Yellow tang keeps "twitching"

based on the research i've done this is the program i've implemented though there are many ways to accomplish the same thing and everyone is going to do something different. In general 8 weeks total is what i'm doing right now. I tried TTM and Prazi but with TTM doesn't address velvet and that seems to be all over the place. I also tried obtain CP but i couldn't find a vet that would write me a prescription without seeing a sick fish. I tried to explain to the vets that if I need to order this after I show you a sick fish the fish is probably going to die. No dice.

Week 1 - Goal is to get fish eating well by the end of the week. I won't start meds until the fish is eating (if showing signs of velvet I will start copper right away at full dose). I've got selcon to boost nutrition and garlic extreme as a backup to entice fish to eat prepared foods.
Week 2 - Start copper treatment with copper safe. Slowly raise copper levels to therapeutic levels over the week. This helps with copper sensitive fish likes wrasses. If the fish show poor reaction to copper treatment I am prepared to stop.
Weeks 3-6 - 4 weeks at therapeutic copper levels. Remove copper at end of treatment.
Week 7-8 - prazi pro for flukes, observation, further food training if not eating flakes/pellets at this point

I have the following meds ready in case it is needed:
furan 2 and erythromycin for bacterial infections
ruby reef rally for post fresh water dip treatment in case of velvet

It's alot of work and some level of investment in time (changing 25% water every week since no biological filtration), money, grief from wife for having 4 tanks up right now (1 coral qt, 2 fish qt 1 display) but for me i want to protect the display tank inhabitants as well as feeling responsible for the health of animals under my care.

hope this helps good luck with whatever you choose to do.
For real, well I'm going fishless for a long time so I have enough time to set up a qt and have time to qt fish before they are introduced, can anyone be nice enough and post pics of how they have their qt tanks set up,

carpetreef75

Premium member
For real, well I'm going fishless for a long time so I have enough time to set up a qt and have time to qt fish before they are introduced, can anyone be nice enough and post pics of how they have their qt tanks set up,
pretty simple really a tank, heater, hang on filter a few rocks and pvc pieces to hide /sleep . better head to petco ha
Bryan

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Here's my equipment list with some explanation behind it for why I do it like this. Again more than one way to accomplish works for me. I will go with more equipment if it saves me time and lowers risk of disaster.

Tank - sized to how many fish you plan on qting at a time. For me I like 40 gallons it gives me a good week without feeling nervous that the ammonia has built up to kill the fish
Heater - I use 2 undersized heaters for redundancy in case one fails and doesn't heat and in case 1 fails and stays on. Reduces chance of disaster.
Blowers - one for surface agitation for oxygen one to blow the detritus into one spot for quick and easy removal.
Seachem ammonia alert badge - 2 again for redundancy. Ammonia kills so I want to know if the levels are rising. fyi ammonia tests don't work when using copper. also if using this change the water as soon as it shows ammonia reading as the test is not accurate beyond showing the presence of ammonia.
pvc pipe for hiding
thermometer
ATO & container- i use this to maintain constant water level to maintain copper levels at therapeutic range.
Turkey baster & container - suck out detritus
cheap led light & timer
acyrlic sheet/egg crate - for jumpers (i've heard of fish that made it through egg crate)
1 gallon milk jug - use this to get a good enough idea what i change out at water changes
teaspoon - for copper dosing

carpetreef75

Premium member
The post suggest they have a good quarantine process. Is it possible OP got the tang before it has completed their QT process?
normally they dont keep fish long enuf for the QT process and there systems are copper to mask problems , stores dont bring in fish to sit on they need to sell and move stock to make moneys and buy more and repeat . I have been at a place when 1600 fish arrived in off the plane for acclimation on a wednesday and by the close of Sat you were lucky if there were 200 fish to pick from .do the math thats alot of fish that were taken to other fish stores and to reefers homes
Bryan

blkhwkz

Premium member
The post suggest they have a good quarantine process. Is it possible OP got the tang before it has completed their QT process?
1.5 weeks in QT is a terrible process, but better than some retail places. Most places that run copper don't test daily and aren't running therapeutic levels. Because they run low levels you may not notice symptoms on a fish for weeks. After the ich & velvet issue I had in one of my tanks last November, everything goes through at least 6 weeks of QT now. Freshwater dip, 30 days in chloriquine phosphate (for those fish that don't have issues with it, or else coppersafe for cp intolerant fish) 2 doses of prazi pro 5-7 days apart. Antibiotics are used only if needed. I do not want to have to go through another 76 day fallow period again.

shift9k

I don't have any room or "permission" for another tank/qt setup. Pretty sure I'm not alone in this. What if someone just setup a "fish hospital" we all buy fish come and drop them off (like how you would board your dog/cat). Come pick them up in a few weeks.

carpetreef75

Premium member
Permission ha lol cough cough i just spilled a Bloody Mary on that i laughed so Hard , sounds like u got a good business plan to open up shop . whats your address to start dropping off fish ?
Bryan

shift9k

Ha! If I started a business based on this hobby she'd be even more mad. I'm definitely down to throw some money down if someone wants a silent partner!!

blkhwkz

Premium member
I don't have any room or "permission" for another tank/qt setup. Pretty sure I'm not alone in this. What if someone just setup a "fish hospital" we all buy fish come and drop them off (like how you would board your dog/cat). Come pick them up in a few weeks.
I was actually thinking of this a few weeks ago, but it would be difficult to do correctly. Hard to make any guarantees to people who drop off fish, they could be beyond the point of saving. You would need a bunch of different tanks all 10 foot or more apart to get past aerosol transmission of certain diseases. They all need to be plumbed separately. Once tanks have fish in and the 30 day timer starts (if you are dosing copper or cp and not doing tank transfer method) you can't put anything else in that tank without resetting the clock.

#theMatrix

I was actually thinking of this a few weeks ago, but it would be difficult to do correctly. Hard to make any guarantees to people who drop off fish, they could be beyond the point of saving. You would need a bunch of different tanks all 10 foot or more apart to get past aerosol transmission of certain diseases. They all need to be plumbed separately. Once tanks have fish in and the 30 day timer starts (if you are dosing copper or cp and not doing tank transfer method) you can't put anything else in that tank without resetting the clock.
Heres some reading material.

http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php/29474-Fish-QT-service-is-there-need-for-it-and-how-much-would-you-pay