Spartanman22's Fluval M90

rockhead

Well it’s been 4 months since adding berghia nudis and have noticed no impact on aiptasia. Nor have I seen the nudis since adding. I’ve got about 5 peppermints that don’t touch it, and just added a matted filefish who hasn’t shown any interest yet. Picked up a bottle of aiptasia-x this week as a last resort, but may be looking at a fresh start...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No not again

Spartanman22

No not again
I don’t think the Berghias made it. I saw them at night for a few weeks after introducing them, but haven’t seen anything recently. The number of aiptasia does seem to be down a bit but it’s hard to tell. Good news is I did see the file fish take a bite out of one yesterday. Not sure if he was going after the aiptasia or trying to get a chunk of mysis that floated into one.

I’m tempted to try some nudis again but not sure if it’s worth it. May try and add 10 adults and section off the tank. Or keep them in an acclimation box with small pieces of aiptasia until they are settled well.

Despite the aiptasia the tanks doing really well. Unfortunately the sps are having a hard time encrusting because their bases are surrounded by the pests, but they are growing. I had an all drop recently and after removing the eel, my nutrient supply plummeted. So now that I’ve got more fish and better nutrient input things are returning back to normal coloration.

One of these days I’ll stop being lazy and learn to use my wife’s DSLR and Lightroom. Until then, more iPhone pictures.

goatous

Sorry about your battle with aiptasia, they are persistent, aren’t they?!

I was hoping the Berghias would do the trick for you; I’m considering setting up a tank just to farm them to a large enough number to overwhelm the aiptasia in my tank…

I have a filefish that has no problem going after the aiptasia, but also grazes on the LPS and Zoas as soon as the aiptasia gets sparse, but not eradicated. Even with the filefish fat from eating frozen 2X a day, he still felt the need to pick at the LPS and zoa, ended up having to put him in the fuge. Probably would work well in a dedicated SPS tank.

Aiptasia X will take care of it, temporarily, but it will come right back.

No good answers for the Aiptasia.

cment

Well it’s been 4 months since adding berghia nudis and have noticed no impact on aiptasia. Nor have I seen the nudis since adding. I’ve got about 5 peppermints that don’t touch it, and just added a matted filefish who hasn’t shown any interest yet. Picked up a bottle of aiptasia-x this week as a last resort, but may be looking at a fresh start...

Do you still have the peppermints in the tank with the nudis? If so, they need to be removed as they will eat the nudis...

Spartanman22

Sorry about your battle with aiptasia, they are persistent, aren’t they?!

I was hoping the Berghias would do the trick for you; I’m considering setting up a tank just to farm them to a large enough number to overwhelm the aiptasia in my tank…

I have a filefish that has no problem going after the aiptasia, but also grazes on the LPS and Zoas as soon as the aiptasia gets sparse, but not eradicated. Even with the filefish fat from eating frozen 2X a day, he still felt the need to pick at the LPS and zoa, ended up having to put him in the fuge. Probably would work well in a dedicated SPS tank.

Aiptasia X will take care of it, temporarily, but it will come right back.

No good answers for the Aiptasia.
Fortunately I don’t have any softies or LPS really. There’s a captain America play colony and a torch, but if he starts nipping I’ll move those to my softie tank.

Spartanman22

Do you still have the peppermints in the tank with the nudis? If so, they need to be removed as they will eat the nudis...
I do now. I added the berghias and after about two months of no sign of them, or reduction in aiptasia, I called it quits and added the peppermints.

Spartanman22

As far as I can tell nothing. I may try to just go overboard and add like 15 of them. I think part of the problem is I feed well to keep my few fish fat and happy. I think the peppermints are getting too much food and not enticed into eating the aiptasia.

lolgranny

As far as I can tell nothing. I may try to just go overboard and add like 15 of them. I think part of the problem is I feed well to keep my few fish fat and happy. I think the peppermints are getting too much food and not enticed into eating the aiptasia.
Try a copper band? Peps did nothing for me either so I got filefish and a copperband. Haven’t seen one in years

GugsJr

TeamCR
They issue with peppermint shrimp is that there ate 3 types of shrimp called peppermint.

2 types will not eat aptasia and only 1 will. So unless you go in person and look at them you dont always get the right ones.

The one on your left is the one you want.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
your tank looks amazing! That flameback angel not nipping? Aiptasia X worked for me before to control aiptasia but I only had 3 or 4 to deal with and they were in plain sight.

you can try a small CBB and sell it afterwards (i will buy it off you =P). the hard part is finding a healthy CBB.

Spartanman22

your tank looks amazing! That flameback angel not nipping? Aiptasia X worked for me before to control aiptasia but I only had 3 or 4 to deal with and they were in plain sight.

you can try a small CBB and sell it afterwards (i will buy it off you =P). the hard part is finding a healthy CBB.
Thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately I did a water change Tuesday night and by Wednesday afternoon all montipora type sps were dead/dying. All acros still look fine, full PE and color. I’ve lost a montipora undata piece, rainbow style colony, a RR Nauti Spiral colony is totally bleached but still has PE so some hope, my digitata look stressed but still alive.

No idea what happened. Did a 5 gallon water change and nothing else. Maybe something got into the water I prepared. Really a shame because aside from the aiptasia the tank was turning a corner and starting to explode. Always seems to go that way for me. Whenever I’m on the cusp of a tank taking off, something happens to derail things.

madjoe

Premium member
Thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately I did a water change Tuesday night and by Wednesday afternoon all montipora type sps were dead/dying. All acros still look fine, full PE and color. I’ve lost a montipora undata piece, rainbow style colony, a RR Nauti Spiral colony is totally bleached but still has PE so some hope, my digitata look stressed but still alive.

No idea what happened. Did a 5 gallon water change and nothing else. Maybe something got into the water I prepared. Really a shame because aside from the aiptasia the tank was turning a corner and starting to explode. Always seems to go that way for me. Whenever I’m on the cusp of a tank taking off, something happens to derail things.

Hopefully everything settles down that sucks man

Spartanman22

Still no clue what the deal was. All montipora type sps are either dead or decrepit. All acros are totally unfazed. Very weird. All parameters checked out. Nothing was out of range. Only change was doing a 5 gallon water change. Good news is it frees up some real-estate, but I’m very bummed about loose my RR nauti spiral colony. That thing glowed and was growing in nicely. If anyone has some let me know, I’d like to buy a decent sized chunk or can trade stuff.

Hoping my ASD bubble gum digits pulls through.

Spartanman22

Little positivity today, was finally able to get WiFi working on my ghl doser 2 again. Some times it’s the little things..

Spartanman22

My office tank has been on cruise control for a while now. I work at a wastewater plant, and this tank is fueled by our facility’s effluent.

Spartanman22

Just picked up an ATI dimmable sunpower 4x39w unit. So going to try that out and then decide to keep the LEDs or ditch for T5.

Spartanman22

Spent some time with the camera tonight. Still not really sure what I am doing. Took maybe 100 photos and came out with a couple that weren't total trash. LED's make top downs very difficult. I need a photobox. I've got some 3/4" acrylic laying around maybe I'll put one together. Anyways here are the two shots I don't think totally suck.