. I had a specimen container where he was staying until I could drop him off the next day. My father-in-law was over, walks over to the tank, and smashes the tank glass pointing at the blenny “ooh what’s that, why’s he in there?!”. The blenny proceeded to then jump out of the specimen container and back into the display with what I imagine were two middle fingers directed right at me.

So now I’m back on the hunt. The problem is I installed a pvc system under the sand for the eel, and he will hide in there. So even draining the tank may not be enough.

I went to town cleaning and placing SPS yesterday. Did a water change, will do another tonight and hopefully get some photos. In the mean time here’s some shots of my office tank, which has been doing very well.

Last edited: