Considering an auto top-off

Ajmal C

Hello CR, I am considering getting an auto top-off system.

After reading mixed reviews of the numerous brands out there, I think Tunze is the way I want to go.

Was leaning towards the Osmolator Nano (3152 model) namely because the (3155 model) is double the price but also because I have a small tank (20G) so didn't want to over-kill it.

Can anyone chime in with some experience with these models, or any other brand name that proved reliable? My main concern with the Osmolator nano is that it depends solely on 1 float switch and has no sensors. Also heard that the pump that it is supplied with isn't strong enough to travel more than 2 feet. I need it to pump about 3.5 feet up.

Thanks a bunch.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I have the Osmolator Nano and I just took it out and shoved it into the closet. It worked flawlessly for about 6 months then one night it dumped all the water into the tank. Woke me up with the pump in the reservoir running dry. Took the sensor out, cleaned it, popped it back in, and worked for a couple of weeks. Then same thing. For no reason, it won't stop pumping water. Happened 3 more times after that and I had enough. It sometimes work, sometimes go crazy.

Ajmal C

[MENTION=2045]ninjamyst[/MENTION]
Wow! Sorry to hear about that headache. Hope your tank was okay and that the salinity wasn't altered too much. That is my greatest fear, to have it dump the whole reservoir. My tank and carpet couldn't handle that.

Did it not have a fail safe shut-off?

Did you switch to a different brand after?

jrpark22000

Premium member
I have the Osmolator Nano and I just took it out and shoved it into the closet. It worked flawlessly for about 6 months then one night it dumped all the water into the tank. Woke me up with the pump in the reservoir running dry. Took the sensor out, cleaned it, popped it back in, and worked for a couple of weeks. Then same thing. For no reason, it won't stop pumping water. Happened 3 more times after that and I had enough. It sometimes work, sometimes go crazy.
Had similar fault. After following up with tunze, it was due to the magnet mount being too strong, it would draw the magnet in the float to it. This friction after a while would stick the float. They were suppose to come out with a new mount but I never followed up as I took down the pico tank the ato was on. The thread discussing it is on RC in the tunze section.

Ajmal C

Had similar fault. After following up with tunze, it was due to the magnet mount being too strong, it would draw the magnet in the float to it. This friction after a while would stick the float. They were suppose to come out with a new mount but I never followed up as I took down the pico tank the ato was on. The thread discussing it is on RC in the tunze section.
Good to know, will try and read the thread on RC, still really skeptical about the nano. Have you had a more sound experience with any other brands?

ninjamyst

Premium member
[MENTION=2045]ninjamyst[/MENTION]
Wow! Sorry to hear about that headache. Hope your tank was okay and that the salinity wasn't altered too much. That is my greatest fear, to have it dump the whole reservoir. My tank and carpet couldn't handle that.

Did it not have a fail safe shut-off?

Did you switch to a different brand after?
Luckily my reservoir is small because I only have a 12 gallon nano tank. It emptied the reservoir before the fail safe kicked in. I think it's set to 3 or 5 mins. In that time, it couldd have pumped gallons of water into the tank already. If they intended it to be used for nano tanks, they should have made the fail safe 30s. I switched to my hands, best brand there is =P.

Ajmal C

Luckily my reservoir is small because I only have a 12 gallon nano tank. It emptied the reservoir before the fail safe kicked in. I think it's set to 3 or 5 mins. In that time, it couldd have pumped gallons of water into the tank already. If they intended it to be used for nano tanks, they should have made the fail safe 30s....
Yes makes sense to make it shorter.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

Premium member
I read too so I put a thin cardboard between the magnet and the tank...still happened =(

Jep21

have the tunze nano ato for my tanks and it works flawlessly. Have it on both my 28g jbj and 10g reef fusion. Hopefully i dont run into any issues like you guys "crosses fingers"

Ajmal C

have the tunze nano ato for my tanks and it works flawlessly. Have it on both my 28g jbj and 10g reef fusion. Hopefully i dont run into any issues like you guys "crosses fingers"
How long have you had them running?

Darienreefs7

I have the auto aqua smart ato from coralvue. I have no complaints. However since brs had a nice sale from black Friday I picked up the tunze one too.

Ajmal C

I have the auto aqua smart ato from coralvue. I have no complaints. However since brs had a nice sale from black Friday I picked up the tunze one too.
Have you had the coralvue for a while?

Nice! Did you pick up the Tunze nano and have you had chance to try it out yet?

Darienreefs7

I've had coralvue for a few months. It's really awesome cause it beeps if the top off reservoir is low. The pump is super small and overall best thing I've bought so far aside from my apex. I haven't tryed the tunze out yet but everyone has them and found mine for $140 on brs. It's the regular not the nano.

Ajmal C

I've had coralvue for a few months. It's really awesome cause it beeps if the top off reservoir is low. The pump is super small and overall best thing I've bought so far aside from my apex. I haven't tryed the tunze out yet but everyone has them and found mine for $140 on brs. It's the regular not the nano.
That is an awesome price for the Tunze 3155!!! I am seeing it for $200 everywhere.

Watching some vids on the AutoAqua looks pretty neat and simple. Do you know how the sensor works, is it optical? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?

Darienreefs7

Yep brs had a nice black Friday sale. And yes the AutoAqua uses an optical eye instead of using float switches. Tunze uses both

Darienreefs7

If I didn't find such a good deal on the tunze I would have just gotten another coralvue. The tunze nano looks great for the price