Crabs 155g In-Wall Fish Room Build

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Nice frag pack.
Is this going in a quarantine tank for corals or in general for observation.

After the dip. I'd say it's ready for the display. Corals don't get affected by cycles from what others told me 4yrs ago.
Other than them being covered in blooms and not getting photo periods. Stay ontop of blowing it off with a baster and the display is good
Quarantine for 14 days and re-dip before entering the main display. That is unless something is found.

I still have ammonia unprocessed in the main display so I'm going to wait until it can process 1ppm in 24 hours before adding anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Got the bulbs replaced in my QT fixture to a aquablue special and blue+ bulb combo.

Built a rack higher up and the corals look very happy today.

Amozoc

Premium member
Nice frag pack.

After the dip. I'd say it's ready for the display. Corals don't get affected by cycles from what others told me 4yrs ago.
Other than them being covered in blooms and not getting photo periods. Stay ontop of blowing it off with a baster and the display is good
So if hard corals are not affected by cycles why my tank has more than a year old and i cannot grow any hard coral? All of the 3 i got before died, i have one bird nest and is brow so until
I know hard corals are for experienced reefers and tanks well stablished or am
I wrong ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thor

JMalone81

Nice frag pack.

Are you joking?

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
So if hard corals are not affected by cycles why my tank has more than a year old and i cannot grow any hard coral? All of the 3 i got before died, i have one bird nest and is brow so until
I wrong ?

I'm under the belief that a stable system is required for hard corals. I'll let my system vet through the worst of the uglies before introducing coral. Maybe a tester haha. Otherwise it will be near impossible to keep numbers stable.

That said, the rock has been curing for over two months.. I still expect the uglies and time for the bacteria to build up for the bioload I plan to introduce slowly.

That said, there is more than one way to skin a cat in this hobby!

Last edited:

#theMatrix

Are you joking?
No. I'm not. That comment was directed at Jon's husbandry hand and his set up. He's track record merits my reply to him about putting his pack into his new cycle. Not just any persons new tank.

I wrong ?

We've all been there. And with experience you will be able to grow corals. But. With out knowledge of your system I can't help you. Nor do I want to crowd Jon's thread with off topic talk
But from experience. If you're not dosing, youre not growing. To me. Water changes arnt enough for growth.

We preach how water changes are soooo important but at the same time we also side preach how stability is key.
But for those couple hours you threw your stability out of wack for that month trying to reach steady bumbers with a water change. I'm sure new water wasn't at system temp for most when the swap is not is it always mix at the same traces.

Start a topic. I'd like to hear about your struggles and happy to suggest options

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
We'll see how the tester frag does when I confirm ammonia is processing properly

Amozoc

Premium member
No. I'm not. That comment was directed at Jon's husbandry hand and his set up. He's track record merits my reply to him about putting his pack into his new cycle. Not just any persons new tank.

We've all been there. And with experience you will be able to grow corals. But. With out knowledge of your system I can't help you. Nor do I want to crowd Jon's thread with off topic talk
But from experience. If you're not dosing, youre not growing. To me. Water changes arnt enough for growth.

We preach how water changes are soooo important but at the same time we also side preach how stability is key.
But for those couple hours you threw your stability out of wack for that month trying to reach steady bumbers with a water change. I'm sure new water wasn't at system temp for most when the swap is not is it always mix at the same traces.

Start a topic. I'd like to hear about your struggles and happy to suggest options
Thanks my friend i think i am lack of nutrientes i have 0 amonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 phosphate

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Thanks my friend i think i am lack of nutrientes i have 0 amonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 phosphate

If you are shooting for SPS, try to get nitrates to at least 1ppm-5ppm and phosphates to 0.02ppm.

If you want to verify, drop enough ammonia into the tank to give you 1ppm and make sure that it fully processes it in 24 hours

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I have changing water 3 gl every 6 weeks and same results

You shouldn't need to change water during a cycle unless you are trying to remove contaminants. You do want to make sure when you add bioload that the bacteria can keep up with it.

That's where the ammonia test comes in. It is relatively cheap online.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
This guy healed up nicely where he was fragged on the top. Completely healed over.

This guy seems to be trying to grow already... not completely buying it though.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Excellent news!! I'm very very close to moving over my first two fish into the display and purchase new fish for QT!!

Extreme Davinci Clownfish

Issues/concerns overcome:
  • Temperature/Heater Run Time - My heaters were on CONSTANTLY! I checked the on-off logging through Apex and due to the basements cool 71 degrees, I was shocked to see that two 300W heaters were barely keeping up.
    • I opened vents in the basement to get additional heat from the furnace and raised the room temperature to around 75F
    • I added glass tops, purchased glass cuts from Ace Hardware.
After doing both of these changes, my heaters now run a more normal schedule which also knocked off $15/mo on the electrical bill :eek:
  • Ammonia/Nitrite Cycle - My system finally processes 1ppm ammonia in 24 hours! I probably should have been dosing ammonia all along but I just recently purchased a bottle of ammonia chloride and dosed enough to raise by 256g to 1ppm. First time I did this it took around 4 days to show normal on my Seachem Ammonia badge. This last round, it took less than 24 hours.
I'm going to run it one more time to confirm, test nitrite, and then nitrate and move the fish over.

Then comes my next purchase to Live Aquaria.. as of now, my plan is:
  • 1x Midas Blenny (Maldives)
  • 3x Zebra Barred Dartfish
  • 3x Cardinalfish
For the cardinalfish, my fiance wants the black/silver cardinalfish; however, after reading up on these particular cardinalfish, they tend not to do well in small groups as compared to Yellowstriped or Red cardinalfish. Let's see if she gives o_O

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
These two tank raised fish don't know what to do with such a large tank..