Considering an auto top-off

anarchy

This is my .02 but um drunk so take it as a grain of salt... haha I sound like my dad. Anyway I digress. Eventually whatever top off you get will fail. My diy ato has failed 3 times in a year but it was cheap. The point is get a good deal on whichever you choose. I get cheaper equipment for this reason. Alot of people won't agree with it but if mine fails I'm not out alot of money for a new one

Siebo

Premium member
I have been running a jbj ato for the past 2.5 years with a tom's aqua lifter pump. Not a single issue to date. Knock on wood! It also shuts off after about a minute of pumping. So with that pump you have nothing to worry about with volume.

Ajmal C

This is my .02 but um drunk so take it as a grain of salt... haha I sound like my dad. Anyway I digress. Eventually whatever top off you get will fail. My diy ato has failed 3 times in a year but it was cheap. The point is get a good deal on whichever you choose. I get cheaper equipment for this reason. Alot of people won't agree with it but if mine fails I'm not out alot of money for a new one
HAHAHAHAH, I believe the Romans called C2H5OH the elixir of truth, so you must be spittn' something real. Appreciated your 2 cents. I have had to go down the cheaper route myself, hence I have HOB equipment. Would have loved to get some of the state of the art equipment out there but my love and greed for this hobby far out weigh the reality of my situation, I'm sure this inflicts a lot of us at CR. Thanks again [MENTION=2612]anarchy[/MENTION].

Last edited:

Ajmal C

I have been running a jbj ato for the past 2.5 years with a tom's aqua lifter pump. Not a single issue to date. Knock on wood! It also shuts off after about a minute of pumping. So with that pump you have nothing to worry about with volume.
Haven't looked at the JBJ's yet. always skeptical about their stuff, don't know why. Will look into it after hearing such a success story. Thanks

Ajmal C

Thanks [MENTION=1185]William Lutman[/MENTION] and [MENTION=189]trackfast[/MENTION]. Went to the autotopoff.com site.

T'was indeed a big 'BAM' for me. Hahahahahah! Prices look awesome!! Seems I would have never happened upon this awesomeness despite all my googling.

Love how they protect the float with PVC.

A couple of questions for you guys.
1)Do you guys have to clean any salt creep from the float?

2)If I am to understand correctly I would need to purchase A)the float mechanism (specific type of mount), B)The pump and C)tubing... is there anything else I am missing from the list?

rockhead

Been running a Jbj for 3-4 yrs and never had a problem only with the aqualift pump and that wasn't a big deal just needed new diaphragms put in just took forever to fill , it just keep running

Tom

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Thanks [MENTION=1185]William Lutman[/MENTION] and [MENTION=189]trackfast[/MENTION]. Went to the autotopoff.com site.

T'was indeed a big 'BAM' for me. Hahahahahah! Prices look awesome!! Seems I would have never happened upon this awesomeness despite all my googling.

Love how they protect the float with PVC.

A couple of questions for you guys.
1)Do you guys have to clean any salt creep from the float?

2)If I am to understand correctly I would need to purchase A)the float mechanism (specific type of mount), B)The pump and C)tubing... is there anything else I am missing from the list?
1) I rinse the sensors with rodi water whenever I do a water change.
2) that's all you need; I'm guessing you have an ATO reservoir already.

Ajmal C

1) I rinse the sensors with rodi water whenever I do a water change.
2) that's all you need; I'm guessing you have an ATO reservoir already.
yes already have a couple of options for a reservoir.

either going with a Rubbermaid (27 gallon) tote or an aquarium (10 gallon). I'm leaning more towards the aquarium due to possible leaching of chemicals throughout the life of the Rubbermaid.

Ajmal C

If you have a controller the avast ark is the best with a float cutoff to ensure you will not flood your home. http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/Top-off-Kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Nope don't have a controller, not sure if I want one yet. I am assuming they make life a whole lot easier when it comes to daily aquarium husbandry. Just a little overwhelming with the price and the programming.

Last edited:

fredfish13

have 2 avast ato on my tanks. one is connected to an apex, the other is a stand alone. just set the valve and plug the pump into the outlet. no programming involved with the stand alone. both have worked flawlessly for almost 2 years.

anarchy

HAHAHAHAH, I believe the Romans called C2H5OH the elixir of truth, so you must be spittn' something real. Appreciated your .02 cents. I have had to go down the cheaper route myself, hence I have HOB equipment. Would have loved to get some of the state of the art equipment put there but my love and greed for this hobby far out weigh the reality of my situation, I'm sure this inflicts a lot of us at CR. Thanks again [MENTION=2612]anarchy[/MENTION].
Haha didn't realize I drank that much. Didn't even know I was on CR that night

madjoe

Premium member
Haven't looked at the JBJ's yet. always skeptical about their stuff, don't know why. Will look into it after hearing such a success story. Thanks
Ive had my jbj on my reef for 8 yrs or so no issues i dont even clean sensors lol i have same on my fowlr for five yrs now and one sensor went bad very happy with them

Ajmal C

Ive had my jbj on my reef for 8 yrs or so no issues i dont even clean sensors lol i have same on my fowlr for five yrs now and one sensor went bad very happy with them
Wow 8 years is definitely a pass for standards of quality. More fire to the fuel for researching and trying to find a good deal for some JBJ's.
Any idea for nano models and what would a good price on them be.

Ajmal C

have 2 avast ato on my tanks. one is connected to an apex, the other is a stand alone. just set the valve and plug the pump into the outlet. no programming involved with the stand alone. both have worked flawlessly for almost 2 years.
if its dummy proof then it's definitely something I can look into. thanks.