Considering an auto top-off

Ajmal C

Thanks a bunch everyone for sharing your advice and experience on this matter.

I am leaving Chicago and have broken down the majority of my tank and am contemplating starting a 10 gallon with my zoas and sps namely Birdsnest Seriatopora sp. and Montipora digitata forest fires.

I have decided to go with a double switch system from autotopoff.com and use it in conjunction with a KollerKraft Tom's aqualifter pump.

Received good reviews from you guys and the web, plus I prefer to give business to local businesses instead.

Also they have been very vigilant with explaining what would be the best set-up for my particular design and you gotta love good Customer Service.

If my system is set-up, I will definitely give you my 2 cents on the matter.

Thanks again!!

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I have decided to go with a double switch system from autotopoff.com and use it in conjunction with a KollerKraft Tom's aqualifter pump

Thanks again!!
One thing I would do is get another plastic hanger to hang the dual switches separately. Up to you but here is a picture of mine and they sit pretty far apart so depending in your setup it may throw off the salinity pretty quickly.

Love everything else about it though!

View attachment 9095

Ajmal C

One thing I would do is get another plastic hanger to hang the dual switches separately. Up to you but here is a picture of mine and they sit pretty far apart so depending in your setup it may throw off the salinity pretty quickly.

Love everything else about it though!

View attachment 9095
Sorry I'm a little confused. You're saying the second switch should be placed far away so as not to throw off the salinity? Please clarify.

The one I'm planning on getting has a switch like yours and a different 'upper switch which will be higher up. Also tank mounted for both due to no sump.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
So the hanging kit mine came with has a lot of room between the top and bottom float switch which leaves for a lot of water if the first switch fails. You may need to get two brackets to hang then at a closer height to minimize the risk of a salinity swing if the first switch fails.

Ajmal C

So the hanging kit mine came with has a lot of room between the top and bottom float switch which leaves for a lot of water if the first switch fails. You may need to get two brackets to hang then at a closer height to minimize the risk of a salinity swing if the first switch fails.
Oh awesome, thanks for the heads up! Will be getting two separate brackets. Should I place them far apart or close together?

But other than that you're saying you're quite happy with it huh?

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I don't think the distance matters except for where the height of the water triggers both switches should not add too much water if the 1st fails. Especially in a small tank.

Extremely happy with it though!

Ajmal C

I don't think the distance matters except for where the height of the water triggers both switches should not add too much water if the 1st fails. Especially in a small tank.

Extremely happy with it though!
Got it. Height is the most important, cuz you don't want to raise the water level too much with freshwater. Thanks a bunch!