Spartanman22's Fluval M90

Spartanman22

Despite acros continuing to color up and encrust, the tank still looks subpar due to frustrating cyano. But it seems to be getting better. Managed to swap out my old return (Sicce 0.5) with a Jabeo DCS-2000. Huge difference! The Jabeo, at its lowest setting, is pulling more than the old Sicce 0.5. I’m now able to pull enough flow through the filtration compartment to use my InTank media basket without developing a surface skim in the display. I’m hoping the improved flow helps my chaeto too.

Finally got all system operational and organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Despite SPS doing very well, I’m still not fully happy with the tank. So, last night I started tackling all the uglies that are plaguing my tank. I dosed 800 mg of flucanozol to hopefully eradicate any bryopsis. I didn’t have a lot, but one spot would grow a thick patch.

I also started a 3-day blackout to get rid of some lingering cyano. I ran some tests last week. And had to bump up the alk a bit, but noticed my magnesium was a bit low, and phosphorus high at 1.05 ppm. So I ramped up magnesium, hoping that will take care of the bubble algae and added a generous serving of gfo to the sump.

Spartanman22

Finally got the camera out to try and take some halfway decent photos and the battery was dead. So, hoping to spend some time with the camera tonight.

I tested phosphates again last night and they’re at 0.05 ppm and nitrates at 0.2 mg/l. So pretty happy with those numbers, but despite the low nutrient levels I still have a lot of bubble algae and some tuft/moss-like algae. Im hoping slow increases in magnesium levels will help eliminate it, along with bolstering my coraline growth on the rocks (grows great on the glass).

I’m about 5 days in with the flucanozol treatment. Haven’t noticed any major changes yet. I only had one big chunk of it and I plucked all that immediately before starting the treatment. So all that’s in there are small roots and little patches. Kinda hard to track any changes yet, but hopefully it’ll eliminate over the next 9-10 days.

tinman

man Adam .. i should have you come over one day and organize my under the cabinet stuff haha ..

Mpdan

Premium member
Despite SPS doing very well, I’m still not fully happy with the tank. So, last night I started tackling all the uglies that are plaguing my tank. I dosed 800 mg of flucanozol to hopefully eradicate any bryopsis. I didn’t have a lot, but one spot would grow a thick patch.

I also started a 3-day blackout to get rid of some lingering cyano. I ran some tests last week. And had to bump up the alk a bit, but noticed my magnesium was a bit low, and phosphorus high at 1.05 ppm. So I ramped up magnesium, hoping that will take care of the bubble algae and added a generous serving of gfo to the sump.

Where did you get the flucanozol? Is it working for you?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

man Adam .. i should have you come over one day and organize my under the cabinet stuff haha ..
Haha that’s what happens when you’re OCD man! This was my previous 80 gallon:

But hey I’d rather have SPS with colors like yours than a beat cabinet any day!

Spartanman22

Where did you get the flucanozol? Is it working for you?

I purchased Reef Flux from Bulk Reef Supply. Hard to tell if it’s done anything yet. Only been 4-5 days so far, and I plucked all the big stuff before dosing in the hopes that it would help speed up the process. I’ll keep tabs on it here. I dosed on the low side to be safe. From what I read it said to target a concentration between 5-20 mg/l. I targeted 5 mg/l to be safe. So if no real change I’ll increase the concentration.

Mpdan

Premium member
I purchased Reef Flux from Bulk Reef Supply. Hard to tell if it’s done anything yet. Only been 4-5 days so far, and I plucked all the big stuff before dosing in the hopes that it would help speed up the process. I’ll keep tabs on it here. I dosed on the low side to be safe. From what I read it said to target a concentration between 5-20 mg/l. I targeted 5 mg/l to be safe. So if no real change I’ll increase the concentration.

Cool thanks I am going to order also and give it a try.

Bommie

Despite acros continuing to color up and encrust, the tank still looks subpar due to frustrating cyano. But it seems to be getting better. Managed to swap out my old return (Sicce 0.5) with a Jabeo DCS-2000. Huge difference! The Jabeo, at its lowest setting, is pulling more than the old Sicce 0.5. I’m now able to pull enough flow through the filtration compartment to use my InTank media basket without developing a surface skim in the display. I’m hoping the improved flow helps my chaeto too.

