Spartanman22's Fluval M90

Spartanman22

Due to a losing battle with cyano, resulting in a mini-crash, and an upcoming move I have decided to retire the 80 gallon setup. I designed and setup that system with the mindset that my wife and I would be at our current apartment until we were prepared to purchase a home (3-5 years). However, life had different plans and we will now be moving. So, I will be downgrading into a Fluval M90. I was very close to just calling it quits entirely for a while, but I just couldn't walk away from my clowns and gig. I've had both for almost 5 years now, and they are a breeding pair. Since I'm keeping the nem and clowns I might as well keep all the SPS that survived the crash as well! This setup will be either in the dining area or living room area of our new condo. My goals for this system are simplicity and for it to look like a piece of furniture. Here's a breakdown of the system:

• Tank: Fluval M90 tank and stand
  • Filtration: Tunze DOC 9004 Comline Skimmer
  • Brains: Apex Gold w/ autofeeder, wxm, and ALD
  • Flow: EcoTech Marine MP10wQD x 2
  • Lighting: ReefBreeders Photon V2
  • Dosing: GHL Profilux Doser 2
  • Miscellaneous: Finnex Heater, Magnafuge Refugium Light, Artfully Acrylic Screen Top, Sicce return pump, and InTank Media Basket

This AIO has four chambers. The first will house the InTank Media Basket, second is about 4"x10" and will house chaeto, third is about the same at 4"x10" and will house marinepure blocks, and the last chamber will house the skimmer, heater, and ATO (apex). Hopefully I can get some pictures of my progress thus far tonight. I hate to see the 80 go, but hopefully I can find success with this new setup. Unfortunately just as I'm about to start tearing down the 80, the cyano starts receeding and the surviving acros are starting to really color up and look good again.

Spartanman22

always been a fan of the Fluval M90 for the price. good luck with the new tank.
I like it a lot. I was looking at an IM Nuvo 20 and just was not pleased with the display volume nor the filtration space. The M90 is a decent sized display and the filtration sections are quite large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinman

hey buddy

good luck with the new build .. knowing you its gonna be an awesome Build :)

keep the pics comming :)

Spartanman22

Got some of the final pieces in today. All I'm still waiting on is the Artfully Acrylic screen top and the Reef Breeders Photon V2.

Spartanman22

Well they said lead time was 4-6 weeks but I'm not sure if that's from when I ordered it 2 weeks ago or from when they contacted me yesterday...

Spartanman22

They told me the same thing yesterday as well, I'm in front of you
Well hopefully they hurry it up! I don't trust my Geometric Moray without a top. My only complaint thus far is that I can totally understand the wait time for custom orders, but for tops they have designed for popular tanks should be a lot quicker. The programming should be all done and ready to go.

Spartanman22

Placed an 8020 order today for a DIY light mount. I've got real high expectations and think it's going to turn out real nice! Also received confirmation today that my screen top has shipped. I can't wait to see this thing in person!

Spartanman22

Anybody know of anyone locally who could make me a lid for the filtration compartment of my AIO? If so please send me their contact info!

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Anybody know of anyone locally who could make me a lid for the filtration compartment of my AIO? If so please send me their contact info!

can you adjust your AA order modify the lid or add another piece since you already paid for shipping?

xj_matt

Premium member

Sent you a pm.

- - - Updated - - -

Sent you a pm.

Spartanman22

can you adjust your AA order modify the lid or add another piece since you already paid for shipping?
I probably could have. It's now on it's way so a bit too late, but all it really needs to be is a one long thin piece of black acrylic. Nothing fancy and I don't want to pay the AA premium for something so simple. I'd do it myself but I don't want to buy a full 48" sheet just to make a 35 x 4" piece. So was hoping someone might have spare and be willing to make me one.

anarchy

I probably could have. It's now on it's way so a bit too late, but all it really needs to be is a one long thin piece of black acrylic. Nothing fancy and I don't want to pay the AA premium for something so simple. I'd do it myself but I don't want to buy a full 48" sheet just to make a 35 x 4" piece. So was hoping someone might have spare and be willing to make me one.

At home depot you should be able to buy smaller pieces

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Well it's been a hectic move but it's finally done. I made a huge oops with my blue gig when trying to transfer him out of the 80. Accidentally ripped him in half while removing him from the 80 gallon. The bigger half seems to be doing fine and the smaller half seems so-so. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll pull through and I'll have two.

Got the new tank all setup just need to finalize the ATO and get the dosing schedule worked out. Spent about 2 hours yesterday trying to mount and place some coral.

I made my light hangar out of 80/20 and am very pleased with the outcome! I also received my AA screen top and am a bit disappointed. The build and quality is great; however I explicitly stated that I wanted the screen to cover the display portion only and not the back filtration portion. I was planning on covering the back with a black lid. All-in-all not the end of the world, but because of the good-up the Apex autofeeder cutout is positioned on the back glass pane not on the filtration faux wall like I had planned. The autofeeder doesn't fit on the back pane with how close I have the tank up against the wall. I'd rather have the tank closer to the wall than use the autofeeder.

80/20 parts

Finished product