Yellow tang keeps "twitching"

I bought a yellow tang from Xzotic this last Saturday, before I chose it I asked for it to be feed and of course was eating like a pig, got it straight from the quarantine tank in the back, drip acclimated him for about an hour, when he went in he went to hiding mode for a bit and started swimming around, he was fine, starting today Ive noticed he has these "twitching" burst out of nowhere, I see no ick or heavy breathing, my salinity is at 1.025, so can't be that, he swimming then starts twitching here and there. What can be the reason?

#theMatrix

U didnt dip or anything?

Is it twitching like its trying to shake something or twitching like it got shocked? Either way. I would say flukes....usually a shake like that is flukes and lately flukes has been everywhere. I did regardless of signs or no signs. Sort of like a washing of the fish prior to going anywhere after the store

I see it like a disinfectant step prior to entering your enclosed system.

Maybe stray volt in your "QT"....maybe sounds like flukes though

I usually don't dip, he's my first fish in my reef so I wasn't concerned so much but looks like I should be now with what you have said, I was researching yesterday and flukes was coming up but I was hoping it wasn't that, how can I treat him? Do I have to take him out? Or would a fresh water dip work? This guy is housed in a 90

fishtank44

Trying catch him out then dip in fw in 2 min only. Fluke will come out if any.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Bommie

I just dipped one of my fish, it was deff fluke!. Cant believe how many came off. Poor little guy in fresh water, I know he is gonna thank me tho. Time to bring out the QT.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
Just got a flame angel from them this Saturday. Not eating and scratching. FML. I am gonna dose PraziPro.

madjoe

Premium member
Just got a flame angel from them this Saturday. Not eating and scratching. FML. I am gonna dose PraziPro.
Careful with prazi pro in tank kills pods and the die off can cause issues. Usually its ok but i had it go bad lately . Just be careful

- - - Updated - - -

I just dipped one of my fish, it was deff fluke!. Cant believe how many came off. Poor little guy in fresh water, I know he is gonna thank me tho. Time to bring out the QT.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
Dam :(

#theMatrix

I got the red stripe hogfish...ate like a walrus at the store. Stared at the tank it was in for 40 minutes and studied its mates behavior. No signs of flashing scratching rubbing or twitching in it or its mates. Asked for it to be double bagged.

My process usually is as follows regardless of what or where its from.

Specimen floats in sump to temp.
3 containers. One with ro water, one with tank water and prazi and the last one with just tank water. These are not considered dips as i let it stay in each container for quite sometime so well call it baths. The ro will help with flukes if present then the prazi bath after...and finally tank water for a final decontamination before entering my system so it goes in with the same tank water as its going into.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I got the red stripe hogfish...ate like a walrus at the store. Stared at the tank it was in for 40 minutes and studied its mates behavior. No signs of flashing scratching rubbing or twitching in it or its mates. Asked for it to be double bagged.

My process usually is as follows regardless of what or where its from.

Specimen floats in sump to temp.
3 containers. One with ro water, one with tank water and prazi and the last one with just tank water. These are not considered dips as i let it stay in each container for quite sometime so well call it baths. The ro will help with flukes if present then the prazi bath after...and finally tank water for a final decontamination before entering my system so it goes in with the same tank water as its going into.
I will have to do this from now on. Thanks for the post!

- - - Updated - - -

Careful with prazi pro in tank kills pods and the die off can cause issues. Usually its ok but i had it go bad lately . Just be careful
I have the flame in my nano tank right now and I have 0 pods. Crossing my fingers all the snails and hermits will survive.

madjoe

Premium member
I will have to do this from now on. Thanks for the post!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the flame in my nano tank right now and I have 0 pods. Crossing my fingers all the snails and hermits will survive.
Mine did was just the pods and i had tons so ammonia went through the roof u should be good