Considering an auto top-off

fredfish13

I think I actually put a little wood shelf inside my stand that the aqua lifter sat on so it sat a little higher.

Ajmal C

Not sure about the numbers. But in my old set up of a 20 long, I had to put the pump at aquarium level then ran the intake tube down to reservoir which might have been a couple feet. You could possibly set up your reservoir on some type of stand just to raise it a foot or so to help.
Will keep that in mind, just have to figure out a way to mount it, maybe to the wall somehow.

fredfish13

Not sure what retail website I saw this on, but the aqua lifter has a hook that is sold separately to hold in place on back of aquarium or stand. Premium aquatics, dr foster or brs.

Ajmal C

Not sure what retail website I saw this on, but the aqua lifter has a hook that is sold separately to hold in place on back of aquarium or stand. Premium aquatics, dr foster or brs.
Thanks, will search online. Would save me a lot of hassle.

Inocense

I have the Tunze 3152 on my 29g biocube.. No problems at all and I have been using it for a few months. Best purchase by far for my tank thus far.. :)

Ajmal C

So I started off with one ATO in mind, the Tunze 3152 Nano, but now have a few more choices on hand.

There is the system from autotopoff.com that incorporates the economical float switch but with the added benefit of a PVC guard to protect against snails etc.

Also in this range is the JBJ ATO which has proved reliable for tonnes of reefers.

Finally at the higher end of the monetary scale there are the Autoaqua smart ATO and the Tunze 3155.

Please share anymore experiences with this, that or the other ...

Thanks for all your input thus far CR.

Ron.M

I have the avast marine one on all of my tanks. Never had one problem. The newest version comes with a dosing pump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajmal C

I have the avast marine one on all of my tanks. Never had one problem. The newest version comes with a dosing pump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was checking out the AVAST ATO online, was wondering if it only a sump mount? I only have HOB equipment and no sump. Not sure if the AVAST can mount to tanks also my tank is limited for space 20 G High.

fredfish13

both my tanks have avast ato on them. had one on my 20long with no sump. when i upgraded to the 65g, just transferred it over from the 20 and put in my sump. uses a magnet to mount. very easy and fool proof.
you will get people telling you this ato or that ato is better. just like a controllers- apex, reefkeepers, or reef angels. everyone has their preferences and reasons. I might have looked at tunze ato, but researched the avast and bought for my 1st tank. never had any issues with it so bought another for my second tank. if i get a third tank, avast is what i would buy. their customer service is great.

babbyk

Premium member
I have the smart ato on my reef, i like it, pretty simple. i have used the JBJ unit in the past and actually just ordered one for my other tank, also had good experience with that one.

zportell

I just purchased the Hydor smart ATO.. runs on sensors. It's been about 2 weeks since having it on my system and not once have I noticed anything funny about it. The alarm did go off once. From what I saw, when the alarm goes off, the pump is shut off. I have a maxijet plumbed to it. Pump fills up my sump, back to expected levels, in about 4 minutes.

I am taking the chance of limiting the amount of moving parts to fail. This one has 0 moving parts with a magnet to keep sensors in place.

rockhead

On my new setup in going with the rkl float switches and to Aqua lift pump, one float is for top off and the other is a alarm if it gets to low of water in that chamber where the pump is at

Tom

Ajmal C

both my tanks have avast ato on them. had one on my 20long with no sump. when i upgraded to the 65g, just transferred it over from the 20 and put in my sump. uses a magnet to mount. very easy and fool proof.
you will get people telling you this ato or that ato is better. just like a controllers- apex, reefkeepers, or reef angels. everyone has their preferences and reasons. I might have looked at tunze ato, but researched the avast and bought for my 1st tank. never had any issues with it so bought another for my second tank. if i get a third tank, avast is what i would buy. their customer service is great.
So no probs with the magnet mount rite on the 20 long, good to know.

rockhead

More to add to this ever growing list.
[MENTION=2509]rockhead[/MENTION], what are rkl float switches?
It's the reef keeper controller that you can add and add to floats are just one of the many things , like a apex

Tom