Finally got all system operational and organized.

Nice and neat!

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Bommie

Haha that’s what happens when you’re OCD man! This was my previous 80 gallon:

But hey I’d rather have SPS with colors like yours than a beat cabinet any day!

Amazing sump setup! Personally I like keeping my sump area clean too. Looks better and why not show it off after spending so much $$$$.

Spartanman22

Amazing sump setup! Personally I like keeping my sump area clean too. Looks better and why not show it off after spending so much $$$$.

Agreed! I think my ideal setup would be an industrial look with a powder coated steak stand left bare and then a nice fancy sump all open for everyone to see! However my wife would never go for that. Someday when I’ve got a basement and a man cave, but then again I’m hoping when that day comes I’ll have a whole dedicated fish room, gotta dream big!

Spartanman22

WD is nearly ready for some pruning. It has been taking off lately.

This no name is really starting to shine and if I can ever figure out how to use my Nikon I can get some good pictures. Until then here’s an iPhone shot:

Spartanman22

How do you guys deal with apstasia? I’ve got a bad case of it. The big ones are easy enough to get rid of but I’m noticing a ton of really tiny ones popping up. I can’t use peppermints because my geometric moray eats them

Mjl714

Maybe the Peppermints would do some real damage to the aptasia, before the eel hunts them down?

Spartanman22

I’ve tried adding peppermints but they don’t last more than 2-3 days and within that time they don’t make enough of a dent. I think I may need to try and find some berghia nudibranchs locally. Or I may need to find a new home for the eel. He’s gotten bigger than anticipated and would probably appreciate a larger tank.

rockhead

I’ve tried adding peppermints but they don’t last more than 2-3 days and within that time they don’t make enough of a dent. I think I may need to try and find some berghia nudibranchs locally. Or I may need to find a new home for the eel. He’s gotten bigger than anticipated and would probably appreciate a larger tank.

I’ll take him shoot me a text if you serious.

rockhead

How do you guys deal with apstasia? I’ve got a bad case of it. The big ones are easy enough to get rid of but I’m noticing a ton of really tiny ones popping up. I can’t use peppermints because my geometric moray eats them

Also for the apstasia I’ve always mixed a paste of kalk and injected them in there mouth a tiny bit , it’s work for me and cheap may be worth a shot

Spartanman22

Reefing tip of the day: read the instructions on your actual bottle, not the ones on the vendors site!

I use AquaForest balling solutions for dosing, and due to some nuisance algae issues, and lack of coraline growth on the rock, I wanted to start ramping up magnesium. I made this decision at work, so I went on BRS’s website and looked up which component was the magnesium supplement (AF’s three part balling system is labeled component 1+, component 2+, and component 3+).

I bought AF supplements from BRS less than a year ago, and per their website magnesium can be raised with component 3+. So over the last week I was ramping up component 3+ on my doser. As the week went on magnesium didn’t change at all. I had increased the dosage by almost 4x per dose by the end of the week. After a week of no change I finally looked at my bottle and realized AF must have changed their blends slightly since I purchased. Per BRS’s website component 1+ raises alk, component 2+ raises calcium and trace elements, and component 3+ raises magnesium and trace elements. Per my actual bottles, component 1+ raises alk, component 2+ raises calcium and magnesium, and component 3+ raises trace elements.

So long story short, AquaForest adjusted their formula slightly since I purchased, and my laziness resulted in my dumping a bunch of trace elements in an attempt to raise magnesium. I only had one loss, a no name small frag, and the loss didn’t occur until after I caught my mistake and dialed back the dosing of component 3+.

Lesson learned: read your bottle!

Bought some AquaForest Magnesium Plus to help boost my magnesium levels. Also am going to give Vibrant a try. I’ve got a decent amount of bubble algae and people have been singing Vibrants praises with removing pesky algae, so we shall see.