stocks!

roilciuc

I just saw this now, Yeah trading gnvc would have been great right when you said it. I noticed that most stocks dip a little around 10 and then bounce back so it would have been good, too bad it ended the day negative. I was going to day trade netflix today but I decided to go fishing instead. My 3 day trades have not cleared yet so I can't do any trades yet anyway. It's a good thing too since it didn't do so hot. Potbelly seems to be bouncing back.

I just saw this now, Yeah trading gnvc would have been great right when you said it. I noticed that most stocks dip a little around 10 and then bounce back so it would have been good, too bad it ended the day negative. I was going to day trade netflix today but I decided to go fishing instead. My 3 day trades have not cleared yet so I can't do any trades yet anyway. It's a good thing too since it didn't do so hot. Potbelly seems to be bouncing back.

Carl Icahn has sold his shares in Netflix, reportedly making a $825M profit, or a gain of 457% since last year.

Knuckles

Carl just bought Talisman Energy:TLM earlier this month. Showing a strong uptrend. Not sure if I'm pulling the trigger yet or not

steveo9043

So when I was able to start a 401k with work I stuck with the stock I had and just went with the 401k putting in 4% into my 401k.

I'm thinking about dropping it down to 2% and then playing with my other 2%.

However my company does match .25% of every 1% I put in. So technically 5% is being added and it's obviously 4% pretax so that makes it even more appealing.

Should I keep it how it is and then just when I get spare cash play? Drop it down some? Whatcha think?

Since starting my 401k at the beginning of the year I'm up 8.35%.

There was 5 different levels of risk and since I'm young I went with the 2nd riskiest level.

Mobile browsing

Sawdonkey

Premium member
So when I was able to start a 401k with work I stuck with the stock I had and just went with the 401k putting in 4% into my 401k.

However my company does match .25% of every 1% I put in. So technically 5% is being added and it's obviously 4% pretax so that makes it even more appealing.

Should I keep it how it is and then just when I get spare cash play? Drop it down some? Whatcha think?

There was 5 different levels of risk and since I'm young I went with the 2nd riskiest level.

Mobile browsing
Let it ride. Long term average is pretty decent. Even since 2008, the average is more than 13%. It is hard for individual investor to beat that and trying to time the market is a losing game. Sock it into your 401k and ride the ups and downs. You'll be better off in the long run.

Knuckles

Let it ride. Long term average is pretty decent. Even since 2008, the average is more than 13%. It is hard for individual investor to beat that and trying to time the market is a losing game. Sock it into your 401k and ride the ups and downs. You'll be better off in the long run.
Agreed. It's free money from your employer. Just put as much in that as u can. Invest in the market after U max the 401k out

lil risk = lil reward ,u have plenty of time to make more $$$ . take chances in life and you will prosper & also depends if your comfortable driving a Yugo and chillin in a chitown bungalow or if lavish lifestyle ,awesome vacations, summer homes, and sending your gal to Paris on a shopping spree then take some RISK !! and don't forget about real estate the economy still siks and lots of great deals
do some research on Warren Buffet,Carl Icahn,D Trump and see if they took risk's
GLWS

Sawdonkey

Premium member
do some research on Warren Buffet,Carl Icahn,D Trump and see if they took risk's
GLWS
For every one of those guys, there are hundreds that lost their *** that you'll never hear about. These aren't the guys talking about burning 1,200 gallons of gas in a few hours for fun. They are the guys trying to pay the gas bill at their house.

I think it is fine to take some risk as long as you can afford the loss. I wouldn't say this is the case for someone that just started a 401K less than a year ago? You've got to get some stability before you real risk on the table. Let your 401K give you some diversified risk for now.

For every one of those guys, there are hundreds that lost their *** that you'll never hear about. These aren't the guys talking about burning 1,200 gallons of gas in a few hours for fun. They are the guys trying to pay the gas bill at their house.

I think it is fine to take some risk as long as you can afford the loss. I wouldn't say this is the case for someone that just started a 401K less than a year ago? You've got to get some stability before you real risk on the table. Let your 401K give you some diversified risk for now.
Life is all about risks ,you sound like my Dad who argued with me when I bought my 1st home that it was a bad idea ,and then again when I bought some property in Frankfort that he said don't risk it and will never be able to build a subdivision there and guess what CHA CHING and I still love him and buy him a new Lincoln every 2 years .
http://www.flpowerboat.com/key-west-poker-run.html

Gary

Mobile browsing
What's the max your company matches? Total of 2%? or is it 1%? I'd throw in the min required to get the max from my employer. I'd bet on a 401k over stocks any day.

steveo9043

I'd still go higher, once I pay off my debt I'm going to probably do closer to 15%.
I don't think I want to do higher atm. I'm paying off credit card debt and such still. I hate credit cards lol.

I found out my company is hiring a part time IT person to help me out so I am wondering if that comes with a management title and a raise for me...

I plan on adding 50% of the percentage of every raise I get. So if I get a 4% raise I will up my 401k 2%.

Gary

I don't think I want to do higher atm. I'm paying off credit card debt and such still. I hate credit cards lol.

I found out my company is hiring a part time IT person to help me out so I am wondering if that comes with a management title and a raise for me...

I plan on adding 50% of the percentage of every raise I get. So if I get a 4% raise I will up my 401k 2%.
That's a good idea, also I'd consider paying off that credit card debt first before increasing 401k contributions. I have the same problem, most of my debt minus my car is all Credit Cards, most at decent rates, but one at a bad rate. High CC debt too, so I spent too much on interest.

steveo9043

That's a good idea, also I'd consider paying off that credit card debt first before increasing 401k contributions. I have the same problem, most of my debt minus my car is all Credit Cards, most at decent rates, but one at a bad rate. High CC debt too, so I spent too much on interest.
The plan is to have them all paid off with 2 more checks (so 4 weeks), its tempting to go lower payments this week so I can guarantee myself a new tank being ordered on Friday but I don't want to pay more in 2 weeks or extend it another 2 weeks and get hit with more interest.

Gary

The plan is to have them all paid off with 2 more checks (so 4 weeks), its tempting to go lower payments this week so I can guarantee myself a new tank being ordered on Friday but I don't want to pay more in 2 weeks or extend it another 2 weeks and get hit with more interest.
I'll trade you, I'm looking at like a year to pay off my CC debt, that's in best case scenario. I'm looking at like 20gs. Plus I just bought a house this year and a car. :O

steveo9043

I'll trade you, I'm looking at like a year to pay off my CC debt, that's in best case scenario. I'm looking at like 20gs. Plus I just bought a house this year and a car. :O
lol no thanks! I just got out of a large car payment and went to a lower one (300 less) so all that extra money went to CC debt, I'm saving about $350 a month in gas with this car too and that is going to CC debt, The reimbursement of the extended warranty went to CC debt too, Getting out of my second car payment in 3 months when my GF takes that car over, well she has the car now just not taking the payments over till Jan. Next paycheck I get will have my tuition reimbursement from work and that will all go to CC debt. I was lucky and only had about 5k in CC debt.

Spring I hope to buy a foreclosed house that needs work, spend the summer fixing it up and then moving in next fall.

So in other words.... you can keep your debt and Ill keep mine lol